Cost to have the differential and transfer case oil changed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aero320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6 Eco Diesel
I have a 2020 1500 Ram with Hemi … it has been trouble free and has 67K miles. I was having the oil changed at a dealer last week and they suggested having the oil changed in the differentials and transfer case. The price they quoted me was $900. That seems high to me … what is a fair price for this service?

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the fluids from the dealership and changed my own. Can’t remember for sure but I’m thinking just the fluids were $100. Took all of an hour to drain and refill. Probably could have gotten out cheaper but the Ram was new to me and I wanted to be sure of the correct fluids. Took an hour but I was just taking my time and having a bit of fun. Could have done it in thirty minutes if I was in a hurry.
Did they offer lube for you to bend you over like that?

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had mine done a while back, I can't tell you exactly how much it was because I do not remember but it was closer to maybe $200-250. And yes this was at a dealer. I think you might want to look elsewhere.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have a 2020 1500 Ram with Hemi … it has been trouble free and has 67K miles. I was having the oil changed at a dealer last week and they suggested having the oil changed in the differentials and transfer case. The price they quoted me was $900. That seems high to me … what is a fair price for this service?
No. My local dealership charges about $180 for each diff and transfer case...so you're looking at under $600 everywhere else. Call your local, trusted garage and see what they charge. The service is so freaking easy that there's no reason to take it to a dealership. You can do it on your own for real cheap, but if you want someone else to deal with the mess, then take it to an independent shop. You'll still have record it was done and save a few bucks in the process.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to the forum, the services you are inquiring about are easier then an oil change to do yourself.

Note when you are under the truck, each item has a low hole and a top hole, diffs are "should" be rubber. Now, with transfer case, two main things, always take the top nut off first in case you can't, and make sure you do not over torque because transfer cases can fracture if you over torque them. If diffs have bolts, again just take top bolt off first, if it is rubber and bottom is a bolt, whatever best practice top nut comes off first, then simply drain.,

So if you don't buy amsoil severe gear with the bags, you will need a slippery pete type pump, those attach to the quart container, make sure you get the right slippery pete for the correct item you order, if you order gallons you get the gallon size, if quart you get the picture. Once drained you put the bottom bolt back, then fill til it pours through open top bolt, put top bolt back, done.

Now, 900 is sick, I hope for the dealers sake they meant removing diff cover and hyper cleaning with new gaskets etc.

Check you manual, most rams

75w90 or 80w90 or 85w90 for front diff, any will work 75w90 is the most popular
75w140 rear diff
Atf 4 for transfer case, need to verify that for sure

You do not need lsd additive whether you have it or not, all gear fluids now add this regardless unless it is a specialty fluid.

Bottom line, go under truck and verify you can find the two holes on each item.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Honestly as I get older, doing these things is a lot harder for me to do. But since the trucks set up higher than a car for instance its not too bad. $900 is stupid expensive. I see the prices on the boards at the dealer for some of these services, and its insane what they charge for these simple tasks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You should know
Dealers UPSELL their services & products

They don't go by normal service Mileage or months
they go by Extreme Use Vehicles mileage, like Taxi Cabs, Police vehicles,
Ambulances, etc.

So without checking your vehicles Service Schedules
i would have to believe, that your vehicles mileage, has not reached the time for service.

Even online, they seem to be assuming service mileage

When should I change my transfer case fluid Ram 1500?

While it's always best to follow the manufacturers' recommendations, changing the Ram 1500 transfer case fluid around 80,000 miles to 90,000 miles should be acceptable under normal driving conditions.

This is not from the owners manual
you need to check your manual

2015+ Ram 1500 Models Only​

• Engine oil change every 5,000 to 7,500 miles
  • Tire rotation every other oil change
  • Front end alignment once a year
  • Engine air filter every 15,000 miles
  • Adjust parking brake every 30,000 miles
  • Coolant every 10 years or 150,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission service every 60,000 miles
  • Front and rear axle fluid service every 60,000 miles – 30K if severe use
  • Transfer case fluid service every 60,000 miles – 30K if severe use
  • Serpentine belt replacement every 100,000 miles

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's almost the price of a automatic transmission fluid change here in Billings,Mt.

Dealer price $825 independent $750.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems a bit high if just drain and fill - which is all that is needed (I can't remember if the front diff has a drain plug though, if not it will need the cover removed).

The rear and transfer case literally are easier than the engine oil to drain and fill.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
* if you have a skid plate with an access hole, do yourself a favour and drop the skid plate first.

* additional additive is not likely required with today's lubricants.

* Always confirm the correct fluid viscosity and type, using your manual.

Last edited:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
At $31+/L you'll need 2.5L so 3 bottles of 75w90-140 to do the rear diff. MT-LV seems to be nigh unobtanium but you'll need 1.5L so 2 bottles. $160 and an hour of your time to do it yourself.
IMG_20230719_145651.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
No way would I pay that much! I have 2500 and did all 3 of these myself replacing both diff covers, gold plug magnetic plugs, and came nowhere close to that and now have simple drain plugs to work with for next time without popping a diff cover ever again. Plenty of how to's here on this site and tons of experience with all these great people here to get it done right and save some money. Your call, but that price is stealing IMHO!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
2 weeks ago, i had Dodge do a Motor Oil & filter change
they also knew that i was about to drive coast to coast & return
I wanted them to please check the rear differential.
They said they always do, i told them that my records about 10 years ago, would show that they don't always check it. They bought me a rear differential.

They were surprised when the checked it, i was observing from a distance.
This differential, as well as the one that they replaced both have a dipstick to check the fluid level

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I struggled on which rear diff to go with when I bought mine. Not saying one is better than the other, but I did buy into the data hype in the end.

Magnet in plugs (fill and drain) comes with it as well. I went with no paint version and shaker can matched to the truck. I don't paint that well, but it came out awesome tbh!

Number one thing I like about it, is the sight glass window for oil level. I bet nearly every time I'm in the driveway and can see it, I'm checking that level. Just cause it's there! Link to Banks

Porkbutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Typical dealer deal IMO. After they overcharge you a few hundred bucks, you wonder if they actually changed any fluids at all, and if so, with what?

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Sir you are being robbed. In total you need 2 different types of oil and only a few liters ( quarts) of each. Should cost you about $100 to do it yourself and there are how to's on this site or go on you tube. Its a simple task. even a tranny shop shouldn't be much more than a couple hundred.