difficulty filling fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbergfalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to hear from people about this problem. The nozzle clicks of repeatedly and is very slow to fill. The dealer wanted $1,000 to replace tank and filler neck. Instead I parked the inside heated garage (I live in Minnesota and this was a winter problem). The last four fills have gone without a click off. The dealer says that won't last so I am waiting yet to see. I hear others have had same problem. Is this more common in winter? Let me know and hopefully people will not have to spend the $$$$$

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cant fill my truck above -20, Been like that since 2012... lol...

You get used to it.

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This just happened to me over the weekend. Took me over an hour to get half a tank. And I was in NJ where the attendant fills the tank for you. I told him I would do it. I've been on the phone with dealer as this is a known issue. I also sent email to Dodge/Chrysler to complain.

OP
OP
D

dbergfalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This just happened to me over the weekend. Took me over an hour to get half a tank. And I was in NJ where the attendant fills the tank for you. I told him I would do it. I've been on the phone with dealer as this is a known issue. I also sent email to Dodge/Chrysler to complain.
I wonder if the cold affects it could people try parking in in a warm area for 12-15 hours. It solved it for me

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I will only state one thing
NEVER top off a gas tank, after the pump clicks the first time & the tank is close to full.
Doing that can & likely will cause liquid gas to enter places that only gas vapors are meant to be.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Never had that issue with either my '15 or '20. Granted, I do park in a 40° or so garage overnight, but I generally fill up on my way home, and it could have been a high of single numbers above or below zero that day.

My Porsche, OTOH, takes 10 minutes to put 12-15 gallons in even when it's 80° out...

Turbo67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2007
Engine
5.7, 5.9
My 18 gives me this every once in a while, I usually play around with nozzle position to make it work, I live in PA, not crazy cold like Minnesota but I don't park mine in a warm garage either. Sucks they didn't fix this issue on the 5th gens. Shouldn't it be warranty for you if the dealership wants to start the part swapping game on a 20?

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if the cold affects it could people try parking in in a warm area for 12-15 hours. It solved it for me
Yes, it is the cold. It is a known issue. When you're on a road trip, where are you supposed to find a "warm area" for 12-15 hours? I was left stranded for hours trying to fill the tank.

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will only state one thing
NEVER top off a gas tank, after the pump clicks the first time & the tank is close to full.
Doing that can & likely will cause liquid gas to enter places that only gas vapors are meant to be.
Has nothing to do with the issue. I agree with the "topping off" comment, but this issues is causing the auto-shutoff to happen every two seconds when the tank is less than 1/4 full. Took me over 90 mins to get 3/4 full.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same issue here on a 2018. I live in southeastern Virginia where people hibernate if the temp drops below 32F. I park in a finished garage year round and have had this issue almost a year, happens in the warm or cold. I’ve never “topped” off the tank, when it clicked off I was finished fueling. No codes and I have the newer style fill neck. It’s gotten progressively worse where I can only pump in about a gallon per minute. I also tried removing the rollover valve spring as was suggested by another forum member and while it has helped a little it’s not the fix I’m looking for. Note that once you remove the rollover valve spring you can’t put it back on and when fueling the gas will overflow at some point, it’s messy.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Low temps may only be making the problem more pronounced, and not the cause of the problem. Many 5th gen owners have had this issue. When they could get a dealer to actually fix the problem it usually eventually turned out the be the roll over valve, which requires a tank replacement. I believe I read there is even a TSB for this. They apparently redesigned the roll over valve on the newer tanks. I have no direct experience with this fix. I'm just reporting what I've read in this and other forums.

Kevin3676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would like to hear from people about this problem. The nozzle clicks of repeatedly and is very slow to fill. The dealer wanted $1,000 to replace tank and filler neck. Instead I parked the inside heated garage (I live in Minnesota and this was a winter problem). The last four fills have gone without a click off. The dealer says that won't last so I am waiting yet to see. I hear others have had same problem. Is this more common in winter? Let me know and hopefully people will not have to spend the $$$$$
Same problem here. I have a 2018 with 75K. I was told that the "spacing was wrong" by the dealer and they fixed it. Continued to do it and now was told it may be the tank. Not paying for it. I'll wait until Ram gets enough complaints and does a recall. The nozzle has also gotten stuck. All known issues with no fix. Once the automotive market gets back to normal, the truck is most likely gone.

johnhenryculver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
I had the same problem her in Los Angeles with my 2019 Laramie. Dealer had to replace the filler neck and entire gas tank. Said a vent on the top of the tank can become stuck , you can't un stick it . Also said to never top off when filling up . Excess gas and vapors can flow into areas and effect the sensors.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had the same problem her in Los Angeles with my 2019 Laramie. Dealer had to replace the filler neck and entire gas tank. Said a vent on the top of the tank can become stuck , you can't un stick it . Also said to never top off when filling up . Excess gas and vapors can flow into areas and effect the sensors.
That would be the roll over valve I mentioned in my previous post.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So does anyone have information or experience with Mopar fuel tanks? On all the parts websites there are three different 26 gallon replacement tanks listed. They range in price from $300-$1300, and all three show as the correct tank for my 2018 CC short bed. Anyone know the difference between these three options and which one replaces PN
68323672AA? The FCA part number clearly stamped on the side of my current tank appears obsolete and no cross reference is indicated on Mopar/Ram parts sites.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So does anyone have information or experience with Mopar fuel tanks? On all the parts websites there are three different 26 gallon replacement tanks listed. They range in price from $300-$1300, and all three show as the correct tank for my 2018 CC short bed. Anyone know the difference between these three options and which one replaces PN
68323672AA? The FCA part number clearly stamped on the side of my current tank appears obsolete and no cross reference is indicated on Mopar/Ram parts sites.
Reach out to Benny in the vendor section, all mopar parts, and he will help you.

Revelation2212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the problem several times in the 440,000 km now on my pickup - 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7 and discovered what a simple fix it was.
There is a small inverted canister about 2.5" diameter x 5" long with a small hose attached secured under the box beside the fuel fill pipe.
That canister has a paper filter in it that will get plugged over time, sooner if you drive dusty roads.
Then if you drive in wet humid weather, or if you wash underneath the truck - (I have a 90 degree nozzle to wash under body thoroughly from road salt), the paper filter will get wet and the dust in it turns to mud and then hardens. When filter is completely plugged you have the effect that everyone complains about - unable to fuel up at more than a trickle.
I have purchased twice but didn't like the price so the last time I couldn't fuel up easily I pried it apart and gently washed and rinsed the paper filter, air dried with blow dryer and then reinstalled.
That's as simple as it gets but was frustrating until I figured it out.

Attachments

• vapor canister filter.jpg
    vapor canister filter.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 22

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had the problem several times in the 440,000 km now on my pickup - 2014 RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7 and discovered what a simple fix it was.
There is a small inverted canister about 2.5" diameter x 5" long with a small hose attached secured under the box beside the fuel fill pipe.
That canister has a paper filter in it that will get plugged over time, sooner if you drive dusty roads.
Then if you drive in wet humid weather, or if you wash underneath the truck - (I have a 90 degree nozzle to wash under body thoroughly from road salt), the paper filter will get wet and the dust in it turns to mud and then hardens. When filter is completely plugged you have the effect that everyone complains about - unable to fuel up at more than a trickle.
I have purchased twice but didn't like the price so the last time I couldn't fuel up easily I pried it apart and gently washed and rinsed the paper filter, air dried with blow dryer and then reinstalled.
That's as simple as it gets but was frustrating until I figured it out.
Thanks for posting this. I'm wondering if 5th gens have this same "filter" device. It could have possibly explained the issues I was having with my previous truck if so. It just seemed to get worse over time. My current truck hasn't started seeing any issues with fueling yet, but I'll see if I can figure out whether my truck has the same device.

Edit: That's the vapor canister filter, and it is on 5th gens as well. Replacements are around $25 for the OEM version. I'll definitely keep this item in mind in case I start having fueling issues again.

Last edited: