DEALERS AND FCA HAVE GONE TOO FAR! WT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck with this, I bought two new OEM FOBS off of EBay, cost me $160 cash for a locksmith to program them, got the numeric code as well, have no idea why I needed it but I have it, lol.

Kevin

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in Devinwood, off of 146. We moved to Baytown in 1991. After one year living in apartments, we bought a home in Pinehurst. Moved away to Winnie to take care of elderly parents, but now we are back for good. Baytown is underrated as a place to live. I enjoy it. Lets say hello sometime.
I live just a few miles from you as the crow flies. I’m off Raccoon by Whispering Pines.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got one form my 2013 and my 2020 RAM trucks. If you remove the tailgate, it protects the electrical plug that goes to the tailgate. It was with the adapter sleevefor the hitch.
Gotcha. I might have something like that. Got a few little trinkets on the glovebox. I thought you were talking about a cover for where the tailgate was. Like a tarp or net or something.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BigRed and GFH,

It is a small small world. I live in near north side houston for forty or fifty of my years. I have two best friends in baytown. I am out there all the time. That little neighborhood on the southwest corner of 146 and i-10 junction
That little neighborhood with the circle street by that little gas station? I know someone that lives in there. Last name Davenport, worked (maybe still does, not sure) for Centerpoint I believe. His daughter was my late ex-wife’s (she passed 6 months after our divorce) best friend.

OP
OP
craiger4233

craiger4233

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My buddies last name is Crow. He grew up in the complex right where Crestway makes a 90 degree curve to the East. The matriarch of that clan just passed in May. Joy Crow, she was a good woman. Raised 5 kids of her own in addition to several that belonged to others.
But yes that be the neighborhood.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Sorry didnt read all 9 pages but got the jist of it. Try one of the other several 100 dodge dealers we have in the area the one local to you im not a fan of their practices personally as tried to buy something used there once and that was a total sh×t show to say the least and they didnt get my money. As far as needing an extra key sure there are several in the area with alfaobd that can program a spare key for you once you get the code. If no one closer volunteers I'm up in the new magnolia area not far of 45 on 1488 and will program a key for you once you get the code and a spare key.

BRUXUS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
I bought a Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 HEMI with 31000 miles two weeks ago from a dealership. (It was a toyota dealership's pre-owned lot.) A well known dealership....Fred Haas Toyota!. Before going into the Finance Office to pay for it I asked the sales rep. for a second key and a owners manual. He told me he would go get them. In the meantime i was called into the finance office to pay for it. After getting pressured and talked into buying a 3rd party extended warranty for $3000 that could only be purchased at the time of sales, so I was told. But could cancel it within 30 days for full refund. I wrote them a check. I leave the finance office to gather the keys, owners manual and truck and the sales rep was waiting and told me there was no 2nd key or manual. What could I say I was stuck. I drive home thinking about what had transpired and realized I had been duped. I went to my locksmith and he referred me to another locksmith because he didnt have the ability to program the fob.
The next day I canceled the 3rd party extended warranty. Joined this forum and read how to buy blank key fob's and program them using a app and a OBDII scanner. Well the scanner cost more than I am willing to spend when the damn truck should have come with 2 keys.
Today I go to my closest Ram dealership to pick up skid plates I had ordered (why in the hell would anyone produce a 4x4 truck without them?) and I ask them about getting a key code and told them about my purchase of a preowned ram and only received one key. They informed me that all dealerships that sold FCA preowned would only give one key regardless of how many they had to the vehicle. WTF! They told me to go to moparkeycode.com and i could get the pin code. They didn't tell me that I would have to jump through 10 various sizes of hoops, get a college degree in automobile security, join a National Automobile Security Task Force, pay Mopar tech authority a stupid price to get a subscription to access information on the vehicle I had just paid $30000 dollars for and only allowed one key to the damn thing. I have had it.
I am ready to take the title and registration as soon as they come in and sell it for a mule team and wagon.

BRUXUS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Bought ( this summer) 2015 ecodiesel Laramie from Ram dealer in Hamilton Ontario, got 2 keys and manuals without asking. Absolutely love this truck !!!

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Sit down and write real letter to Toyota
Dealer, send certified letter,
Asked for 2nd key an ower manual,
Best it know ower name,

dealer are dealer some are grat some good some are bad, The brand-name has nothing to do with it name !

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Can you expand on this? I bought my truck new, and have bought several trucks new, and have never heard of or seen a "cover for when the tailgate is off".

