Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabling Tailgate Lock/Unlock

Discussion in 'Interior' started by DHC4570, Jun 18, 2020.

1. WY-Dave

WY-Dave Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2018 2500
    Engine:
    6.7 CTD
    DHC4570 likes this.
  2. Jimmy07

Jimmy07 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    You would install a simple two wire switch on the tailgate handle switch sense wire, and the only spot to do that inside the cab is grabbing that wire right at the BCM. The BCM is mounted up above the brake pedal. It is the green wire with white stripe in pin number 8 of the C6/F connector. There are 7 connectors plugged into the BCM, and are labeled on the housing A-G. [​IMG]
    Obviously, doing this would mean anytime you want to open your tailgate when the truck is locked, you’d have to unlock the truck, open the door and flip the switch, then walk out back to the tailgate to open it.

DHC4570 likes this.
  3. DHC4570

DHC4570 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Yesterday I took off the access panel on the inside of the tailgate and saw that connection. I started re-looking my plan by exploring putting a toggle switch off of one of the wires after it transitions to the body harness and run wires up behind the driver's brakelight assembly. I have been looking at waterproof two pole switches and thought about mounting it in the bed near the bed light switch. It would mean opening the Diamondback to activate/deactivate the tailgate release mechanism but that wouldn't be an issue. The bed would be secure.

4. DHC4570

DHC4570 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Thank you! That's excellent information! I'll take a look and see what this entails as far as cutting and splicing. I will admit to being a bit squeamish about cutting into a factory harness as it can get expensive if I short something out...

And yes, the procedure you mention about having to get into the truck to activate the switch is exactly what I had to do previously on my 2019 Tacoma (sold to fund this truck). As Tacomas didn't come with power locking tailgates, I installed a "factory looking" pop and lock I got off Tacoma World forum that used the passenger door harness. I inserted my own kill switch in this aftermarket harness so I didn't have to cut/splice the factory harness. Worked beautifully!

I may still try going through the switch in the tailgate and installing a waterproof toggle in the bed... We'll see.

Thanks for ALL of the replies!

Dave

5. DHC4570

DHC4570 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    WY-Dave likes this.
  6. DHC4570

DHC4570 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    If I tapped off of the tailgate switch inside the tailgate, I was looking at using the tailgate release sense switch wire as I can actually find that wire on the body harness where it comes from the tailgate. Obviously due to location, corrosion is going to be a big issue so sealing everything up is critical.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  7. WY-Dave

WY-Dave Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2018 2500
    Engine:
    6.7 CTD
  8. DHC4570

DHC4570 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    WY-Dave likes this.
  9. Mingya

Mingya Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hybrid
    Off subject but sticking with the tailgate. Has anyone had any issues with the tailgate not opening? It's only happened twice now but both times the temps were close to 32 deg. It unlocks but the pulling the handle does nothing. Tried searching the site with no luck.
    Any help would be great. Thanks in advance people

10. BNeal

BNeal Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2021 Limited
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I don't mean to come of critical, but to be honest, if someone has already broken into the cab of your truck, they most certainly could force entry into the bed. Just sounds like a lot of work for a pretty unlikely situation.