My Ram is gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want something that will last 500k miles, get a diesel Ram and remove the Def system…

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want something that will last 500k miles, get a diesel Ram and remove the Def system…

You talking Cummins ...or Eco?

Diesel is a great option for long distance drivers ..not so good for shorter commuters. Frustrating thing around here is it's close to $1 more per gallon than gasoline.

Maybe we should all just go Cybertruck lol. No Hemi tick, bad cam, manifold leaks, tranny woes, rear diff noises, MDS delete, leaking heater core, or "Best Oil & filter?" wars, etc. Man, life would get kind of boring on this forum (Whoops! I might have uncorked something there)... lol. We could still debate the best winter tire though :)

Last edited:

rsavant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sold my 2011 Ram 4wd truck.
Why you ask,
Well I bought it almost 6 years ago for 20k. It had 38k miles on it back them and I must say I loved driving this truck. It was a great driving truck, sharp design, burgundy paint and nice wheels. You sat up nice when driving and it gave me the feeling of security from an accident.
So why sell. Because the hemi motor is a disgrace to its family.
I've owned mopars for almost 50 years. This hemi was the biggest disappointment in all those years. At 64k miles it started throwing a misfire code. The long story short, the #3 exhaust roller lifter locked up and wiped the cam lobe. I did the work myself and parts were over $2500. The more I read about this issue that madder I got until last week I advertised it and it sold in 3 days.
The good news is I got $19,900 for it which may have been low or may have been right in line with todays prices but it did have 2 or 3 small dings. I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another Ram product. I still own a 66 Dart that is heavily modified and I was that pissed I considered selling it but then came to my senses.
During my repair there were a bunch of good people here that helped me get it back running and I want to say thank you all for the help. Hope no one ever has another issue with a hemi again but looking at the design I know better. Best of luck to all.
Rod

rsavant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, I had sold my 2016 Ram with Hemi 5.7 to my stepson so he wouldn't take out a $50k loan on a new truck. It also had the exhaust manifold bolts issue a few years back after warranty. That was nearly 2 years ago. At 132k miles we just paid $6300 to have a remanufactored engine installed (3year/unlimited mileage warranty). The shop that did the swap had two destroyed cashafts on his wall for display. One was from a late model Ram, the other from a newer Silverado. His take on it is cheap materials or poor metalurgy, as he said he had replaced many over recent years. At one time, I thought the 2016 might be capable of 250k miles or more. Now I'm tempted to sell my 2022 Ram with Hemi and buy a Toyota Tundra.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
RamForum has become very depressing.
I'm gonna have to leave it for awhile as everyone gets their piles of junk fixed :flame::argue:

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You talking Cummins ...or Eco?

Diesel is a great option for long distance drivers ..not so good for shorter commuters. Frustrating thing around here is it's close to $1 more per gallon than gasoline.

Maybe we should all just go Cybertruck lol. No Hemi tick, bad cam, manifold leaks, tranny woes, rear diff noises, MDS delete, leaking heater core, or "Best Oil & filter?" wars, etc. Man, life would get kind of boring on this forum (Whoops! I might have uncorked something there)... lol. We could still debate the best winter tire though :)

The eco hasn’t been out nearly long enough to determine how good it really is—longevity

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes,the tick,very frustrated ,my 2019 started ticking at 25 kms,quiet down with pennzoil and lubaguard biotech, but comes back from time to time,it really suck, I feel your pain bro.
I’ve tried 3 different oils at even different weights (5w20 & 5w30). I’ve spoke to chrysler and they will be covering 85% of the cost (parts & labor) to have it fixed so I will be getting the work done soon. Other than getting the actual nuts replaced, I don’t think anything will get rid of the problem. I think I have to come out $250 out of pocket.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The eco hasn’t been out nearly long enough to determine how good it really is—longevity
Came out in 2014.
The reborn hemi came out in 2003 and it had problems after being in use for only a couple years.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Came out in 2014.
The reborn hemi came out in 2003 and it had problems after being in use for only a couple years.
I was referring to the diesel engine. Who designs the cummings? Cummins, correct? So it would stand to reason that the motor in the Ram being a Cummins has about 100 years of trial & error. That’s why it’s said that these 6-inline motors will typically outlast and outperform the Powerstroke & the Duramax. Just like the notorious Allison transmissions will typically outlast its competitors Ford and Ram. Granted, now-a-days innovations enable competitors to copy certain things without breaking any copyrights.

Last edited:

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's an F-body ford? ...Fox Mustang? Or something else?

I think most people I know when they hear F-body they think of camaro/firebird
All those v8’s sound very similar when you start alternating the factory components.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sold my 2011 Ram 4wd truck.
Why you ask,
Well I bought it almost 6 years ago for 20k. It had 38k miles on it back them and I must say I loved driving this truck. It was a great driving truck, sharp design, burgundy paint and nice wheels. You sat up nice when driving and it gave me the feeling of security from an accident.
So why sell. Because the hemi motor is a disgrace to its family.
I've owned mopars for almost 50 years. This hemi was the biggest disappointment in all those years. At 64k miles it started throwing a misfire code. The long story short, the #3 exhaust roller lifter locked up and wiped the cam lobe. I did the work myself and parts were over $2500. The more I read about this issue that madder I got until last week I advertised it and it sold in 3 days.
The good news is I got $19,900 for it which may have been low or may have been right in line with todays prices but it did have 2 or 3 small dings. I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another Ram product. I still own a 66 Dart that is heavily modified and I was that pissed I considered selling it but then came to my senses.
During my repair there were a bunch of good people here that helped me get it back running and I want to say thank you all for the help. Hope no one ever has another issue with a hemi again but looking at the design I know better. Best of luck to all.
Rod
Emotional responses to life's problems generally result in regret. Anger, in particular, is one's most expensive emotion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357