DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a photo of mine before I added the camera pins. The camera pins go on bottom left looking from the rear as shown. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• rcsmall.jpg
    rcsmall.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 639

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It was confusing for me to where the pins went until I saw an image I think that is earlier in this thread showing exactly where they go from the rear. The diagram in kit instructions made me think I had to depopulate some existing wires which was wrong. If you look at rear of connector it is the bottom 3 on left.
NOTE: Be aware. I noticed that the Official 82214240 OEM Camera Add-On Kit's wiring color codes don't match jeepguy's color codes for his custom harnesses from this thread's OP and pictures, so it adds to the confusion.

Just follow the official add-on kit's directions and use the other stuff only as a reference.
Your certainly not the first or the last to mix these up. It would be nice if they referenced whether or not you're looking at the front or back of the connectors in the directions.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

Last edited:

txfirewarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
This is a photo of mine before I added the camera pins. The camera pins go on bottom left looking from the rear as shown. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your help and this image. I reconnected the wires as shown and the screen and camera came right no. No problems.

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you very much for your help and this image. I reconnected the wires as shown and the screen and camera came right no. No problems.

You're welcome.

If anyone out there that knows how to take the red face plate off of radio connector without breaking it please give advice. It might help others. I broke mine into 3 pieces. I snapped them back on even though they were broken without issue.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Last edited:

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe that is what I'm talking about. You have to remove it to depopulate pins correct? Thanks for the links. I may buy one and the next time I have my radio out I'll replace it.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
quick question,

i called my dealer asking about pricing for a rearview camera on a 14 1500 quad bighorn 4x4 hemi

they took my vin, called me back and said according to dodge my vin does not allow me to install a backup camera and it will not work if i tried to install one, and since its not advised by dodge for that VIN its incompatible they wont do any backup camera on my truck, regardless of full install by them or just flashing the ecu

am i getting the run around here? I fukn thought the backup camera can be added on to any car separately after it leaves the factory, onsite at the dealer or offsite etc, or am i mistaken and my vin has some different wiring harness that just wont let this work without other mods??????

whatever it is, i seem to freaked out 1 dealer nearby and since they have my vin alraedy they wont touch it for backup camera

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Simply put, your dealer doesn't know any better and Ram now has official kits for the trucks. You can have them install and flash it or you can buy and install it yourself and then take it in for them to flash the sales code to activate it ($50 - $135 depending on the dealer so shop around)...

2/9/15 Edit: from my earlier post
Here are the current Ram/Chrysler OEM kit directions (and P/N's) for adding the factory Parkview Camera to 2013-2015 Ram Trucks depending on your Trim Level/radio i.e. Express/RA1 vs rest/RA2,RA3,RA4. The directions for these OEM Kits are slightly different from the factory wiring/JeepGuy1980's harness (which duplicated the missing factory wires).

- PN 82213752 (RA1 Radios w/o RSP, adds Mirror as Monitor, i.e. Express)
$525 parts/$765 installed at dealership (sw Va)
K6861692 2013 Ram1500 ParkView Cam w Mirror Monitor noMic PN 82213752

- PN 82214240 (RA2, RA3, RA4 Radios as monitor)
$300 parts/$507 installed at dealership (sw Va)
K6862043 2013-2015 Ram Parkview Cam w RA2 RA3 RA4 Radio Monitor PN 82214240

As you see it depends on the radio you have. You can click the links and read the official directions to evaluate your skill level.

Please note:
- The op of this thread passed away and you can no longer get the custom harness he made prior to these kits being available (there is still a lot of good info, pictures, and detail here).

- If you decide to install the official kits, look at cptwing's "Installing OEM backup camera" thread for more accurate info:
Cptwing's - Installing OEM backup cam

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, the dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. You would "think" that they would but as evidenced throughout this forum this just isn't the case. If you want to know what is entailed, check out the thread Mpgrimm2 suggested, it should give you a pretty good idea. It isn't overly difficult but it is very time consuming and will challenge your resolve (assuming you want to do it yourself). I imagine it won't be cheap at the dealer with about $115 an hour shop rate.

ZMW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 3.6
Need help asap. So I have hooked everything up and when I turn the truck on the screen is black. No radio, nothing. I have checked the harness into the back of the radio with a volt meter and it is getting powet, but still a black screen. Any help??????

I am having the same issue! If I put the original 3 pins back in and the screen comes back to life (it is totally black and unresponsive now), where do you insert the 3 pins for the back up camera?

Do they go in the unused row, bottom right corner?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
- If you decide to install the official kits, look at cptwing's "Installing OEM backup camera" thread for more accurate info:

I'm on the road but there is a very good picture of the connector over there in the thread by me from the instructions. Real pictures too.

ZMW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 3.6
Have you looked at the other thread? There are some detailed pictures there.

I checked out the other thread, I put the original 3 pins in the original slots, and moved the 3 from the camera to 31, 32 ,33 and - winner! Thank you guys for your help!

RamBus II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello, all. I have a 2013 Ram Big Horn with the factory RA3 flashed with Nav. On to the ParkView upgrade. First, I had the dealer flash code XAC to activate the ParkView camera, which of course resulted in a blue screen in reverse. Then, I installed the new Tailgate Handle with Camera, along with the Tailgate Wire Harness P/N 68189124AB, which now results in a black screen instead of blue. Obviously, the camera is already talking to the RA3 to some extent. Could it be possible that if I simply swap in Camera Lock Jumper Harness P/N 68096415AC, my display will be fully functional in reverse??

campo57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, all. I have a 2013 Ram Big Horn with the factory RA3 flashed with Nav. On to the ParkView upgrade. First, I had the dealer flash code XAC to activate the ParkView camera, which of course resulted in a blue screen in reverse. Then, I installed the new Tailgate Handle with Camera, along with the Tailgate Wire Harness P/N 68189124AB, which now results in a black screen instead of blue. Obviously, the camera is already talking to the RA3 to some extent. Could it be possible that if I simply swap in Camera Lock Jumper Harness P/N 68096415AC, my display will be fully functional in reverse??
Once you get it working, can you let me know if you get the guidelines on the display?

Thanks,
Mike

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Did u see this post? Head over there and double check your pins. Many people seem to add the camera pins into the wrong pins in the connector, i.e. 180 degrees off.

I'm on the road but there is a very good picture of the connector over there in the thread by me from the instructions. Real pictures too.

Status
Not open for further replies.