Cutting tie rods for alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my truck for another alignment today, shop recommended cutting the tie rods to get it decently within spec. Anyone done this?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yup,about a 1/4" on my old 13 with a 3" spring drop

ryan russell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So do you guys just cut the tie rod not the ends lol.. cut 1/4 inch off both ends of the rod alone? I got the 2/4 kit for my 4x4 with rear bags too

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So do you guys just cut the tie rod not the ends lol.. cut 1/4 inch off both ends of the rod alone? I got the 2/4 kit for my 4x4 with rear bags too

You have to cut the ends,cutting the tie rods themselves isn't going to shorten anything except the tie rods themselves.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7

For 2/4 drop you do not need to cut the tie rod ends unless you are installing the Inez 4/6 drop kit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For 2/4 drop you do not need to cut the tie rod ends unless you are installing the Inez 4/6 drop kit.

On some trucks you do,other trucks you don't.Considering they're all supposed to identical,they don't always seem to be,lol.Some guys will get a high speed wobble when lowered,other guys won't,some trucks will also encounter killer wheelhop when lowered(mine for example,a set of Illicits relocation brackets cured that issue),other trucks won't.To lump every truck into the same category especially after lowering,i think is a mistake.If his truck comes into spec on toe,then he won't have to shorten anything,but if it won't come into spec,his only option is to trim the tie rod end.My old 13 needed a 1/4" taken off the tie rod ends to come into spec,with a 3" spring drop

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that if you couldn't get it back into spec then of course it would need to be cut. I haven't had to cut any of my three Rams when lowered to 2/4. I have not read on here too many people having to do that . The Ram I have now I had to cut the tie rod ends due the different control arms and 4/6 drop

ryan russell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ok thanks for the info.. I guess a good indicator to know if I need to cut it or not as if there's sufficient enough amount of thread sticking out from the tie rod to the end?

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the indicator is if you have plenty of thread meaning there is room for adjustment no cutting is required. This can be determined if the alignment is done or close to specs. The reason the tie rod end would need to be cut is if the rod had no more thread inward. In other words the outer tie rod end bottomed out on the inner tie rod.
So if you have plenty of thread on the rod (like oem) then you do not need to cut.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
the indicator is if you have plenty of thread meaning there is room for adjustment no cutting is required. This can be determined if the alignment is done or close to specs. The reason the tie rod end would need to be cut is if the rod had no more thread inward. In other words the outer tie rod end bottomed out on the inner tie rod.
So if you have plenty of thread on the rod (like oem) then you do not need to cut.

You got it backwards.The outer tie rod end is shorter then the threads on the inner tie rod .The outer tie rod bottoms out before you run out of thread on the inner end. Watch the video,where does he re-thread the outer end for more threads,lol.Unless you're going to drill a hole straight through the tie rod end so it'll go on farther before bottoming out,you're only option is to cut threads off the inner end and physically make it shorter.But that's all nil if the truck will come into spec,but if it doesn't,your options are pretty limited.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s what I was trying to say... in one of the older videos he cuts the inner tie rod. I know you can cut the inner or outer tie rod achieving the same thing.

Simpsj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What video is being referenced here.