Delete carpet option - rubber floors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vijo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking to get a truck with the rubber floors -- "deleted carpet option". Was wondering if anyone has it and if there are any downsides to it other than aesthetics.

1. More noise
2. Less durable
3. anything else

it's free so it's just a matter of deciding which I want -- there is no upside or downside monetarily speaking to the decision

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would keep the carpet and get all weather mats, JMHO. I had rubber floors in my 84 Ramcharger, when cleaned they looked good but get dirty quickly..

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My Laramie came with factory all weather mats which are almost full rubber covering the floor. Barely any carpet shows with them in there.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I looked into it right after diggin' out about 20# of dog hair and living out in the county. To go all rubber flooring, it was over $600. I looked all over for a salvage yard and around here, even Denver, was nothing. WeatherTech is what I wound up going with.

Last edited:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Won't stain or hold smells, easy to clean. I wish I could have gotten it in my truck but above a certain trim level you can only get carpet. I don't lay in the floor or ride in it barefoot so no carpet is my preference.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It’s easy. Vacuum and wipe with a wet rag. Done.
I‘ve got the all weather mats that clip in and cover everything and you‘d be surprised what can work its way around.

Cleaning sand and winter road chemicals from automotive carpet is an effort in futility, no thanks. I’m very glad to have the rubber floor.

OP
OP
V

Vijo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am getting a tradesman. I am going to order it. in the options section to delete the carpet is $0 so I am considering it. It never fails. At some point in time, something high volume spills or someone inadvertently drags something in on their shoes and it gets on the carpet. I have used weather tech but I still like the idea of no carpet. As was mentioned above -- the smell is a factor and it's one I had not considered.

If you have young kids it's mandatory -- my kids are older now but damn! my old Tacoma saw some serious action. Everything from ice cream, throwing up, dirt, all kinds of food and you name it, it got on the carpet. Go camping or on road trips and you only compound the issue. Weathertechs did a good job most of the time but it's impossible with young kids. I imagine a dog owner would seriously benefit from rubber over the carpet.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh man do I miss the all rubber flooring on my pickups back in the 1990s. I'd take that any day in my 2019 classic. Sure they show the dirt/salt in the winter, but they clean right up with a wet rag, etc.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had rubber flooring and vinyl seats in my first truck, 1972 GMC long bed. Among other work related uses, I also used it to drive people home from the bar and hose it out to clean it LOL. My current truck is for comfort. There's no way I'd opt for rubber floors, even if it was an option on a Limited. But then again, my kids are grown and I have no pets that ride in the truck.

OP
OP
V

Vijo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am wondering if I occasionally spray the rubber floors down with a silicone spray. Will it make it easier to clean?

To be honest, when one of my kids tossed bfast up in my Tacoma, it was a couple of days before I could clean it properly and it cleaned up nicely. Soap, water, and a wet/dry vac were used with no smell left behind. But, I do hate always being very careful when I go on road trips or camping. Just seems that rubber would be worry-free.

I am still on the fence.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Might make it to where your foot Slides off the pedal ,fuel or brake.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I ordered a Tradesman last year and went level 2 trim, which was worth it.
I've got a dog and full rubber mats. The black carpet is a PITA, but bare floors are a lot colder and I think sound is also dampened. Seat covers, at least in the back, were mandatory.

After a two week trip I pulled the OEM front rubber mats at the carwash and gave them a blast. They clean up pretty good.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have not had a vehicle without carpet, but I absolutely plan to have the delete carpet option in my next truck. WeatherTech or similar is great, but not good enough especially in mud season lol. Maybe I'm weird, but I feel that carpet has no place in a truck!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 21 BTS came with the mopar floor mats and there isn't any carpet showing.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2003 4wd regular cab long bed 4.7 had vinyl floors, while it was every easy to clean, it was very easy for my wife and people not familiar with vinyl floors to slip, my wife almost fell out, and that would have been a huge problem... I did love the clean up.

If you are in a snow area, what concerned me was that water/salt wouldn't get soaked up by the carpet, it would run down the vinyl, and I heard people say that rust would build up in these areas. I never noticed it by the time I got rid of the truck for my current 4th Gen.