Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek 275/65 R20 closer to 35/11.5 clearance issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to replace my Cooper AT3S's and see they came out with a Hybrid tire called the Rugged Trek earlier this year so there are only a few reviews.

So first has anyone used them yet and if so what is your opinion of them? Then I looked at the specs and the size I was interested in is usually with other brands showing 34/11 and this is showing 34.7/11.5. Curious if I will have any rubbing issues? My truck has the ProComp leveling Struts set at 2.75" and Zone UCA's. My current tires are the 275/60R20 which is a 33/11 on the original chrome clad wheels.

I suspect I will be fine but don't want to buy them and discover there is an issue with rubbing.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have 275/65-20 nitto ridge grapples on mine with no lift and it doesn't rub at all on stock wheels. With the lift I doubt there would be an issue even if it is a bit bigger. The guys running 35 12.5 need about a 1/2" more wheel offset to clear properly with the lift you have but you're narrow enough to account for that. I'd try and verify the website listing given it's a new tire and could be a mistake on the site. Metric tires are all pretty darn close in size. That sounds closer to a 285 or 295/65-20

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be fine though they’re advertising them a little bigger than similary sized tires from other brands. The size is tipically more of a 34 but not all tires are created equally some run small and some run a little bigger same size numbers on the sidewalls. If this one run on the big side as advertised so should be ok. I ran KO2 37x12.5x17 for 12k miles with a 2.5-2.75” lift without issues and didn’t have to do anything drastic. You shouldn't have any issues with a smaller/skinnier tire.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you guys using stock wheels? Concerned I may need different backspace to clear.
I guarantee they are not, but 37s is a huge difference from what you're looking at. I'm stock wheel with no spacers or other modification/the size you're looking at and no lift at all. No rub at all on mine and I run some rough roads and jobsites. You're good

Daves Handy Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8 Gas
I need to replace my Cooper AT3S's and see they came out with a Hybrid tire called the Rugged Trek earlier this year so there are only a few reviews.

So first has anyone used them yet and if so what is your opinion of them? Then I looked at the specs and the size I was interested in is usually with other brands showing 34/11 and this is showing 34.7/11.5. Curious if I will have any rubbing issues? My truck has the ProComp leveling Struts set at 2.75" and Zone UCA's. My current tires are the 275/60R20 which is a 33/11 on the original chrome clad wheels.

I suspect I will be fine but don't want to buy them and discover there is an issue with rubbing.

Thanks in advance!
I am curious if you pulled the trigger on the Rugged Treks? I bought mine a few months ago (my first all terrain/mud tire) and the truck rear end felt unstable/squirrelly when cornering to the left. I could only feel it in the rear end - just wouldn’t “grab”, almost like a dead shock not pushing the tire down for full traction. Had the tires switched side to side and the problem moved to the other side - so it was weak when cornering to the right. So replaced the bad tire under warranty (Discount Tire). Then had the fronts moved to the back to test that pair. Sure enough, one side was also weak. Had them replace that tire. Unfortunately, the replacement also feels weak, but both the store manager’s and my own patience had worn thin. So I decided to live with it. It’s been a month or two since then and haven’t thought about it recently, so I’ll test it tomorrow to see if the tire “stiffened up” as I have heard some people call it.

The Rugged Treks are definitely not as on-road grippy as the used Michelins that came last Fall with my used truck (2015 2500 quad cab gas guzzler), but off road traction is phenomenal - grips the steep gravel/rocky driveway where I now live and easily moved my 2WD truck through the North Georgia mud/clay the one time I took it on a light trail. Noise level was very minor when new and now barely noisy but not annoying. We’ll see how they wear with the 50K-mile warranty vs my fairy aggressive driving style.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any updates on the Rugged Treks from anyone?