Difference between power outlet and cigarette outlet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a difference between the power outlet and cigarette outlet?

Can they not be both used to power USB devices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, but U plug in a 12V receptacle into lighter, which is DC, and U have an inverter on the 110 Power outlet and U plug in AC powered items, but U have to be aware of the wattage, as the inverter not designed to run a house LOL...

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your dash sounds like mine. One round port says 12v and has a key on the cover, the other round port says 12v and has a battery symbol on the cover. On mine, I think the one with the battery pic is direct power, where the one with the key on the cover must mean the key has to be ON or ACC to be powered, either will work for charging a phone with the adapter you linked.

I have a similar setup on my '14 Patriot. The 110 outlet is in the center console on the Jeep.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not getting that.

Will this not work in both ports?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072C7R4CD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_R.fACbYF3JAJ5

Is the difference between a PowerPort and a cigarette lighter port that the cigarette lighter port comes with the cigarette lighter?

YES, in the 12V ports....

DITTO what FLEA: SAID: and what FLEA said about the cover/diagram on the 12V is correct: Key = key on, Battery means powered all the time. NOW, just to confuse U, U can go into fuse box and SWITCH the position of the fuse for the 12V key outlet and make it full time power if U want to...

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks

This clears things up.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your dash sounds like mine. One round port says 12v and has a key on the cover, the other round port says 12v and has a battery symbol on the cover. On mine, I think the one with the battery pic is direct power, where the one with the key on the cover must mean the key has to be ON or ACC to be powered, either will work for charging a phone with the adapter you linked.

I have a similar setup on my '14 Patriot. The 110 outlet is in the center console on the Jeep.

My 07' quad cab has the left one is 12V power with the key on, the one on the right is 12V power all the time, as long as the battery is connected, I also have one in my center console which is also 12V power with key on.