Dash cam discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’ve never had a dash cam and am looking into installing one in my 2020 2500 in the next few weeks.

installing one isn’t a problem, but selecting one from the dozens if not hundreds of available options is proving to be a challenge.

I’m leaning toward a two camera setup - front and rear with audio recording, 1080p video quality and 64GB plus capacity.

Which dash cam are you using and what made you decide on the one you have?

Please give me specifics if you can - make and model, price paid and where you bought it, good and bad points, where you installed it, etc...

Thank you in advance!

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I've got a Roav C1 Pro in the truck. I have it for a "witness" if I get involved in a crash. When I installed it I made sure it was recording and downloaded a short clip. That's it.... I haven't needed it for a couple of years. I actually forget it's there. I hope I never need any of the videos it takes.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I had a Papago 250 that snapped on over the mirror. It worked well for about 3 years and then the sun must have eaten the plastic bracket and it fell off. I was pleased with its performance while i owned it. The next one was a Rexing V1. It is a wedge shaped camera that sticks to the windshield. I have had it for about a year and am happy with its performance. Most dashcams use an SD card to store video so capacity is limited by what maximum capacity the camera can use. I have a 128GB SD card in mine. I also bought one of the "rugged" SD cards since this one is in the camera that is in the sun most of the time.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
There are several posts in the 4th Gen Audio & Electronics forum with reviews\comments on them. You're right, there's hundreds to wade through

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’d look at something better than 1080 IF you think capturing a plate matters. Not everyone stops after a collision. I have a Thinkware F800.

In TX I’d be concerned about heat. Study up on the issue of battery vs. capacitor powered units and heat resistance.

The problem these days is too many choices and information overload. I’ve seen some good video comparisons by this guy: https://www.vortexradar.com/

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Roav. I bought them separately. Now I have one front (S1), one rear (C2). Dual camera systems tend to be expensive.

Whatever you buy, make sure they are temperature rated and have a built-in GPS. Also format the memory every 30-60 days as they can fail without minimal maintenance.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I’d look at something better than 1080 IF you think capturing a plate matters. Not everyone stops after a collision. I have a Thinkware F800.

In TX I’d be concerned about heat. Study up on the issue of battery vs. capacitor powered units and heat resistance.

The problem these days is too many choices and information overload. I’ve seen some good video comparisons by this guy: https://www.vortexradar.com/

Holy cow the guy on that site must be a professional lead foot. $1400 for and Anti-laser system is part of his setup.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I’ve never had a dash cam and am looking into installing one in my 2020 2500 in the next few weeks.

installing one isn’t a problem, but selecting one from the dozens if not hundreds of available options is proving to be a challenge.

I’m leaning toward a two camera setup - front and rear with audio recording, 1080p video quality and 64GB plus capacity.

Which dash cam are you using and what made you decide on the one you have?

Please give me specifics if you can - make and model, price paid and where you bought it, good and bad points, where you installed it, etc...

Thank you in advance!

You want to be able to access the video from your phone via blue tooth.

And a battery that isn't effected by heat.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
With all the cameras already in these vehicles from the factory these days, it's surprising you don't see the ability built into the truck already. Just put a micro SD slot in it somewhere and keep the last 30 mins or so of all cameras. Also turn them on if the alarm goes off. I guess that'd be too easy. Heck, they could even charge a nice upcharge for this feature and I'm sure many of us would bite.

Lil' Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With all the cameras already in these vehicles from the factory these days, it's surprising you don't see the ability built into the truck already. Just put a micro SD slot in it somewhere and keep the last 30 mins or so of all cameras. Also turn them on if the alarm goes off. I guess that'd be too easy. Heck, they could even charge a nice upcharge for this feature and I'm sure many of us would bite.

Exactly. There's already 3 or 4 USB connections in my vehicle...one of those could have been dedicated for this purpose...or just add another somewhere.