Cummins Fuel Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have been around Cummins engine for over 25 years and not the small ones is our trucks... OMG I shocked that you didn't know that Ram filters are also known as Mopar and have been for one heck of along time... And no a 4 micron filter does not meet the 3 micron nanonet spec for the engine bay filter, 4 micron is still bigger then 3 micron so it can not meet the 3 micron spec that Ram/Mopar requires or it didn't when I was in school..

BTW, no one said the filter you use is Bad not sure where that came from, I stated that 4 micron fuel filters do not meet the required 3 micron nanonet spec for those who have a OEM warranty ( hint I said OEM aka Ram) those who have an OEM warranty still need to use filters that meet OEM requirements aka the 3 micron nanonet spec, if they use any filter that is not rated at 3 micron, they run a high risk of having fuel system warranty denied because they did not use the required 3 micron nanonet filter. BTW I have seen and read the Cummins fact sheet a while ago and that sheet that has nothing to do with the Ram/Mopar 3 micron nanonet filter requirements....
WHAT A COMPLETE JOKE!!! YOU SAID THE MANUAL STATES MOPAR. ALL I SAID IS THAT MY MANUAL SAYS RAM. NOT ONE INDECATION OF SAYING THAT I SUPPOSEDLY DO NOT KNOW THAT MOPAR IS BASCIALLY RAM AND VS. VERSA.

IVE GIVING ALL THE FACTS AND YES ONCE AGAIN THE DURALAST FILTERS DO MEET THE REQUIREMENT, IF THEY DIDNT THEN WHY HAVE THEM ON THE MARKET? WOULDNT THERE BE CASES AGAINST THEM IF THEY ACTUALLY DAMAGED THE FUEL SYSTEM? OR MAYBE A RECALL OF THEIR FUEL FILTERS? OR JUST COMPLETELY PULLED THEM OFF THE SHELEVES? LIKE COME ON.

ANOTHER THING - I DID MENTIONED THAT MY WARRANTY (3RD PARTY) HAS NO PROBLEM WITH ME USING DURALAST FUEL FILTERS.

LASTLY - MOST STITES ONLINE DO NOT EVEN MENTION THE MICRON LEVEL FOR THE MOPAR FILTERS, SEEMS ODD............

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My Truck is 2015 Tradesman bought brand new. I, too, use Duralast or any other filter brands from Autozone or Oreilly. Whatever is the cheapest. Never had any problems with my stock truck. For the oil, I used Chevron Delo from Costco. 1-2 years ago, Costco has been selling their own diesel oil and that is what I have been using lately. For the oil filter, depends what's on sale. I do like Fram because it has that black sandpaper grip on the end.

Some people do like to spend more on items such as these just because someone had written something in the web and it becomes gospel.

When it comes to compliant agencies, if the passing grade is 5 microns, they will stop at 5 microns. These people will not continue and try to find the smallest particle. That is not what they do.
Look another person that uses Duralast Fuel Filters with no issues. (thumbs-up).

Truckmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fram filters are the worst filters on the market i have not used them in many years and after reading and watching videos on comparison between filters they’re at the bottom of the list, Wix is a good brand to use if OEM is not available
For my Ram 2500 I only use Fleetguard filters which are cummins recommended filters And I use The Valvoline premium blue full synthetic oil. The Valvoline oil is again a cummins recommended oil. That’s the only oil I use in my vehicles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
WHAT A COMPLETE JOKE!!! YOU SAID THE MANUAL STATES MOPAR. ALL I SAID IS THAT MY MANUAL SAYS RAM. NOT ONE INDECATION OF SAYING THAT I SUPPOSEDLY DO NOT KNOW THAT MOPAR IS BASCIALLY RAM AND VS. VERSA.

IVE GIVING ALL THE FACTS AND YES ONCE AGAIN THE DURALAST FILTERS DO MEET THE REQUIREMENT, IF THEY DIDNT THEN WHY HAVE THEM ON THE MARKET? WOULDNT THERE BE CASES AGAINST THEM IF THEY ACTUALLY DAMAGED THE FUEL SYSTEM? OR MAYBE A RECALL OF THEIR FUEL FILTERS? OR JUST COMPLETELY PULLED THEM OFF THE SHELEVES? LIKE COME ON.

ANOTHER THING - I DID MENTIONED THAT MY WARRANTY (3RD PARTY) HAS NO PROBLEM WITH ME USING DURALAST FUEL FILTERS.

LASTLY - MOST STITES ONLINE DO NOT EVEN MENTION THE MICRON LEVEL FOR THE MOPAR FILTERS, SEEMS ODD............

Ram/Mopar states to use a 3 micron duel stage fuel filter in engine bay fuel housing for the 6.7L engines, IIRC they starting using them around 2012... Please explain how a 4 micron filter meets the Ram/Mopar 3 micron specification?

Duralast can claim all they want that their filter meets the Ram specification, explain how their 4 micron filter meets the Ram 3 micron specifications? it can't...

Did you call your warranty company and ask them specifically if they will pay a claim on your fuel system if it ever needs repair even thou your not using a fuel filter that meets Ram 3 micron specifications???

Again those who have a OEM/Ram/Mopar warranty have to use fuel filters that meet there specifications or they risk having to pay for fuel system repairs out of there own pocket and have Ram void warranty related to the fuel system.. Oh if your warranty company will let you use filters that do not meet Ram specification good for you, my self I will not use a filter that does not meet Ram 3 micron specification just to save $30 a year and have to pay for repairs out of pocket..

