Current F-150 owner, thinking about switching

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

phatboy5015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your build quality is that terrible your truck has issues or you are just looking for reasons to dislike the truck. My 14 1500 is great just like my 11 2500 and 08 1500 were. I haven't had an issue or complaint with any of them.

I had a 2013 F150/5.0 work truck that was supplied to me by the company I work for and I like everything about my Ram better, but I'm not one to talk others out of another brand because I don't want to here them picking it apart if they miss their preferred brand. As much as I like to see another happy Ram owner I'm not sure if I would switch if you were going to take a big hit on pricing, unless you were having serious issues. If the knocking will cause long term damage or if that A/C really isn't cutting I would try out some Rams and see where you will come out money wise. It would be nice to be happy if your in the truck everyday.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'd like to be happy with my truck, and I'm not one to nitpick, but I get a little depressed every time I leave my truck running and get out and hear the knocking. Then get back in and it's barely cooling. When I'm sweating my ass off at a job, I want to feel freezing air when I get in my truck and the Ford ain't cutting it!

OP
OP
P

phatboy5015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol id get into a 15 f150 with the 2.7 ecoboost

i jumped from a 05 frontier into a 14 quad bighorn hemi

i really wanted a 15 2.7 f150 but they were non-existent from jan-march when i was ready to buy

the ram does everything i want, but the build quality is really ****, none of the doors lineup, paint is askew, damn chrome grill has bubbles in the chrome already, hood doesnt line up to the headlights the same when comparing left to right.

i bought the ram specifically for the hemi with the 8spd, and it doesnt dissapoint me there, but it does in other areas where I should have researched some more. Areas where i didnt really think should have been an issue with a car mfg, but surprise it is with these Rams

Sucks to hear about the ****** build quality on your truck.. But there's no way in hell I'll ever own an Ecoboost truck.

Reactions: BMD

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm also wondering if it's just a case of the grass always being greener on the other side, and I should just hold onto the Ford.

Exactly This ^

When you compare a Chevy, Ford or Ram similar class trucks, they all get the job done. Coming to a Ram forum and asking if you should get a Ram will lead you to one answer. ;) Same goes for a Ford or Chevy forum.

I had an 11 F150 so I know what you mean about the AC and the knock/tick but is that enough to lose the amount of money you will lose for trading???

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I had an '85 F150, a 2006 Ranger, a 2007 Ranger, and most recently a 2003 F150 Screw. My first car was a 1983 Mustang, so you could mostly call me a Ford guy. I haven't had a recent one, but after comparing all of the major brands settled on the Ram. I like the transmission a lot, liked little features like the locking tailgate, the in-floor coolers, and it's flat out the best looking truck out there.

I've had some issues, including the mis-aligned doors. I had the dealer take out the back seat, break the welds on both rear strike plates, and weld them in the proper positions. Overall I'm happy with the switch to Ram.

In your situation, I think that I'd still go with the 1500 but stiffen the suspension. Even if you spend the money to do it right, you'll pay less than stepping up to a 3/4 ton.

BWCA03%20May%20-%20Lake%20Polly_03_zpssqkbokqz.jpg

MDMike723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just bought a new ram 1500 this past weekend. I had a 01 F250 7.3l diesel prior to this truck. I did drive a 14 f150 and a 15 Silverado. I found the ram to be the most comfortable out of the 3 and probably the best looking. I've never been a dodge fan but I think they have gotten their stuff right over the past couple years. I guess only time will tell.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I came from a 1/2 ton Silverado to my 3/4 ton 6.4. I love my 6.4.. 3200 pounds of payload.. I put 2k pounds in the bed once and it almost lvled it out. the 6.4 if driven casually can yield good fuel numbers. Also the price on these trucks are not bad at all, you can get a ram especially a 3/4 ton for about 10k back of Msrp.. my biggest complaint is a personal one and it is I never get to drive my dam truck lol. the cost difference between a ford 1/2 and a ram 3/4 on the maintainance side is about the same and you get so much more truck. personally I would switch.. I did and I love every minute I get to drive my truck

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
If your build quality is that terrible your truck has issues or you are just looking for reasons to dislike the truck. My 14 1500 is great just like my 11 2500 and 08 1500 were. I haven't had an issue or complaint with any of them.

like i said previously, i dont have a problem with the truck i bought (8spd hemi), i just wished ram had better quality control.

and dont think its just me with bad paint, door/hood alignment issues and chrome bubbling

do a search, you will see it is CLEARLY A COMMON PROBLEM

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I came from a 1/2 ton Silverado to my 3/4 ton 6.4. I love my 6.4.. 3200 pounds of payload.. I put 2k pounds in the bed once and it almost lvled it out. the 6.4 if driven casually can yield good fuel numbers. Also the price on these trucks are not bad at all, you can get a ram especially a 3/4 ton for about 10k back of Msrp.. my biggest complaint is a personal one and it is I never get to drive my dam truck lol. the cost difference between a ford 1/2 and a ram 3/4 on the maintainance side is about the same and you get so much more truck. personally I would switch.. I did and I love every minute I get to drive my truck
Exactly the same story with me. My Silverado was great, but this 2500 Ram with the 6.4 is incredible!

