Custom Headers or Prefabs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
2019 classic 5.7 CC4x4

A local exhaust shop I spoke to (Highly recommended in the area) said they can custom build headers. I only went in to discuss a dual exhaust upgrade, so I dismissed it and kept the discussion steered towards the cat back. I know the y pipe is a major restriction so I was mostly interested in doing a true dual exhaust with an x pipe and 2 separate carven tr progressive mufflers. With eliminating the y pipe I would have to put in high flow cats anyways so should I explore the option of them building some long tubes for me or would I be better served to purchase something like the JBA 1 3/4 long tubes from moe's and then have them build the system, or what questions I should ask, should I expect them to use a software or template to build them, obviously I would want d-ports and spiked scavengers. is this something a local shop can build reliably or is there a level of engineering that the prefab headers have that would make a noticable difference?

Also I was wondering if anyone knows how the sound of a true dual with two separate mufflers would compare to a 2>1>2 with a single muffler. Would true duals be louder or quieter, change in tone, ect.? Anyone have sound clips of a true dual carven setup?

Also the guy I talked to (the guy who owns the shop and the head mechanic were out) seemed a little put off that I wanted joints fabricated in similar locations to the stock set up, I feel like this is essential since I was a mopar mechanic and mostly worked transmissions so the y pipe had to come out a lot, am I being too picky. I never did exhaust work besides simple r&r or changing manifold bolts so i just want to be sure I'm not being that guy...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Buy a prefab. The is a ton of money in the r&d to know how to tune them by length. You dont have a racecar you dont need them custom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Buy a prefab. The is a ton of money in the r&d to know how to tune them by length. You dont have a racecar you dont need them custom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.
The R&D is what I was wondering about, I was really only considering it for convenience and hopefully cost savings over prefab but I'm not sure what they would charge so I don't know that for sure.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The R&D is what I was wondering about, I was really only considering it for convenience and hopefully cost savings over prefab but I'm not sure what they would charge so I don't know that for sure.

What you "save" which I don't would be any since you can get jba for less than 600. You will spend convincing your tuner to keep ducking with you truck because without the headers being tuned by length its gonna run lit chit for a daily driver.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
What you "save" which I don't would be any since you can get jba for less than 600. You will spend convincing your tuner to keep ducking with you truck because without the headers being tuned by length its gonna run lit chit for a daily driver.

fair enough, that was my primary concern, and reason for asking. plus I want them coated and wrapped but I just figured it might be an option worth exploring.

Any ideas on how a true dual with an x pipe and 2 mufflers might compare on sound level to a headers into a y pipe and single muffler out to dual exhaust? I'd assume 2 mufflers would be quieter and the headers will add volume so I should still get a good sound without being obnoxiously loud or too much drone ( there would be no resonators). I wanna go with the carven progressive mufflers.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
fair enough, that was my primary concern, and reason for asking. plus I want them coated and wrapped but I just figured it might be an option worth exploring.

Any ideas on how a true dual with an x pipe and 2 mufflers might compare on sound level to a headers into a y pipe and single muffler out to dual exhaust? I'd assume 2 mufflers would be quieter and the headers will add volume so I should still get a good sound without being obnoxiously loud or too much drone ( there would be no resonators). I wanna go with the carven progressive mufflers.

Cant speak to anything but my set up x pipe no muffler stock resonators. With long tubes it would be absurd to say the least but I love it as is. Drone actually isnt bad if your mds is deactivated dont really notice it but 4cyl mode sounds like chit lol.

OP
OP
Jho93

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Cant speak to anything but my set up x pipe no muffler stock resonators. With long tubes it would be absurd to say the least but I love it as is. Drone actually isnt bad if your mds is deactivated dont really notice it but 4cyl mode sounds like chit lol.

yeah that's just a little much for me, I feel like 2 progressives would really quiet it down and headers will bring it back up a little without taking away the throatiness, and I dont have it tuned yet so 4cyl mode will be a constant issue for now so I may add resonators. ideally I'd like to sit at over 400whp so I think a tune, full exhaust, cam and intake and electric fan with 180 tstat will get me close. what do you think would be the best route without breaking the bank and what order do you think if you dont mind me asking (I know it's off topic) I dont tow but might be getting a boat soon unless I move away from the coast.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well said.