DEF Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Pencka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Hey there!!

I just bought a new Ram 2019 3500 Limited, Ive had it a little over a week now. Couple questions for you more experienced folks!

This is my first diesel - purchased mainly for pulling an RV from Seattle area to Central Florida in a couple months.

My DEF indicator shows about 1/2 - first 1/2 of what? The tank volume is 1/2 empty? How much does it hold? What kind/brand of DEF do I need to purchase and where can I get it? I don't want to buy something cheap or that will do damage, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either, for liquid gold. I just want a good quality fluid. What do y'all recommend?

Next question - My RAM has the new large screen (U-connect) in the dash. I had a hell of a time getting Sirius radio initiated on this truck. I spent several hours and talked to multiple support people at Sirius with no luck! The last guy finally sounded as if he had given up and he told me that this is a known RAM issue with Sirius and the new U-Connect system. Has anyone else here had a similar experience? Immediately after I hung with this last Virus guy, I googles searched and it does appear I want the only one that had this issue.

Yes, I said had! A few hours later, I went out to the truck to "play" with it. Lo and behold it started working for me!

Finally - I bought a new BakFlip Tonneau cover - its a 6.5' bed with Megacab. I went to kick out the step - it was gone!!! Its on my window sticker as being part of the package. Gotta tell ya, I was pissed after all this crap happening to me. I immediately drove to the dealer - and was told all of these steps had been removed and are going to be recalled when a fix is delivered. Has anyone else encountered this issue??? Seems my salesman "forgot" to mention this.

Gotta say, after all this crap, I was soured on RAM. I hope my feelings change in time!!

Thanks for any comments!!
Steve

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
If it is the same as my '18, the tank is 5.5gal. The jugs come in 2.5g, so when at half add a jug and you won't overfill. I have heard of error code issues if filled to the brim. I have been using the Wally version for a year and a half and without any issues. The Diesel Supplement brochure that came with the truck has it all in it. Right now the brochures/manuals download on the Ram Truck site is not working.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Unlike many items DEF is DEF. It is 32.5% urea, and 67.5% deionized water. There are no additive packages, or custom formulations to justify spending more for a brand in a fancy box. Make sure the bottle is sealed, and check the date code. It does degrade with age, and that rate varies based on temperature. Some have an easy to read date code, and many use some asinine reverse julian crap to confuse you, so learn how the system works to protect yourself.

I have used mostly Supertech from Wally World at $7.88/2.5 gal jug, or from the truck pumps when traveling with the toy hauler.

OP
OP
S

Steve Pencka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
First, thanks for the replies!! So, it doesn't sound as if I'd want to Puy on Amazon, since I have no idea of the date. So.... where does that leave me? Wa'Mart, Target, Auto Parts stores, where I suspect you'd pay more. Just wondering??

Thanks Again!!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Go to Walmart, one on the interstate. They will have a giant pallet in the automotive section with stacks of DEF jugs for $8. Dump it in when the level is below half.

Done

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
And as a FYI form Cummings

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/MB10033.pdf

Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?

A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have run the DEF down to where the needle is on the red mark and after I pour in a 2.5 gal jug the gauge shows 3/4 full.
I've only added DEF a few times and only used the walmart $7.88 cheap stuff and have had zero problems. It sure beats $12.00+ for the name brand stuff.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you are soured with your new RAM, hook it up to your trailer and feel the torque from that Cummins! You'll feel better real quick. As for DEF, Walmart or a Truck Stop is where I get mine. Also, don't be alarmed about the amount your truck uses. If you are not towing, you'll think the gauge is broken because you'll hardly use any. And lastly, I think my truck holds 7 gallons of DEF. When my gauge shows 1/4 tank, I buy two boxes from Walmart and it holds both.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’ve got 8100 miles on my 2500 and I’ve only added 2.5 gallons of DEF since I bought it. But I’ve only towed with it 1300 miles. It had about 3/4 tank when I got it and added the 2.5 gallons when it got to 1/4 tank and it filled it up. I used the bulk tank at a Pilot TS and no problem yet but I have a box of the Blue DEF for next time and it will be shortly.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
From the time I first bought my 2017 CTD, I kept the DEF full, as I did not know how long the ~5.5 gallons would last under various conditions. After a plugged DEF injector problem (not only was it a zero problem, but also a one problem, as it sent a bunch of errant zeroes and ones to the system, displaying an error code). Now, on the advice of the Diesel wizard at the dealership, I let the DEF level drop to ~1/4 and then add a 2.5 gallon jug of fresh DEF.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I’ve got 8100 miles on my 2500 and I’ve only added 2.5 gallons of DEF since I bought it. But I’ve only towed with it 1300 miles. It had about 3/4 tank when I got it and added the 2.5 gallons when it got to 1/4 tank and it filled it up. I used the bulk tank at a Pilot TS and no problem yet but I have a box of the Blue DEF for next time and it will be shortly.

The new '19+ trucks use a lot more DEF than prior, especially when pulling.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I let the DEF level drop to ~1/4 and then add a 2.5 gallon jug of fresh DEF.

That's how I do it, zero issues to date. I always check the date code on the DEF (and seal on the container), never found one very old, typically three months old. I also test it with a DEF refractometer, you can get one for around $25, and for me, it is cheap insurance. I remember the "Walmart water in the DEF jugs" fiasco, folks would buy the DEF, replace it with water and return for a refund.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
What is a "lot" more over the 2013 through 2018 engines?
People I have spoken to who owned both said initially it was roughly twice as much. There was a reflash for excessive DEF consumption, and it did reduce it. I track mine, and overall in about 20K miles it is about 716 mpg/DEF. When pulling my toy hauler closer to 470 mpg/DEF.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
People I have spoken to who owned both said initially it was roughly twice as much. There was a reflash for excessive DEF consumption, and it did reduce it. I track mine, and overall in about 20K miles it is about 716 mpg/DEF. When pulling my toy hauler closer to 470 mpg/DEF.

So the net result is there really isn't a difference from gen 4 to 5 Cummins with DEF usage. So your initial post about DEF usage was for...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
So the net result is there really isn't a difference from gen 4 to 5 Cummins with DEF usage. So your initial post about DEF usage was for...
No, even with the reflash they use more DEF, according to owners who own or owned both. There are plenty of folks on other forums, and youtube who are reporting this. My prior CTD was an '05, and my '15 was a gasser, so I did not personally own a '13-'18.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Maybe by using more DEF it’s not using the EGR as much. I cringe every time I think about going to the dealer and not knowing what “Miracle” programming some bureaucrat has implemented to update the emissions tuning because some coal roller has pissed them off.

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
I have gone through approx 7.5 gal of DEF in 5000 miles on my new 2019 3500 HO, mainly city driving. I have also received the Recall VB6 that identifies it as a "2019 DJ D2 Diesel Engine Calibration". Has anyone else got this recall and had it performed? Does this recall have anything to do with the excessive DEF consumption?