DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally got a chance to look at the truck and discovered that while the harness in the tailgate support a camera, the rest of the harness doesn't. I am missing everything from the tailgate forward.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I finally got a chance to look at the truck and discovered that while the harness in the tailgate support a camera, the rest of the harness doesn't. I am missing everything from the tailgate forward.
Glad you got a chance to look it over and figure it out. You may end up with extra parts from that kit since you already had some. See cptwing's thread since he listed specific P/N's from the kit)

Thanks to cptwing for listing the newer camera kit P/n for the RA2,RA3,RA4 Radios. I recall a while back that Ram was coming out with the kit but hadn't seen the new p/n listed until his thread and went to check the Official Ram Owners part site for the instructions (I was curious).

It looks like the new kit takes the same approach as the RA1/Express kit and goes straight from the Bottom Tailgate i550 connector to the back of the monitor (radio's C1 connector) and by-passes the i220 chassis connector behind the Frt/L wheel well which was a bit of a pia with Jeepguy's harness. There are a few minor spices for power under the hood, and for the turning lines at the BCM (near the brake pedal).

- Jeepguy really had the best solution since it used any existing wiring w/o removing it or using splices.

I went ahead and added the OEM instructions below as a reference to my earlier post.

Here are the current Ram/Chrysler OEM kit directions (and P/N's) for adding the factory Parkview Camera to 2013-2015 Ram Trucks depending on your Trim Level/radio i.e. Express/RA1 vs rest/RA2,RA3,RA4.

- PN 82213752 (RA1 Radios w/o RSP, adds Mirror as Monitor, i.e. Express)
$525 parts/$765 installed at dealership
K6861692 2013 Ram1500 ParkView Cam w Mirror Monitor noMic PN 82213752

- PN 82214240 (RA2, RA3, RA4 Radios as monitor)
$300 parts/$507 installed at dealership
K6862043 2013-2015 Ram Parkview Cam w RA2 RA3 RA4 Radio Monitor PN 82214240

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information, I ordered 82214240 and I believe you are right in that I will have some extra parts. I have a shop of those from all of the other projects I have done or am doing presently. Should make a great yard sale someday :)

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just reviewed the instructions, doesn't appear overly difficult but it is a bit involved. The instructions seem fairly detailed but until I am knee deep into it I will not know how difficult it actually is. I am a little concerned with taking the console trim ring off without breaking the tabs off of it.

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I received my wiring kit; now the fun begins. Anyone have any tips to removing (depopulating) some of the wires? I know there is a tool for it, just wondering if anyone had another method.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I received my wiring kit; now the fun begins. Anyone have any tips to removing (depopulating) some of the wires? I know there is a tool for it, just wondering if anyone had another method.

Good luck. A bit of patience is key. Using a small jewelers screwdriver and/or hobby knife or something similar to pop the housing lock points can get it done. Even though it may not apply to the OEM kit, take a look at/download Jeepguy's PDF directions in the OP just as a reference for the connectors. He had some good descriptions for getting some of these connectors apart. There are also a few close ups of some of the connectors in my earlier post and throughout the thread (if you want to dig) that may help.

And thanks to cptwing for sharing the rear radio connector and pins b/c I was able to locate the following under one of his links that may also help.

Radio Conn Series - ENG_SS_408-8690_A.pdf

If you run into problems, be specific about the connector and step you are on, perhaps post a picture/close up, etc, and hopefully someone can help you out.

Hopefully this doesn't seen out of line, but since you are using the Official kit from Ram, it may be better for you to post in cptwing's thread since that is what it specifically deals with ...

Last edited:

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used a small pick that is the size of a pocket screwdriver to depopulate pins. They come with some screw driver sets. This one has a bent end but the straight one will do also.

Attachments

• small pick.jpg
    small pick.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 83

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck. A bit of patience is key. Using a small jewelers screwdriver and/or hobby knife or something similar to pop the housing lock points can get it done. Even though it may not apply to the OEM kit, take a look at/download Jeepguy's PDF directions in the OP just as a reference for the connectors. He had some good descriptions for getting some of these connectors apart. There are also a few close ups of some of the connectors in my earlier post and throughout the thread (if you want to dig) that may help.

And thanks to cptwing for sharing the rear radio connector and pins b/c I was able to locate the following under one of his links that may also help.

Radio Conn Series - ENG_SS_408-8690_A.pdf

If you run into problems, be specific about the connector and step you are on, perhaps post a picture/close up, etc, and hopefully someone can help you out.

Hopefully this doesn't seen out of line, but since you are using the Official kit from Ram, it may be better for you to post in cptwing's thread since that is what it specifically deals with ...

Thanks for the information and I take no offense to your suggestion. This thread has a lot of information and it is where I started, however I will check out the other one.

txfirewarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Need help asap. So I have hooked everything up and when I turn the truck on the screen is black. No radio, nothing. I have checked the harness into the back of the radio with a volt meter and it is getting powet, but still a black screen. Any help??????

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Did you have the sales code added

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

txfirewarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yes, I had the XAC flashed yesterday and the radio worked yesterday and today. The screen would turn blue when I put it in reverse. Now the screen is only black and the radio won't turn on

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm sure pulling the pins back out from the radio harness will be a pain but I'd try that and see if the radio works as normal

txfirewarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I thought about that, and the instructions say to depopulate the three wires if they are plugged in. You think I should unhook the three I put in and plug those back in or just unplug and rebook?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'd try putting the original ones back in to start. Make sure everything works as it should. Double check the rest of the connections to make sure everything is correct then try again.

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was confusing for me to where the pins went until I saw an image I think that is earlier in this thread showing exactly where they go from the rear. The diagram in kit instructions made me think I had to depopulate some existing wires which was wrong. If you look at rear of connector it is the bottom 3 on left.

txfirewarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Nickster... Do you happen to know what order those ''top 3'' go? I have solid blue, solid grey, and blue with grey stripe. I am very confident the solid blue was in the corner but can't remember the next two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisphase10