Cummins maintenance advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My new 2022 Ram maintenance package doesn't cover the filter replacements. So it looks like I'm in charge of replacing my filters. I know there's alot of filters on this truck and I assumed they were included in my maintenance package. Ofcourse there's a maintenance package that covers it, which was never mentioned at the time of purchase. That being said, I'm going to learn to replace the filters as needed, when needed and find the location and procedures along the way. The truck is only at 2000 miles. I'm asking for general advice on which filters are to be replaced sooner than others and basic maintenance advice. The first to likely be replaced is the fuel filters? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220613_220533.jpg
    20220613_220533.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 6

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Look in the owner's manual, it spells out when to change the filters, fluids and required maintenance.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My new 2022 Ram maintenance package doesn't cover the filter replacements. So it looks like I'm in charge of replacing my filters. I know there's alot of filters on this truck and I assumed they were included in my maintenance package. Ofcourse there's a maintenance package that covers it, which was never mentioned at the time of purchase. That being said, I'm going to learn to replace the filters as needed, when needed and find the location and procedures along the way. The truck is only at 2000 miles. I'm asking for general advice on which filters are to be replaced sooner than others and basic maintenance advice. The first to likely be replaced is the fuel filters? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The following link has both fuel filters for your truck, do not use aftermarket filters from China they are Junk: https://www.genosgarage.com/product...-service-kit-qsk1002/mopar-specials-fall-2018 the only other filter you can use for under the truck is a Fleetguard # FS53000 being they are back order I would order a set months before you need them, I have a set even thought I only have 2k on the OD as I like to have a set on hand in the truck just in case....

Last edited:
OP
OP
2022 Tradesman
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Today I finally noticed my particulate filter had a reading which I never seen before. I noticed it doesn't have a % like the other filters due, such as fuel filters or oil filters. Same dome like measurement, but only in the bar itself without a % to read other than 0 to 100% Well today at just over 2000 miles it read nearly half used. Ok, so I did some research on the filter and it's not a filter you commonly replace like the other filters and it's REALLY EXPENSIVE! Or so I read...$3000 to $10,000 if I read the information correctly. It's supposed to last somewhere around 100,000 miles before needing a replacement? Please correctly me if I'm incorrect. I researched how to clean the particulate filter, curious if I could just simply drive the truck on the freeway for 30 minutes without any light's or notifications? I read somewhere in the Forum that I could shift the truck manually and that could be a way of cleaning the filter. So I did just that. Holding the rpms a little higher than the automatic transmission normally shifts. About 15 to 20 minutes during driving the Automatic cleaning process lit up on my dashboard. Bad timing because I arrived at my destination just as the light came up on the dashboard. Somewhere in my readings I believe I read you must continue to drive while the cleaning is in process, so I kept driving for a additional 30 minutes down the Hwy averaging 55 mph. Concerned I wasn't driving fast enough at a steady pace, the cleaning was over and the particulate filter reset to 0. Relieved I continued to shift manually the rest of the day. Not really sure if that helps anything?? What i can control shifting manually is my rps keeping the rpms around 1500 3 & 4th gear and around 1200 to 1500 in 5th anything above 50 mph i usually kick it into Drive using all 6 gears. 1 filter figured out, only a few more to go...hopefully I'll get to know my truck in time. A big thanks to the response with the link to purchase filters for my truck! Very informational regarding prices of the filters, quantity recommended to purchasing these filters and the wait to receive the filters such as fuel filters. The link said you much order 2 filters and the backorder is as far as August.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
So far with 2200 miles on my 2022 I have yet to see DPF light come on for a regen, so no need to worry about it. I have to ask how far do you drive as short trips several times a day will cause soot to build & that leads to higher DEF usage and the need to regen more often. I started using a Cetane boost to every tank to help keep soot lower, soot is what fills your DPF and once it gets to certain fill point will cause a regen...

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@2022 Tradesman you don't need to manually shift the transmission or anything else special for the truck to complete a regen other than drive it, preferably constantly like on the freeway.
The truck will even let you know if there's a problem with the DPF, if you don't get any warnings your working the truck enough for it to keep itself clean.
There's not much you can do to overwork that engine, so don't hold back

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have never paid any attention to the DPF readings. I use my truck mostly to tow, it is not a daily driver. I've never seen a DPF warning or regen message, and I do not shift manually ever.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use fleetgard (cummins) fuel filters. I get them from the local big rig shop. I save about $80 over Mopar. The 5th gets are lucky to have cartridge style filters. 4th gen have a oil filter style in the rear and is a PITA.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Your DPF will take care of itself as the truck auto regens every 24 hours of run time. But requires some 30 minutes of highway driving. There is no warning this is taking place. It will smell really hot afterwards. The fuel, and oil filters are available at dieselfilter.com. They usually need replaced around 10K miles or whenever your digital dash gauge says zero.

Attachments

• mopar fuel.jpg
    mopar fuel.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Carry spare fuel filters and tools at all times when you travel.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Fleetguard oil and fuel filters. Mopar air filter. All available on Amazon. I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 Dino. I think the newer vehicles call for lighter weight oil. Oil & filter every 7500 miles. Fuel filters every 15000 miles. Air filter every 30000 miles. 193K on the odo so far.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Fleetguard oil and fuel filters. Mopar air filter. All available on Amazon. I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 Dino. I think the newer vehicles call for lighter weight oil. Oil & filter every 7500 miles. Fuel filters every 15000 miles. Air filter every 30000 miles. 193K on the odo so far.
I would be very wary of ordering filters of any kind from amazon. There are a lot of knock-off filters being sold there. :(

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I do check the packaging / items against the pictures on the Cummins Filtration site. Compare the new filter against the old. Buy from Crossfilters' Amazon store since they are a Cummins Filtration distributor. I also buy from Geno's when they have sales on filters.

I don't buy from some random Amazon storefront.