Diablo tune and emission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the diablo tune on 93 octane tune .. will I have to detune my truck to take it threw emission. My truck is a 2012 1500

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You got CARB in CA. Best ask Diablosports. All 8 of my canned tunes on their Edge Pulsar are CARB E.O. Don't know if or how they classify any custom tunes.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have the diablo tune on 93 octane tune .. will I have to detune my truck to take it threw emission. My truck is a 2012 1500

For the OBD2 Test the vehicle will be commanded to illuminate the Check Engine Light. As long as it can be lit with their equipment where your tuner didn't disable it you'll pass. It passed for me in AZ but I had to request that my tuner send me an "emissions" file so the CEL is not disabled. Very pleased as this was my first attempt with LT's w hi flo cats.

Now for smog they will toss you on a dyno and measure Nox.

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in MD so it is read threw obd2 port. I had a 87 tune on my jeep commander with hyper tech and that one passed.. I didn't know if it was different for the higher octane this is the first vehicle I've ran the 93 octane my Jeep and my F150 I only used 87 and 87 tow. My ram I have set for sport driving

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm in MD so it is read threw obd2 port. I had a 87 tune on my jeep commander with hyper tech and that one passed.. I didn't know if it was different for the higher octane this is the first vehicle I've ran the 93 octane my Jeep and my F150 I only used 87 and 87 tow. My ram I have set for sport driving

The tune itself won't cause failure. You can run 87, 91, 105, 109 e85 etc. The cause of failure is that your custom CMR tuner will disable emissions related equipment that way if you're running cam, no cats etc that stupid light won't go off every minute.

Disabling the CEL actually worked in the early 2000's. I'd suspect California figured that part out and passed the info along. However now a disabled CEL in the tune will cause automatic failure because they know its bypassing their emissions equipment.

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm only on a preloaded tune with a few bolt ones. not a custom tune. all factory emission part are still functional

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm only on a preloaded tune with a few bolt ones. not a custom tune. all factory emission part are still functional

So now that Long tubes with cats can pass. How much aftermarket cam can I get and still be able to pass.

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,
I have a custom tune from Hemifever and a pair of BBK shorties and my truck pass the Carb with a CO2 sensor in the tail pipe.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's interesting because ARH has low restriction cats - they are not the same as stock. They have 200 cells and factory has 400 cells. I've seen users say you can smell the exhaust a bit, meaning they don't convert all the HC & CO.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
That's interesting because ARH has low restriction cats - they are not the same as stock. They have 200 cells and factory has 400 cells. I've seen users say you can smell the exhaust a bit, meaning they don't convert all the HC & CO.

I'm no expert but I'm theory is on location of the cat.

I have zero issues with smell or O2 codes infact passing emissions. My set up are aFe Long tubes. Some manufacturers put the cat right behind the header, others bend the y first then cat.

Again just my theory but the issue would be the bend in the y-pipe first then cat. Most OEM's mount the cat right after the stock manifold so it makes sense. :33:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm no expert but I'm theory is on location of the cat.

I have zero issues with smell or O2 codes infact passing emissions. My set up are aFe Long tubes. Some manufacturers put the cat right behind the header, others bend the y first then cat.

Again just my theory but the issue would be the bend in the y-pipe first then cat. Most OEM's mount the cat right after the stock manifold so it makes sense. :33:

Good to know yours pass emissions. We in MN don't have tests anymore. At least for now.

Yes, cats are located as close to engine as possible for fastest (hottest) light off. Catalyst only works above a certain temperature. I don't recall it.