Custom Headlights = Headaches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Happy as a clam with my factory reflectors. Might do some different bulbs at some point, but I have never had good luck with aftermarket headlight replacement housings. Expensive, and not made to the same standards as oem housings.
I am with you-most of my night travels have street lights anyway and the factory ones although not great seem bright enough for me even on unlit streets. Will try led bulbs for replacement but thats it for me-dont want to screw with new enclosures and fogging and alerts on my dash. I will let guys with more patience seek out the ultimate head light experience. LOL

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am with you-most of my night travels have street lights anyway and the factory ones although not great seem bright enough for me even on unlit streets. Will try led bulbs for replacement but thats it for me-dont want to screw with new enclosures and fogging and alerts on my dash. I will let guys with more patience seek out the ultimate head light experience. LOL

Agreed... I'm not lead an expedition into the darkest parts of Africa. Nor do I want to blind oncoming drivers.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed... I'm not lead an expedition into the darkest parts of Africa. Nor do I want to blind oncoming drivers.

That's fine for when you're in town, not so much once you're out of well lit areas. If the stock headlights are sufficient for you, that's great and I wouldn't try to make you change anything. For a lot of us, the stock lights are not enough so we find solutions. Also, any headlight that isn't properly aimed can blind oncoming traffic, including the stock halogens. So regardless of what you have, just aim them properly and you won't blind oncoming drivers.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's fine for when you're in town, not so much once you're out of well lit areas. If the stock headlights are sufficient for you, that's great and I wouldn't try to make you change anything. For a lot of us, the stock lights are not enough so we find solutions. Also, any headlight that isn't properly aimed can blind oncoming traffic, including the stock halogens. So regardless of what you have, just aim them properly and you won't blind oncoming drivers.

I do not live in town. Live out in the dark, and often foggy, country of Louisiana. My halogen reflectors are just fine. Much easier to add some off-road LED bars if that much light is needed. Only thing I might consider changing is the whiteness of my bulbs. But that's really just preference, IMO. I'm well aware of how to aim headlights, just saying that it's easy to blind people in a tall truck, no matter how well they are aimed.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not live in town. Live out in the dark, and often foggy, country of Louisiana. My halogen reflectors are just fine. Much easier to add some off-road LED bars if that much light is needed. Only thing I might consider changing is the whiteness of my bulbs. But that's really just preference, IMO. I'm well aware of how to aim headlights, just saying that it's easy to blind people in a tall truck, no matter how well they are aimed.

Certainly to each their own, I really miss my light bar big time that I had on my prior two sports. However, my current longhorn offers no where to put the light bar like the sports did, for a nice clean look. So for this truck, I'm kind of stuck upgrading the lights it does have, or ruining the look (imo) by having to add something onto the truck to mount the extra lights on, or windshield mount light bar which I'm not willing to do.

Also for the record, my truck is leveled and I've never been high beamed once since properly aiming my LEDs (and HIDs in the past) so I feel I'm not blinding anyone, I don't live in a state or area where people are shy about high beaming you if they have a problem with your lights. Ideally I'd retain this setup and get the light bar back in the equation somehow.

I won't argue though that I do see some asshats driving around with headlights that need adjustment, and yeah that aggravates me as much as anyone else.