Diablo tuner (and maybe other tuner) and iDatalink Maestro RR compatibility issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've upgrade my head unit and used the Maestro RR for integration with the truck. Everything was working flawlessly, but last night when I tried to change the tune of my truck it failed, the tuner was in recovery mode and couldn't get the truck back to stock.

I called to Diablo this morning and they reset my unit, but was failing at reading the tune so either my PCM/tuner was going bad or something else was causing the issue. Knowing that the Maestro RR rely heavily on the can-bus I decided to unplug it and bam everything started to work again.

I know there's a setting I can change in the Maestro RR in relation to the can-bus so I'll try that and if it doesn't work I'll simply put a switch on cables that are used for can-bus communication.

Anyone else using a Maestro RR and tune their truck?

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I plugged back the radio/module and the tuning process failed again. At this point I'm absolutely sure that it's the Maestro RR that interfere with the tuner. After a little googling I found that you can disable the ODB2 communication (used for gauge and CEL) from the radio.

After disabling it from the the radio menu I was able to restore the truck and re tune it. I'm glad I found this because I was about to put a switch on the radio harness to disable the DATA + and DATA - wires.

Hope this help anyone with the same module and a tuner.
OBD2 Communication
Auto Disable (default)

The module will communicate with the vehicle’s OBD2 system unless it detects another
device. This may be a scan tool or aftermarket programmer connected to the vehicle.
Always Enabled
The module will communicate with the vehicle’s OBD2 system even when a scan tool
or aftermarket programmer is connected. However, some scan tools and aftermarket
programmers will not function when this option is enabled.
Disabled
The module will not communicate with the vehicle’s OBD2 system. This option applies when
using a scan tool or aftermarket programmer that does not allow multiple connections at
the same time.
Enabled on Demand
The module will only communicate with the vehicle’s OBD2 system when the vehicle info
or gauges screen is displayed. This is used in vehicles that issue a periodic vehicle health
report through a factory system such as Sync or OnStar. However, applying this setting may
cause the fuel economy calculations to be inaccurate.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So I plugged back the radio/module and the tuning process failed again. At this point I'm absolutely sure that it's the Maestro RR that interfere with the tuner. After a little googling I found that you can disable the ODB2 communication (used for gauge and CEL) from the radio.

After disabling it from the the radio menu I was able to restore the truck and re tune it. I'm glad I found this because I was about to put a switch on the radio harness to disable the DATA + and DATA - wires.

Hope this help anyone with the same module and a tuner.

Thank you for sharing this!