Gotcha. I might have something like that. Got a few little trinkets on the glovebox. I thought you were talking about a cover for where the tailgate was. Like a tarp or net or something.

No, just the boring stuff to prevent corrosion and wire damage mentioned in the tailgate removal procedure in your owners manual and the Mopar video below. One for the truck side, one for the tailgate.

cconthecc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Similar issue with my used 2018 RAM 1500 Express purchase from a multi-brand dealership. Received only 1 key fob, and dealer stood by their AS-IS sale. Now I’m going through the exercise to obtain a 2nd key fob that works for my vehicle. Another unwanted expense.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Similar issue with my used 2018 RAM 1500 Express purchase from a multi-brand dealership. Received only 1 key fob, and dealer stood by their AS-IS sale. Now I’m going through the exercise to obtain a 2nd key fob that works for my vehicle. Another unwanted expense.

Wow, as- is on a 2018 model year vehicle? Thats complete bs! At that kind of money they should be much more willing to accommodate folks.

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Be wary of using those cheap FOBS from Ebay and Amazon, I’ve known people that used those, paid $75-100 per FOB for programming and they didn’t accept the programming or lasted only a few months and stopped working all together, I spent $100 for two new OEM FOBS, they still work three years later.

Kevin

koblesCar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 HEMI with 31000 miles two weeks ago from a dealership. (It was a toyota dealership's pre-owned lot.) A well known dealership....Fred Haas Toyota!. Before going into the Finance Office to pay for it I asked the sales rep. for a second key and a owners manual. He told me he would go get them. In the meantime i was called into the finance office to pay for it. After getting pressured and talked into buying a 3rd party extended warranty for $3000 that could only be purchased at the time of sales, so I was told. But could cancel it within 30 days for full refund. I wrote them a check. I leave the finance office to gather the keys, owners manual and truck and the sales rep was waiting and told me there was no 2nd key or manual. What could I say I was stuck. I drive home thinking about what had transpired and realized I had been duped. I went to my locksmith and he referred me to another locksmith because he didnt have the ability to program the fob.
The next day I canceled the 3rd party extended warranty. Joined this forum and read how to buy blank key fob's and program them using a app and a OBDII scanner. Well the scanner cost more than I am willing to spend when the damn truck should have come with 2 keys.
Today I go to my closest Ram dealership to pick up skid plates I had ordered (why in the hell would anyone produce a 4x4 truck without them?) and I ask them about getting a key code and told them about my purchase of a preowned ram and only received one key. They informed me that all dealerships that sold FCA preowned would only give one key regardless of how many they had to the vehicle. WTF! They told me to go to moparkeycode.com and i could get the pin code. They didn't tell me that I would have to jump through 10 various sizes of hoops, get a college degree in automobile security, join a National Automobile Security Task Force, pay Mopar tech authority a stupid price to get a subscription to access information on the vehicle I had just paid $30000 dollars for and only allowed one key to the damn thing. I have had it.
I am ready to take the title and registration as soon as they come in and sell it for a mule team and wagon.

You could have canceled even after signing... call the financial agency..

Also you are getting filled full of **** by 2 dealerships, where do you live? I would purchase some from somewhere else next time. I know the Ram dealer up here has a **** ton of ******** charges which add up to about 3G in paper work fees, So I don't go to them. Took a 2.5 hour drive to another dealership for purchase... no issue..

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
I got 2 keys with my Certified Pre Owned RAM 1500 when I bought it 2 years ago and the parts dept gave me my RF module pin code, Radio pin code and physical key code for the asking. Owners manual was free from the RAM web site. Sounds like you just ended up at a $hitty dealer.

-K

Porkbutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your main problem is believing anything a dealer or service rep says.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Isn’t that all dealers? I had a sales mgr. curse & scream at me once. But in the end I got him fired so it all works out.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last few vehicles I traded in I only gave 1 key as I left the spare at home. Dealer never asked for it and didn't pay a penalty. Guess I'm part of the problem so sorry for that. LOL.

I order all my trucks without skid plates as I don't go off road I don't need them. They also reduce your payload capacity not by much but it all adds up, and for something I don't need I don't include it.

Good luck with the truck.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've been had a less than honest used vehicle dealer.
We've been using the same people for years and they always provide two keys. Once a week a locksmith comes by in her van and makes additional keys at no cost to buyer if there is only one upon purchase of car/truck.
You should have insisted on two keys and had it written into purchase agreement if necessary.

subic97

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Wow 60 year old guy and you get your undies in a twist about a second key and owners manual on a used Ram truck from a Toyota dealer? Kinda sounds like you got more problems then that.