CP-4 Recall notice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greyhound240

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I received the recall notice from Ram on the CP-4 high-pressure fuel pump. It says fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of motive power, which can increase the risk of a vehicle crash without prior warning. It says in bold letters to schedule your free repair, call your Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer today and they will replace the HPFP, and update the powertrain control module software. When I went to the dealer, they told me that they’re only getting one repair kit every two weeks and that they have over 249 recall trucks in our valley! At this rate it would take three years for me to get my truck fixed! Plus they also said that they’re not replacing the high-pressure fuel pump just putting some repair parts on it. What is going on? if this is such a safety issue, why aren’t the parts available. I asked to be put on a repair list and the service manager said that they prefer not do that because the repairs could take up to three years and for me to just call in every month! He also told me this is not the big problem everybody is making it out to be. What the???

OP
OP
Greyhound240

Greyhound240

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I find it quite strange that he didn’t even ask for my name, year, vin number or mileage. I had the recall notice in my hand and he didn’t ask to look at it. I then ask if I had a S&S CP-3 conversion done at another diesel shop, would the cost be covered, and he said definitely not. I told him I was putting extra lubrication in my fuel for extra protection of the pump, and he said, won’t help! What? You would think they would want it on record that you tried to get the recall work done. What if the pump fails after warranty and they say they have no proof that you tried to get the work performed. I have a ways to go on that but it just upsets me that when you spend over $80,000 for a truck and you worry about it breaking down in the middle of Nevada!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There some sorta stupid going on with this CP4.2 recall. I first heard that Ram was taking trucks with failed fuel systems first and now they're supposedly only taking 2020 year truck, not the '19s.
Keep in mind the EcoDiesel uses the same CP4.2 based HPFP design as the what was used in the Cummins '19-'20 trucks, which there has been very few failures (less than 1%). There was just a recall issued for the '14-'19 EcoDiesels(2nd Gen motor) HPFP but what gets weird is the +'20 EcoDiesels (3rd Gen motor) use the same HPFP have not been recalled.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I find it quite strange that he didn’t even ask for my name, year, vin number or mileage. I had the recall notice in my hand and he didn’t ask to look at it. I then ask if I had a S&S CP-3 conversion done at another diesel shop, would the cost be covered, and he said definitely not. I told him I was putting extra lubrication in my fuel for extra protection of the pump, and he said, won’t help! What? You would think they would want it on record that you tried to get the recall work done. What if the pump fails after warranty and they say they have no proof that you tried to get the work performed. I have a ways to go on that but it just upsets me that when you spend over $80,000 for a truck and you worry about it breaking down in the middle of Nevada!
Even if your truck was out of warranty they have to replace the pump as a recall has been issued for it... If you would of had the pump replaced before the recall parts were available FCA would have reimbursed you <--- this is based on info from those who did so an have gotten a check from FCA to cover the replacement pump....