Not The Usual Power Door Lock Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlanBobTM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My recently acquired 2004 Ram 3500 ST Quad Cab has some electrical anomalies. Here's one that has me baffled.

The power door locks lock about 5 seconds after turning the ignition switch to On or Accessory.
They unlock immediately after turning the ignition switch to Off.
The electric lock buttons on both front doors do not work at all. (All other switches on the doors work correctly: windows, mirrors.)
Key fob locks and unlocks doors as expected, except that pressing unlock button once unlocks all doors, not just Driver side.
Unlocking the Drivers door manually unlocks only that door. Second turn of key does nothing, does not unlock other doors as expected.
Manual locks all work properly. All actuators work.

This is not the expected behavior of the doors in automatic mode locking once the vehicle speed has reached 35 mph. Trying to turn the function on or off using the 'key on/off 4 times then operate driver door lock switch, beeps to confirm' method has no effect. No confirmation beep, no change in function.

Truck came with a Bully Dog GT Diesel tuner, which also has an automatic door lock function. Enabling or disabling this function had no effect. I restored the truck to Stock mode with the Bully Dog and removed it completely. No change.

There are no DTCs.

This has me stumped because it's a consistent behavior that seems intentional. Possible other factors are:

1. The ignition key can be removed in any position. It's the same with an old unused key so it appears to be wear in the lock mechanism. Could the lock problem be caused by the ignition switch? It doesn't do anything else that's weird.
2. There is an aftermarket Rostra Cruise Control installed that isn't working. I disconnected the control module wiring, no effect.
3. Here's a fun observation: I removed fuse #22, ostensibly feeding the power door locks, and guess what? They still worked as previously described.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be causing this? The electrics on this truck are a bit more complicated than those on my 1960 Morris Minor LCV Van...

Thanks in advance,

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Best I can offer is that for the 3rd gen years around yours the driver door lock/window master control panel in the door armrest are known to have a bad solder job that gives out over time. I had it happen to mine. Fix is either new unit or solder old one. Possibly the former owner incorrectly soldered it and it is causing issues.

OP
OP
AlanBobTM

AlanBobTM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thank you for your reply. As it turns out, this was a feature, not a bug.

While sorting through the tangle of wiring behind the instrument panel above the pedals, I discovered that my truck has an Avital aftermarket keyless entry system, and that it was operating exactly as programmed. The build sheet for the truck makes no mention of power locks or power windows, so I suspect a previous owner or the dealer installed both systems, along with the cruise control (which is not working, but that's another matter).

Unfortunately the Avital system has no provision for operating the door locks with anything other than the ignition switch or the remote, which is not ideal. I'm investigating the feasibility of utilizing the door lock switches in the front doors, possibly with the use of relays to avoid frying the Avital system.

Thanks again!