Couple questions about new buy 3500 options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CraigH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm looking at trading in my 2015 2500 6.4 on a new 3500. I tow a 35' 5er that has a gvwr of 11,000 lbs. I've done all the online building I can do on Ram's website but they aren't clear on some options.
  1. If I get the diesel with the Aisin trans, is it the 930 ft/lb torque rating with just that? Or, do I need to have the dual real wheel option as well?
  2. I heard you could only get 3.73's or 4.10's with a dually, but it looks like I can select 3.73's on the Ram site if I choose a Mega Cab short bed. Is that a mistake on the site or can I go with 3.73's if I go Mega Cab?
  3. Payload jumps quite a bit going to a Mega Cab 6' bed single rear wheel, is that because of the increased wheelbase?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer. I'd contact a dealer but it seams they never have a clue if it's not on their lot or something they can locate locally. When I start asking ordering questions, they look at me like I have 6 heads..

Craig

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

1. You don't need to buy the dually to get the 930 torque rated Cummins. The option you do need to get it is the Aisin transmission.

2 I believe that's a mistake or oversite on the website. You should be able to get 3.73's in the standard and crew cab models.

3. I believe that's a mistake or oversight on the website. the MegaCab 6'-4" bed model has a wheelbase of 160" as does the CrewCab 8'-0" bed model. The CrewCab 6'-4" bed model has a wheelbase of 149" but I don't know why, or if, that's the determing factor regarding payload.