Disabling Tailgate Lock/Unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlilnc14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4l
Have you tried leaving the windows down, locking your truck and waiting for it to fully arm, then reach in and see if the unlock button works? I thought the alarm system disables the interior unlock button and you can only open the door with the door handle incase you lock yourself in...if it doesn't work like this then the security system is absolutely pointless lmao.

OP
OP
DHC4570

DHC4570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't mean to come of critical, but to be honest, if someone has already broken into the cab of your truck, they most certainly could force entry into the bed. Just sounds like a lot of work for a pretty unlikely situation.

I have a Diamondback tonneau cover installed. It basically makes the bed almost as secure as the trunk of a sedan. Unless breaking a window negates that... I secure expensive items in there at times, especially when out camping, RVing and such.

OP
OP
DHC4570

DHC4570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have you tried leaving the windows down, locking your truck and waiting for it to fully arm, then reach in and see if the unlock button works? I thought the alarm system disables the interior unlock button and you can only open the door with the door handle incase you lock yourself in...if it doesn't work like this then the security system is absolutely pointless lmao.

Looks like Ram engineers are smarter than I thought. That test worked. Everything is disabled by a "forced entry". Thanks!

TorkPro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Litre
I am new to this forum, I've had 3 ram 1500 4th gens. I alway wanted to disable the tailgate unlock so someone can't smash my window, push the unlock button and get my tailgate open.

What KAD said "two wires going to it, one for lock, one for unlock. The ground is via the body. So you'd need a double pole switch to cut off both wires (or use a single pole switch to only cut off the unlock one" sounded like a solution for me.

Set up a single pole switch to disable the unlock but still be able to lock it with the key fob would be nice. I decided to try this out by unplugging both wire and created a jumper to test if I could just lock but not unlock the tail gate with key fob. It didn't work from me. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 classic.

After my tests I don't believe the ground is via the body. I believe it is a linear actuator and the polarity need to be reversed to lock or unlock read this: https://www.firgelliauto.com/blogs/actuators/how-does-a-linear-actuator-work

There must be a relay upstream of the actuator that reverses the polarity, the only way I could get any movement from the actuator was with both wires connected to complete the circuit.

I think I will need to install a hidden double pole double throw switch to enable / disable both the unlock and lock functions at the same time. I don't think you can disable 1 with out the other without finding that relay that reverses the polarity

TorkPro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Litre
I'm with BHC4570 on this one. I keep a lot of valuables is my box. I used to have a topper but it was divided by 3/4" plywood so if someone smashed the window to my topper they would still have to figure how to get past the plywood. I now had a diamondback cover, sure they could get into that as well if they wanted but your for you average smash and grab type thief by the time they smashed the window, set off the alarm I don't think they would waste much time trying to figure out why the tail gate won't unlock

TorkPro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Litre
I thought about it a bit more, because unplugging any 1 of the 2 wires (lock or unlock) disabled both functions in my test, you would only require a single pole single throw switch is series with 1 of the two wires and this would disable the both functions. I am thinking the best place to splice the switch into is the jumper wire from the box to the tail gate. Route the wires back to the box and install the hidden switch somewhere out of site but easy to reach so flip it on and off pretty discretely. This way a thief would have to smash your window and find the hidden switch. I often put hidden kill switches on my motorcycles to so you can start them without a key if you need to or alternatively a thief can't start it even with a key

lightram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You would install a simple two wire switch on the tailgate handle switch sense wire, and the only spot to do that inside the cab is grabbing that wire right at the BCM. The BCM is mounted up above the brake pedal. It is the green wire with white stripe in pin number 8 of the C6/F connector. There are 7 connectors plugged into the BCM, and are labeled on the housing A-G. View attachment 445159
Obviously, doing this would mean anytime you want to open your tailgate when the truck is locked, you’d have to unlock the truck, open the door and flip the switch, then walk out back to the tailgate to open it.
Hello,
Can you tell me if a Ram Classic 2021 has the same wire scheme ? So do I have to use the same tip ?

Regards