Differential problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swapped a bad axle shaft and when replacing the new one, the carrier pin that goes up thru the spider gears won’t fit between the axles now. I tried putting the old shaft back in to see if it was something I did or if the new shaft was a bit long and it wouldn’t work either. The spider gears came out and I put them back in and the side gear on the side I was replacing also slipped out. I feel like I got them back in good but maybe not? I can’t figure it out. The side gear has like 5 thin disks with teeth that go around the part of the gear that the shaft slides in to and 5 additional thin disks with no teeth in between those, if that makes sense.. like a stack of ten thin disks that alternate between a toothed disk and a non tooth disk. I hope I’m making sense to someone out there...

any thoughts on what is holding the one shaft out?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
The disc’s that you are referring to is the limited slip clutch pack. It sounds like the spider gear moved a hair out of position. Push the axel in all the way and put the c clip in place then pull that same axel back out, they’ll only back out so far cause of the c clips. Then you may need to align the spiders to slide the pin in. Don’t forget to blue lock-tight the pin bolt.

If this isn’t what your typing about then post up some pics so we can help further.

When I replaced my bearings, I had to tap the spider about a 1/8” to get it back to where I could slide the pin in easily.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put the c clips back in the axle and pulled them out as far as they would go. Even had someone pulling on it from the wheel side to hopefully get the clearance for the pin but no luck. I feel like maybe one of those clutch pack discs are not turned correctly maybe? Like maybe the last one with the teeth on it isnt turned properly holding it out the thickness of the disc? I feel like it’s in tight but the W shaped clips that holds the clutch packs are gone. They were chewed up stuck to the magnet when I popped the diff cover off.

I got the pin to go through the first spider gear, just won’t go past the axles.

I also couldn’t get the cupped washers that go over the spider gears to “roll” with the spiders either. They just will not go at all. Something is jacked or there’s a trick that I don’t know. I can take pics later after work.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Put the c clips back in the axle and pulled them out as far as they would go. Even had someone pulling on it from the wheel side to hopefully get the clearance for the pin but no luck. I feel like maybe one of those clutch pack discs are not turned correctly maybe? Like maybe the last one with the teeth on it isnt turned properly holding it out the thickness of the disc? I feel like it’s in tight but the W shaped clips that holds the clutch packs are gone. They were chewed up stuck to the magnet when I popped the diff cover off.

I got the pin to go through the first spider gear, just won’t go past the axles.

I also couldn’t get the cupped washers that go over the spider gears to “roll” with the spiders either. They just will not go at all. Something is jacked or there’s a trick that I don’t know. I can take pics later after work.

So the pin goes through the first spider and hits both axel ends, making it so you can’t push the pin all the way through correct?
Stupid question but did you compare the new to the old axel to make sure you have the correct one?

Definitely take pics, would love to know why it won’t go through.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I compared them. They were identical. Even when I tried reinstalling the original one, the carrier pin still doesn’t fit between the axles so even if I wasn’t replacing the axle there’s still a problem somewhere. It’s something I did I’m sure I just can’t figure out what is holding it out the 16th or 32nd of an inch that it’s off..

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yes I compared them. They were identical. Even when I tried reinstalling the original one, the carrier pin still doesn’t fit between the axles so even if I wasn’t replacing the axle there’s still a problem somewhere. It’s something I did I’m sure I just can’t figure out what is holding it out the 16th or 32nd of an inch that it’s off..

You may have inadvertently moved all of the spiders out of position and it’s not allowing the axels to seat. When you pulled the axel out as far as it can, can you see the c clip on the axel? If so, there’s your issue.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I’m sure someone with more knowledge of diffs will chime in and figure this out.

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you talking about the c clip that holds the axle onto the side gears? I pushed the axle inward, towards the other axle and removed the c clip from the axle end and then pulled the whole axle out of the shaft. Is there another c clip you are referring to?

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get what you mean. No, I cannot see the c clip anymore. It’s at the same depth as the clip on the axle I didn’t touch. Something is holding the entire side gear out a little. I think it’s the clutch packs. That side gear has to be resting on the final disk instead of going through it like it’s supposed to

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here’s a pic of the situation and a picture of the clutch packs. I know the spider gears aren’t in yet but just showing how the gap isn’t big enough for the carrier pin

1789410D-2600-4835-AE36-B167DBB59114.jpeg

057C2DA6-08B2-445A-BD8E-955304D8A488.jpeg

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Here’s a pic of the situation and a picture of the clutch packs. I know the spider gears aren’t in yet but just showing how the gap isn’t big enough for the carrier pin

View attachment 133962

View attachment 133963
No pics showed up bud.

Never mind, I can view them.

I’m going to upload some pics of my diff so you can compare. It will take a few minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines a 9.25 with 3.92 gears

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why does it look like your clutch packs aren’t in the half round groove? Looks like they are slightly down a bit. Might just be the angle

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Why does it look like your clutch packs aren’t in the half round groove? Looks like they are slightly down a bit. Might just be the angle

Ok, we do have the same diff.
The clutch plates look like that because it’s getting warn, that’s what happens to them, they eat through the housing when engaging. Sux.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
This is just an idea, what if you were to grind it down that tiny bit you need? Idk if that would cause any issues or not. I wish someone with more knowledge would chime in already!

OP
OP
Bking99

Bking99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I made a phone call and he said there needs to be an extreme amount of outward pressure on the side gears to get that pin in. I cant even get he thrush washers on the spider gears to roll in with them. They just peel off as soon as they roll around to the solid part of the carrier. Did you have to put any outward type pressure on the gears when you did yours?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Well I made a phone call and he said there needs to be an extreme amount of outward pressure on the side gears to get that pin in. I cant even get he thrush washers on the spider gears to roll in with them. They just peel off as soon as they roll around to the solid part of the carrier. Did you have to put any outward type pressure on the gears when you did yours?

No, no outward pressure but the first gear had to be pushed up about 1/8 to get the pin in.