Cummins warm-up time in the Winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm just wondering what the warm up time (time before cabin heat is noticed) for trucks with the Cummins diesel in the Northern climates. For example, it is 20 degrees F outside, how long.

I notice the Ford offers an aux electric water heater with their PS diesel but didn't see the same offering with RAM.

Thanks

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My Co worker has a 2006 so it has the 5.9. If he starts it and let's it run for 15 minutes before leaving he is just starting to get hest at the end of his 8 mile drive. He also does not plug it in and does not use a blanket for the front. So pretty much worst case scenario.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I used the remote start on my 13 last winter, I believe it runs for 15 min. then shuts off. I jumped in shortly after and was surprised to see the windshield completely frosted over still. After I restarted it the defrost air temp was cool, but once I gave it alittle gas it warmed quickly. So how fast ?? not real fast without assistance.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I've gone from anything from run it and be cautious until she warms up, up to 30 minutes. It depends on how much of a hurry I am in. If you plug your truck in on the cold nights, it makes all of it much quicker.

Last year, we had one night where it got to -25F with a -35F with windchill. My Engine Block Heater blew a circuit without my knowledge, so my truck went unplugged all night. It took 2 tries to get it started, but once it started, I let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then headed out, just driving really easy until it got warmed up more.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'd recommend a grille block off
When it gets really cold here the engine coolant temperature won't get very high with grille open so your heat never gets all that warm

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm just wondering what the warm up time (time before cabin heat is noticed) for trucks with the Cummins diesel in the Northern climates. For example, it is 20 degrees F outside, how long.

I notice the Ford offers an aux electric water heater with their PS diesel but didn't see the same offering with RAM.

Thanks

Dodge/Cummins calls it an engine block heater. If you don't have that option, I have heard it is only the power cord that is missing.

My 2003 CTD would barely warm up idling in the driveway. If I hit the highway, it would warm up in a few minutes. If I was driving in traffic, it would be lukewarm when I got to work 20-25 minutes later. This was in temps above 20 degrees.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dodge/Cummins calls it an engine block heater. If you don't have that option, I have heard it is only the power cord that is missing.

My 2003 CTD would barely warm up idling in the driveway. If I hit the highway, it would warm up in a few minutes. If I was driving in traffic, it would be lukewarm when I got to work 20-25 minutes later. This was in temps above 20 degrees.

Ford has something else to speed up the heat getting to the cab. I know they used to use a hear exchanger that pulled heat out of the trans fluid to get heat to the cabin but I'm not sure if they still use that or not.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Idle is the worst and slowest way to warm up a motor.
Let it idle a few minutes then get in and go slow. It will warm up faster, save fuel and is easier for the motor.
Synthetic oil, block heater and battery trickle charger are all great ways to ensure an easy start on the coldest of mornings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990