Disengage Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdlechn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2023 Rebel 5.7. In my old 2017 Rebel if I left engine running but key fob leaves vehicle the transmission can not be moved out of park. Ideal when dog is in truck. In my new truck if key fob leave the truck, it can be driven all day until truck is turned off. I want the option to disengage my transmission but the dealer said he has no idea what I am talking about. Anyone have any info on this being an option?

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm interested too. My brother dropped me off for surgery in my truck. He left and I had the keys still in my pocket. He could not come back to get me once he turned the truck off at his house. I was sedated when he dropped me off and he doesn't know the truck well. He had to take his car to pick me up.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
first of all is your Ram a DS or DT ?
DS is a Classic, or 4th Generation
DT is the New Body Style or 5th Generation

Looks like the 2013 - 2019 at least have the SHIFT LOCK RELEASE in the same location

The panel above the E Brake release

Classic Ram, 4th Gen , you must release a lever that is hidden by the Orange Cord

5th Gen, does not have the lever behind the cord

4th Gen owners broke their levers way too often :(

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2023 Rebel 5.7. In my old 2017 Rebel if I left engine running but key fob leaves vehicle the transmission can not be moved out of park. Ideal when dog is in truck. In my new truck if key fob leave the truck, it can be driven all day until truck is turned off. I want the option to disengage my transmission but the dealer said he has no idea what I am talking about. Anyone have any info on this being an option?

If I remote start my '21 Warlock, the truck will not move from Park without the FOB being in the cab.

If you step on the brake without the FOB being present, the engine shuts off.

If I manually start the truck using the start button (FOB in cab) and exit the cab with the FOB, AFAIK, the truck can be moved from Park and be driven until the tank is empty or the engine is shut off.

The FOB 'is out of the truck' reminder notification will ding constantly as soon as the FOB leaves the truck after a manual start and a notification appears on the EVIC.

I wonder if your 2017 truck's behavior was as I have described and if your '23 is the same.

And welcome to Ram Forum. :cool:

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Confused on this myself. Thought the whole point of the fob was that the vehicle would shut off if a person tried to put it in gear without the fob present.

OP
OP
C

Cdlechn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I remote start my '21 Warlock, the truck will not move from Park without the FOB being in the cab.

If you step on the brake without the FOB being present, the engine shuts off.

If I manually start the truck using the start button (FOB in cab) and exit the cab with the FOB, AFAIK, the truck can be moved from Park and be driven until the tank is empty or the engine is shut off.

The FOB 'is out of the truck' reminder notification will ding constantly as soon as the FOB leaves the truck after a manual start and a notification appears on the EVIC.

I wonder if your 2017 truck's behavior was as I have described and if your '23 is the same.

And welcome to Ram Forum. :cool:

My 17 did constantly ding while fob was out of vehicle now the 23 sounds horn 3 times. I have found an article referencing a “KeySense” option that can be added along with a module by the dealer, then reprogram fob. I have showed it to dealer but they still say no such thing.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 17 did constantly ding while fob was out of vehicle now the 23 sounds horn 3 times. I have found an article referencing a “KeySense” option that can be added along with a module by the dealer, then reprogram fob. I have showed it to dealer but they still say no such thing.

And I'm guessing that your '17 would also release from Park unless you used a remote start, same as my '21.

It seems that the wonderful 3-chirps of the horn notification was new on some trucks in '22 and others in '23.

To the very best of my recollection, after participating in several threads pertaining to the 3-chirps annoyance, the final solution was;

1) Shut off the truck and remote start. This prevented the truck from being stolen and also prevented the 3-chirps of the horn.

2) Stash a spare FOB somewhere in the truck. This prevents the 3-chirps notification but could pose a security risk.

Plus, if your truck gets stolen and the authorities or insurance learn of the stashed FOB, you may have difficulties with any associated insurance payouts.

I know it may be inconvenient, illogical, and not what you want to hear but, the cheapest, easiest solution to accomplish your original posted request is option #1 above.

Or, leave the dog at home. :cool:

Any other potential workarounds such as installing a new module are likely to be costly and fraught with flakey performance grief because it's an add-on to the OEM design.

If you identify a product that can reliably provide this solution, please post a link with details because there are many others, like you, who would like this fix.

Please post a link to this 'keysense' article.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a comment (and I don’t know specifically about your truck) regarding keeping pets cool; most newer vehicles when remote started will time out and shut off again after some time.

I do not use remote start to keep my dogs cool.

The OP is searching for that magic solution that will have his truck perform exactly to his preference, as outlined in his first post.

I was presenting the options available without the magic fix and one of them would have been to use the remote start.

I believe my truck will shut off after 15 minutes. Why would anyone plan to leave their pet in the truck for that period of time?

Personally, I don't understand the need to leave animals in a truck ever unless something unexpected happens with your schedule or outing.

YMMV

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
fake snake
make it move some how
put it in the front seat

do vehicle thieves carry around FOB batteries ?

Hide a spare FOB, without a battery in it

Some one steals your vehicle, leave some trackable Ear Buds in your vehicle, you can track them down using your smart phone.
Seems everyone knows about people using Apple Air Tags.
So Ear Buds may work for a while

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Disconnect the Foot Brake switch under the dash board

You can't normally shift the vehicle, without having a foot on the Brake Pedal.

Many Tow Truck drivers don't know about the Transmission Bypass Switch

4th & 5th Gen Rams, are in the same location
only the 4th Gen Rams have the little slider thing, that he used the screwdriver on.
I think too many 4th Gen owners forgot about the little slider & broke the mechanism.

So true to form, Stellantis removed the little slider for the 5th Gens.
Stellantis always makes it easier on thieves

Last edited:

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
:party36: :welcome::party36: 2007 with tip start, and remote start times out in 15 minutes max, shuts off engine if brake pedal is depressed.
2.JPG