Fuel mileage wise, it's actually about the same as my 5.3 Silvy was, only it's a whole LOT more truck! :)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will admit I didn't quite read every reply on here so if this was addressed sorry. What you said in your first post is true, ram does not make a 6.5' bed on these trucks, they have a 6'4" bed. If you need that extra 2" you are screwed. A good example is my dad's sportsman will fit in the bed of his Ford, it is a really tight fit but the tailgate shuts and stays shut. My truck in the other hand isn't even close to the ability to shut the tailgate. I will say the f150 5.0 I drove was nowhere near as powerful as my 1500 ram was, I know people seem to love that 5.0, but I wasn't impressed. All of these trucks will get you about the same mileage, so there shouldn't be much of a difference between your f150 and a ram. I averaged 16.5 in the 15000 miles I had my 1500. If you are looking to carry that much weight at all times don't bother with airbags, go straight to replacement coil springs, 600 pounds sank my 1500 about an inch or so making it sit level, at the weight you want to carry you will be constantly on the bumpstops.

BillR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Came from a '13 F150 lariat w/ 5.0. Told knock was normal BUT they gave me a 75k warranty. Same lousy AC, doors rattled on latches when going over bumps, sync worked kinda ok. Also had a '11 F150 eco boost, '08 F350 and a '05 F350. I was a Ford guy!

Bought a 2500 Laramie with Cummins. The truck is rock solid quiet, rides nice, the electronics work better - all in all, I am much happier. Build quality is on par with Ford. There are things Ford cuts costs on and the Ram is no different.
I'd say go for it - you'll be glad you did. Ford builds a good truck, but has motor issues, AC issues - Ram issues seem to be minor, like sensors or software updates needed. I think you'll be pleased.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'd like to be happy with my truck, and I'm not one to nitpick, but I get a little depressed every time I leave my truck running and get out and hear the knocking. Then get back in and it's barely cooling. When I'm sweating my ass off at a job, I want to feel freezing air when I get in my truck and the Ford ain't cutting it!

Just my $.02 worth. I don't have any experience with the late model F150s but do drive a 2012 1500 SLT QC as a company work truck. I am in Construction equipment sales and spend most day on ultimate job sites. If the job is not too large I leave the truck running with AC on. It blows cold and works great. Summers can get mid 90* in summer so it helps to have a good reliable AC system. Also, will have to occasionally haul some larger machine in the bed. When I put in a large reversible vibe plate at about 900 lbs it will make it squat pretty good.

If you are really that down on the F150 it seems like the similarly equipped 2500 May be a better option.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on a price note.. 39k otd is what I payed for mine.. I looked for 6 months before I found the deal I wanted.. I could of got a Laramie trim for 43k otd in Idaho but " drive 16 hours round trip and 4k more for options that weren't a must for me" made me chose my big horn that was only 7 hours round trip away from me. I have 1 year old twins and it gets over 100 and below 20 here. I love and I mean ******* love my remote start.. last time I checked last month I had I think 200 hours on my truck 100 of wich were idle hours.. I refuse to put my kids in the car and have it be hotter than hell or freezing cold.. I always remote start it and let it get to temp in the cab.. the ac works awsome.

OP
OP
P

phatboy5015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just weighed my truck and it's right at 1300lbs of payload with all my normal stuff, me, and my employee that's always with me.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think you'll get anybody on this site telling you to keep your Ford. We're all here because we drive RAMS

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I love my new Dodge other tan the buying experience. I looked at Fords and did like them but they wouldn't build a truck the way I wanted it (ECO boost V6 in a Std Cab sb 2WD) and I just couldn't get over how GD ugly the styling is. They really need to hire some new stylists.

OP
OP
P

phatboy5015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my new Dodge other tan the buying experience. I looked at Fords and did like them but they wouldn't build a truck the way I wanted it (ECO boost V6 in a Std Cab sb 2WD) and I just couldn't get over how GD ugly the styling is. They really need to hire some new stylists.

