cruise control fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got multiple problems on my 04 ram 1500. Driving home the other night in the rain my cruise control stopped, light went off and would not set. A few miles later my rpm's went to 4k and I could not drive faster than 30 mph. I limped home and the next morning I tried to start it and would crank but no start. Code said P0068-replaced the sensor and still would crank but no start. Had a guy come out and he hooked his computer up and said a relay in the fuse box was bad. He took the box to his shop came back later with 3 relays on the outside of the box, this way in the future all I would have to do is replace the bad relay and not have to tear it apart. In the past the truck would start on the 3rd or 4th engine rotation. Now I have to crank it, stop, then crank again and it will start.
Before when I locked the doors the horn would honk, now it doesn't. The cruise won't set, no light, nothing. I have looked in the fuse box but can't find the cruise control fuse. Can someone tell me which fuse controls the cruise?
Is there one thing that caused all of this or did everything just happen to quit at the same time?

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whenever someone is facing multiple issues that are seemingly unrelated (and in this case, it seems they are) I say check your CAN Buss and STAR connectors. Your cruise control being out shouldn't cause you to go into "limp" mode - which is what you experienced with the 30 mph issue. The only fuse that goes to your Speed Control, is fuse 82 (at least in 4th GEN - that's all I have schematics for - but yours should be similar). There is a "steering control module" but if you look above it - there's a CAN Buss Star connector ("Connector-STAR CAN C IP"). A lot of crap is connected through these connectors, and they're hard to diagnose - each of them connects multiple modules to each other - but they also each have a capacitor buried in them, that regulates voltage and if it goes bad, you start having MULTIPLEs of unrelated issues! Start there, and if it isn't that, check the Steering Control Module. For the crank issue, check to make sure your fuel pump is getting voltage and that the fuel filter isn't clogged. As for three relays on the outside of the box? Seriously? That sounds sketch. Relays inside the fuse box are easy to replace and don't "require" tearing it apart. Doors locking not causing a honk is usually a setting. If you have a touch screen, it'll be under settings. If you have an older system with just a radio rather than the U-Connect, it should be under the settings you access through your steering wheel. Treat each issue as ONE issue and resolve THAT issue before moving on. If it's the STAR connectors, you'll know because you won't be able to resolve the issue using base troubleshooting (such as finding a bunch of gunk in your fuel filter). Don't forget to check for voltage on hot wires where you can, and good grounds (disconnect a connector, and then use a multi-meter to check for 0 (or very close to 0) ohms to your chassis).

Attachments

• FUEL-DELIVERY-SYSTEM---5.7L---6-SPEED.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FUEL-CONTROL-SYSTEM---5.7L---6-SPEED.pdf
    259.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SPEED-CONTROL-SYSTEM.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith