Crazy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrob1359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L V8
I've got a crazy steering issue on my Ram 1500 that I haven't seen anyone else describe. When I slightly turn my wheel either direction and remove my hand from the wheel, it just keeps turning till it reaches the stop. When I am driving and turn a corner, it will never return to center, or even come back a little. It stays on the turn. With my hands off the wheel, it would just keep going in circles. I've actually had this issue on my 2001 truck for about 8 years and I've been a little slow in addressing it! But, I just had to replace the steering pump and I wondered if replacing the gear would solve this. I can't think of what else could cause this problem and I've never seen anyone else describe it. There is no slop in the steering, but boy is it sensitive. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Bill

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

Have you changed the actual steering box? What about the tie rod ends?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I had this problem, and an alignment and 2 new front tires cured it. The tires had high spots in them that casued the steering wheel to wobble and continue turning right. Yes...both ended up on the right front.

But just to be sure, I changed the ball joints and both loose hub bearings.

OP
OP
W

wrob1359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L V8
I haven't changed anything but the pump yet. I suspect the problem is in the gear box, but I wanted to see if it could be anything else. I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of the gear. Is there an element there that returns the wheel to a straight position after a turn? Or, is that something external to the gear? Whatever controls that is not working for me, since the steering will never return to center after a turn. The wheels just stay turned.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I haven't changed anything but the pump yet. I suspect the problem is in the gear box, but I wanted to see if it could be anything else. I'm not that familiar with the inner workings of the gear. Is there an element there that returns the wheel to a straight position after a turn? Or, is that something external to the gear? Whatever controls that is not working for me, since the steering will never return to center after a turn. The wheels just stay turned.

Yes...what controls the return of the steering return is a function of alignment and tire condition. What you have is not a gearbox issue.
You can do a search on alignment/tire issues if you don't believe me.