They do make that. It's called a Tremor.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
I'm a 2nd gen owner but my uncle had a 5.4 f150 regular cab short bed he works in masonry and he absolutely loves his crew cab short bed 5.7 hemi 1500. If the truck's main purpose is hauling I would do the air suspension setup since it doesn't sag, it rebounds faster, and it rides better imo. Just watch after the compressor and lines after time the road salt and other factors eat away at the rubber o rings and other rubber components. 3/4 ton would be your best option as stated before hand.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is my .02$. I'm a classic mopar guy. However, I don't see eye to eye with the local Dodge dealership, and have a friend who sells fords. So my last 7 vehicles have been Ford/Lincoln. 3 F150, 2 EB, 1 5.4.

The new EB is a beast. The best I could compare it pulling wise is my 1st gen powerstroke. it just pulls more like a diesel than any gas motor I have driven. My father has a cummins. When I told him the power and towing capability of the 150 ecoboost, he snorted and said a V6 wouldn't be able to pull his 34' 3axle toy hauler. I backed up, hooked on and dragged it down the highway. I wouldn't do that on a regular basis, just to show it could.

I suspect they don't offer it in the Super Duty for the same reason they down rate the 6.2. I wonder if it would survive pulling 12-15k all day 5 days a week. It also has very little engine braking.

I also dislike that ccv and egr crap is dumped into the intake but with direct injection there is no way to clean the intake valves.

Fuel mileage on EB isn't what they advert unless you have RCLB 2wd With 3.15 gears. Mine averaged 15.3 lifetime on the lie-o-meter. Actual mileage is about the same as the high rev 5.0 coyote.

I too disliked the AC. But it fit in the garage and I didn't have to deal with cooling a hot cab too often.

It was quiet. Plus, the cab was roomier than the Ram CC, especially the rear leg room.

One area where RAM may be missing the boat is the disparity between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton payload, where Ford offers a "Max Payload Package" in their 1/2t that bridges that gap for somebody like the OP.

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
So I bought a new '14 F-150 SuperCrew w/ 6.5' bed about 3 months ago. Overall, I like the truck. There are some things that really bother me though, like the knocking/ticking sound that comes from the passenger side after the truck is warmed up. Also, the A.C. is a hair above complete crap unless it's below 70° outside. I'm a member on a couple F-150 forums and both problems are very common and usually end with the dealers calling it "normal" and doing nothing about it.

I use my truck for work everyday, so I can't just go drop it off for days at a time to be looked at, especially just to be told that it's normal.

I'm strongly considering trading it in on a Ram 1500 but I wanted some honest opinions/reviews from current owners (2013+).

The only things holding me back from fully embracing a Ram is the less than stellar payload, lack of Crew Cab w/ 6'4" bed(why did Dodge shorten their beds by 2"?) trucks in my area, and unknown longevity of the 8 speed. What I need first and foremost out of my truck is reliability for the long term. I put roughly 36k miles a year on my trucks, and always haul around about 1300lbs worth of tools and materials. Will the coil spring suspension sag noticeably with this much weight?

I'm also wondering if it's just a case of the grass always being greener on the other side, and I should just hold onto the Ford. Has anybody gone from a '11-14 F-150 to a '13+ Ram and regretted it?

I have a 2015 1500 Laramie quad cab 4x4 with 6'4" bed. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!

I ordered it after doing a ton of research on the 2015 GMC's, the new Ford F150 and the Ram and I am very happy with my choice. I also got Ramboxes and the air suspension. That is all great - things Ford did not offer - plus I think the eco-boost stuff is all marketing crap. Powerful engines but you pay at the pump as the mileage is just plain false not unless you drive like your grandmother. And I do not trust the twin turbos for long-term reliability and breakdowns.

Now THE best part of this truck? I got the V6 PENTASTAR!!!!! This motor with my 3.55 gears is absolutely amazing! Whe you consider all measures - cost, power, acceleration, towing, payload (more than the Hemi), mileage, and reliability - this is the best drive train - motor, transmission and rear axle - on the truck market today - bar none! Trust me -test drive one and you'll see!

Grim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I came from a 2004 F150 supercrew 4x4 to a 2014 Outdoorsman CC with the 6'4" bed. I love the Ram so far. A couple of items:
1) The Ram bumpers and body seem really flimsy when compared to the Ford.
2) The cab on my Ram was not aligned with the bed. They had to unbolt the entire cab and adjust it almost an inch.
3) At 4600 miles, the 8-speed transmission is still jerky when slowing down at a stop sign.
4) The Ram came with the wrong transfer case for an Outdoorsman. I didn't realize it until I read the comments on this site.