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Fram filters are the worst filters on the market i have not used them in many years and after reading and watching videos on comparison between filters they’re at the bottom of the list, Wix is a good brand to use if OEM is not available
For my Ram 2500 I only use Fleetguard filters which are cummins recommended filters And I use The Valvoline premium blue full synthetic oil. The Valvoline oil is again a cummins recommended oil. That’s the only oil I use in my vehicles.
Please tell us what problems you personally suffered to make you stop using Fram filters. Not just anecdotal, second hand info from your friends brothers sisters uncle or worse just something you read about on the internet forums.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Op, recommend using Mopar filters. It’s a costly repair for cheap prevention.

Cool story Bro, nice use of cap locks... really drives the point home of… nothing useful.
Good luck with 3rd party warranties.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've read tons of posts over the years about how some of you have to use some $17 a quart oil for your "baby", or added a catch-can to prevent some perceived crankcase oil flow, and over-maintain your vehicle to the point of silliness. Now the same fat-wallet folks will dig in defending their choice of using some cheap knockoff fuel filter with the claim that it can, without supporting documentation, meet the 3-micron filtration rating over its service life putting a $12,000 fuel system in jeopardy. What kind of logic is that?

Think about that :)

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Please tell us what problems you personally suffered to make you stop using Fram filters. Not just anecdotal, second hand info from your friends brothers sisters uncle or worse just something you read about on the internet forums.
Only a fool would ignore the results of some Frame filters simply to personally suffer bad results. Anyone with reasonable common sense will do their due diligence when selecting products including disposables like oil filters. You can find several Frame oil filter failures on YouTube videos. The results vary from internal rust, filter material collapsing, low pleat count reducing the filtering surface, and some with no backflow valve where competitor products have one. Your question is unreasonable and asked for the wrong reason and in the wrong way.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
my CarSheild warranty has NO problem with me buying and using these on my truck. You can get both for $110 before tax and military discount taken off.
CarSheild, really. Did you take a look at the company, or see the customer's YouTube video rants or even better, the YouTube videos from service shops and owners? Get your money back if you can.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Only a fool would ignore the results of some Frame filters simply to personally suffer bad results. Anyone with reasonable common sense will do their due diligence when selecting products including disposables like oil filters. You can find several Frame oil filter failures on YouTube videos. The results vary from internal rust, filter material collapsing, low pleat count reducing the filtering surface, and some with no backflow valve where competitor products have one. Your question is unreasonable and asked for the wrong reason and in the wrong way.
Like I said no actual problems other than those that were "read about" on the internet.
If you believe what you read even on this forum you would be led to believe these Cummins engines are made of crystal and even the slightest deviation of what you're "supposed" to do will result in immediate catastrophic failure. :eek:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
"read about" on the internet.
What is posted in the various SIGs regardless if it is Ford, GM, or RAM, it is an extremely small sampling versus the number of vehicles on the road. People come to forums to complain.

Watching YouTube videos of product comparisons is not the same as reading a post from an unhappy owner on a SIG forum.

Truckmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t had any problems but I did watch some comparisons with Fram wix and OEM Mopar filters and with that being said I perform my own comparison.
And it’s absolutely true.
So that’s why I use cummins filters on my truck.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The consensus seems to be Mopar or Fleetguard and nothing else.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If a person does not have an OEM warranty you can use what every cheap filter you want too, but the owners who have an OEM warranty have to use filters that meet OEM 3 micron spec and right now only Mopar and Fleetguard meet those requirements. I don't have 20K laying around to pay for a new fuel system all because I wanted to save $30.00 on 2 filters once a year.
Good Point/Observation, something to remember, lol...

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It is important to use either Mopar (rebranded fleetguard) or Fleetguard nanonet filters for the stage 2 under hood filter. The stage 1 water separator under the bed is more forgiving to off-spec stuff, because the stage 2 can make up for it. You should still use a fleetguard filter there for the great water separation it provides and as protection from plugging the stage 2 filter.

The nanonet filters are EXTREMELY good. Good enough that Cummins calls for drastically different injector change intervals on industrial engines when using nanonet fuel filters. Injectors are a mid-life service item on cellulose filters and an overhaul service item on nanonet filters. Cummins feels they DOUBLE the usable injector life on high horsepower engines vs cellulose filters. Review Cummins filtration bulletin LT36638 for reference.

Odds are high that if you have an expensive engine failure, it'll be the HPFP or injectors. They are sensitive to fuel quality (even the beloved CP3) and good filters pay off here.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you watch a Carshield tv ad, read the print below the ad
It plainly states that Carshield can not operate in California

They must have done something really wrong to be banned from operating in California
5ethE-u0JDncwtCb-lUSbIizrgFVAWL6578S90pxF&usqp=CAU.png

===============================

By the way, sometimes when you go into the Dodge Dealership Parts Dept.
You may ask for a Oil Filter, the box may read Mopar or Magneti Marelli

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you watch a Carshield tv ad, read the print below the ad
It plainly states that Carshield can not operate in California

They must have done something really wrong to be banned from operating in California
View attachment 510009

===============================

By the way, sometimes when you go into the Dodge Dealership Parts Dept.
You may ask for a Oil Filter, the box may read Mopar or Magneti Marelli

You don’t trust Ice-T or Rick Flare???

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don’t trust Ice-T or Rick Flare???
For entertainment value, yup, other, well,,, they got their money. Just like some Celebrities' that were pushing FTX, now they R all doing back flips to get away from that company with interesting comments, yeah, I trust em.

Watched Rick Flare ref WWF/WWE, was entertaining and Ice T entertaining on TV, but, LOL, U know.

YEP, all above tongue in cheek (sic) inane sense of Humor I have, LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio