Dash Cam options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keithrh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am wanting to install a Dash Cam. What have you guys done to keep things neat so the power wire is not showing as much? Can you get the power from the rear view mirror?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I am wanting to install a Dash Cam. What have you guys done to keep things neat so the power wire is not showing as much? Can you get the power from the rear view mirror?
There are some threads about dash cam installs, use the Search field at the top right of the page. As I recall, there are members who've taken power from the upper console (there are some YouTube videos detailing that).

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, you can pull power from the mirror. There are kits out there that have pins that push into the back of the connector so nothing even has to be cut/tapped if you're interested in that route. They run like $30.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I ran the usb cable across the headliner down the a-pillar and into the back of the lower glove box. I didn't have to pull any of the trim except the side panel and a section of the door seal rubber. Behind the glove box there is a plug not used that I picked up power and ground to wire a 2 USB plug. I mounted the plug lower left in the box and ran the wires out the back. I'll try to get a pic later and add it here in an edit if you want.

This is the plug from Amazon. It has a touch on/off switch.

20210119_172414.jpg

Last edited:

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dongar "SimpleUSB Cable 12V to USB Two-prong Universal Dashcam Adapter" was the adapter I was referring to above. Couldn't remember the name so TX!

If you don't want to "tap" into the wiring this is the way to go IMO.

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I havent but looks interesting. To bad description says 2020+ ram though

I sent an ask to the company because the description says 2017+ RAM, but further down it says "WITHOUT microphone, emergency response or LCD display".

It does convert 12V to 5V so that shouldn't be an issue.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I just order this one, I was thinking about getting the Blackvue DR750X but I want a front and rear camera and I got both for the price on this and the video show just as good if not better, if you see something you like and put it in your cart and back out they will stop you and give you a 10% coupon. https://www.thedashcamstore.com/viofo-a129-pro-duo-4k-front-and-rear-dash-cam-w-gps-wifi/

I also bought the hardwire kit with it I have been watching a lot of video on YouTube so I feel comfortable on doing it myself.