Cracks in Ramboxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
I am an Australian newbie to the forum so apologies if this subject has already been covered. I did search and found a thread from 2017 but it does not have the info I need. I am about to buy a white 2016 1500 Laramie with the 3.0 ecodiesel, and the inspection report lists cracks at top and bottom of the recess for the rambox push-button opener (both sides). I am hoping the cracks are only in the stick-on external facia as a result of the "push" of the opener, but cannot be sure. Searching the www it appears this may have been a common problem, but I can find little info regarding repair. At the outset, there is almost certainly no factory warranty for this issue in Australia as, for this particular model, reputable private companies performed the left hand to right hand drive conversions without any cooperation from FCA. Any help on the following issues would really be appreciated:
  • what are various components of the rambox cover made of? I understand they may be plastic and not metal.
  • is it likely the cracks will also be in the underlying cover frame and not just the external stick-on facia?
  • if the components are plastic, has anyone successfully plastic welded them (and of course repainted them)?
  • where can new covers be bought in the USA, or are they only available as OEM from FCA?
Thanks in advance for any help.

512RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which part exactly are you talking about? I have had to repair my boxes before.

I2268717_1.png

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry I cant help, have no ramboxs.

Assuming you will buy the truck...
Welcome to the Ramily!!!!

OP
OP
H

Huddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Thanks 512RAM. It is the Applique from what I can see (and assuming the crack has not gone through to the main lid). The car is about 200 miles from me so can't just go around and check unfortunately. Also thanks for the welcome Ramm5.7.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Yikes. Would not buy. Even if they fixed it. If it happened once it'll happen again. Yet another reason I'm glad I didn't get the ramboxes.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You could probably remove those panels easy enough, epoxy the cracks closed, apply new 3M tape and place it back on.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yikes. Would not buy. Even if they fixed it. If it happened once it'll happen again. Yet another reason I'm glad I didn't get the ramboxes.

Not necessarily. I have a 2014 with Ramboxes, and no cracks here. You'll read about a lot of Rambox users here, and the overwhelming majority love them.

That being said, if I were you, Huddy, I'd definitely get them fixed as part of the deal (or cost of the fix deducted from the price), and have a reputable body shop fix it.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned, that crack is in the veneer that goes over the top of the lid. It is held on with double-sided 3M tape as already stated.

It looks like the lock was over tightened.

You can buy new veneer relatively cheap from any Mopar parts house and have them painted.

Or drill a hole in each of the crack, fill it with epoxy, sand it, and touch it up

Either way it is a minor problem. Only cosmetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yikes! The boxes are what my wife liked the most about our new truck, I was impressed as well. Am certainly hoping it is an anomaly. We traded off a 17 Tradesman with the 6 cylinder for a 19 classic with the 5.7 and love it.

Mundo939

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Liters
I have same issue with my 2018. Glad got it covered by warranty. They are made of plastic. They crack just by been exposed to the sunlight. Hope somebody use one as a layout and make them with fiberglass.

Demaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a black 2014 with Rambox and have only had to replace the plastic locking mechanism. There’s no big cracks, but I do have to say they are extremely susceptible to scratches. I absolutely love the Rambox and don’t want another truck without them.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I keep waiting for someone to make an aftermarket replacement lid. Maybe made of metal diamond plate that one could feel comfortable sitting on?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

travelchap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No cracks yet but my 2015 Rambox covers are delaminating. Anyone have a solution. I have read that they can be hard to remove without damage. A common problem with gen 5 covers and a service notice has gone out but i find nothing for the gen 4s. There seems to be some stress in the cover like it has become deformed in the Florida sun.

Would buy a new one but they do not make the 6.4 bed with Ramboxes. Have heard rumbling about 2022 but nothing else. With reported problems may have to rethink the issue but love the Ramboxes.