DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
After doing some research, looking over schematic and connector specs, comparing aftermarket options, etc, I found myself on the trail you already blazed.
Well done.
I will definitely be contacting you for the harness to perform this add on to my 2013 Ram1500 SLT V6 4x4 Crew with UC 5.0 that I bought new last week. Perhaps we can get the "SLT" version confirmed. I'm out in Roanoke Va and have not pulled a vehicle apart for A/V work in about 10 years but my tron-fu is still strong (Manufacturing Electronic Tech, former USN AT1).

Here is my VIN if you want to check: 1C6RR7LG0DS591091
(Didn't see an ordering option for SLT)

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

I removed the SLT option for 2013 because VINs I have been given by guys saying they have SLTs have different wiring.

I looked up your VIN and you can safely order a Big Horn harness. It will work on your truck.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

salsa13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500HD
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm not sure you can confirm my findings with a picture. From what I can tell, the white connector behind your ebrake is going to your mirror. So you would have to re-pin that connector.

If you buy a full harness from me, and don't need the radio harness, I will give you a partial refund if you send the unused /uneeded portion back.

Thanks for the info JeepGuy. I am trying to order the harness on your website but it says it is out of stock. Specifically, it says: "Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock!"

Am I on the right web site?
2014 2500 HD (Crew cab diesel)
- Year: 2014
- Radio Type: RA4 (8.4AN)
- Trim Level: Outdoorsman
- VIN: 3C6UR5DL5EG151791

Standing by.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the info JeepGuy. I am trying to order the harness on your website but it says it is out of stock. Specifically, it says: "Products marked with *** are not available in the desired quantity or not in stock!"

Am I on the right web site?
2014 2500 HD (Crew cab diesel)
- Year: 2014
- Radio Type: RA4 (8.4AN)
- Trim Level: Outdoorsman
- VIN: 3C6UR5DL5EG151791

Standing by.

I'm out of town for a few days. I'll list more inventory late Thursday.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I removed the SLT option for 2013 because VINs I have been given by guys saying they have SLTs have different wiring.

I looked up your VIN and you can safely order a Big Horn harness. It will work on your truck.

Do you mean the "Long Horn" harness? Big Horn is not an option in the drop down to order.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you mean the "Long Horn" harness? Big Horn is not an option in the drop down to order.

Everything is out of stock right now, until tomorrow evening. But it will show the Big Horn when I re-post the kit.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
While looking through schematics for my particular SLT trim level, it looks like my truck has the Camera/Lock Harness (I550 to I551) already in the tailgate and that all I would need is the two custom harnesses (I550 to I220 and I315 to Radio) and tailgate camera. Does that sound correct?
(Ordered the AllmoparParts kit anyway).

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
While looking through schematics for my particular SLT trim level, it looks like my truck has the Camera/Lock Harness (I550 to I551) already in the tailgate and that all I would need is the two custom harnesses (I550 to I220 and I315 to Radio) and tailgate camera. Does that sound correct?
(Ordered the AllmoparParts kit anyway).

You have one of the two harnesses in the tailgate. The AllMoparParts.com kit invoices the second harness.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to give a huge thank you to jeepguy. While rushing to install my harness (USPS turned 2 day shipping into 5!) I accidentally broke off one of the pins. I looked around at a few stores that I thought might have some with no luck. So I emailed jeepguy and asked if he knew where I could pick one up at. He said no but told me he could 2-day me another one. I get the package and he included 3 pins and one already crimped to a wire because they are easy to break without the proper crimper. New pin on and wala, a factory looking camera.
Not only did he send me what I needed plus some just in case, he did it all at no charge.

Once again, thank you jeepguy!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I will definitely be contacting you for the harness to perform this add on to my 2013 Ram1500 SLT V6 4x4 Crew with UC 5.0 that I bought new last week. Perhaps we can get the "SLT" version confirmed. I'm out in Roanoke Va and have not pulled a vehicle apart for A/V work in about 10 years but my tron-fu is still strong (Manufacturing Electronic Tech, former USN AT1).

Here is my VIN if you want to check: 1C6RR7LG0DS591091
(Didn't see an ordering option for SLT)

Thanks for the info. Ordered the OEM Camera parts the other day and the custom Big Horn harness just now. Can't wait to do this! If there is anything you need me to verify while I am in there just let me know.

Q: Does your harness come with "wire Loom" over it?
Q: If not, can you tell me the individual length off both harness so that I can order some?

Thanks.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the info. Ordered the OEM Camera parts the other day and the custom Big Horn harness just now. Can't wait to do this! If there is anything you need me to verify while I am in there just let me know.

Q: Does your harness come with "wire Loom" over it?
Q: If not, can you tell me the individual length off both harness so that I can order some?

Thanks.

Everything comes loomed now. The directions are a bit old. Make sure you use the PDF on Ramharness.com.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Everything comes loomed now. The directions are a bit old. Make sure you use the PDF on Ramharness.com.
Thanks for the heads up. Any thoughts about adding a color coded schematic for the harness at the end of the directions as a reference? It might help avoid some confusion with some of the connector pinouts. Helped me when looking over the directions

cheapskate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
stupid questions I guess

long time dodge owner..first time ram owner....Really wanted the park view camera because of wife's neck problems. Have it on the journey we are trading in and works fabulously. However, wasn't inclined to wait or spend ridiculous amounts of money to get one with it already installed as the only ones available our area are the big horn, outdoorsman and higher end models. I take it from reading on this thread that the 2014 st is still iffy as to whether or not it works but here is my question. Asked the dealer and they said they can get one for the rear view mirror which i guess is better than nothing but i mentioned that it should be able to go through the 5.0 radio with a proper flash. That is when i got the dumbfounded looks. Is it possible that they had no idea how to flash the radio so that the camera would in essence be turned on??

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I had to send this to my dealer because of the same dumb founded looks:

Here is my understanding of the options for my particular 2013 Ram 1500 SLT V6 Crew Cab 4x4 w/UC 5.0 (RA2).
VIN:

1) Official OEM Tailgate Camera displayed on the factory Uconnect 5.0 Radio’s Screen with “Grid Lines” that follow the steering wheel. (PREFERRED)
- Req’s the following minimum parts. Camera: 56038978AE, Tailgate Handle: 68197873AA, Camera/Lock Harness: 68189124AB.
- Likely cannot be installed by dealership due to missing “harness” wires for camera between the tailgate connector, the C5/E chassis body connector, and the back of the radio connector.
- OEM Harness between tailgate and cab may not exist from Chrysler for this option vs. aftermarket?
- UC 5.0 supports the feature after sales code “XAC” (Park View Rear Camera) is flashed.
- This option is likely not available for the SLT Trim Level.

2) Official OEM Tailgate Camera displayed on replacement Rear View Mirror Display with “Grid Lines” that follow the steering wheel (K6861692, Can’t find the P/N for the kit at the moment).
- This option requires the “RSP” (Uconnect Voice Command w/BT) sales code to be removed, as well as the current dual microphone mirror and breaks the the BT calling functions of the radio.
- When sales code “XAC” is flashed, the UC 5.0 will likely display a “blue” screen when in reverse since the camera is actually displayed on the mirror.
- This option is likely not available for the SLT trim level.

3) Aftermarket Tailgate Camera (i.e. Echomaster) displayed on the factory Uconnect 5.0 Radio’s Screen with fixed “Grid Lines”.
- Installed by local audio/video shop, i.e. Audiotronics
- Requires aftermarket harness between tailgate and cab.
- Still requires sales code “XAC” to be flashed.

If Ram actually came out with a dealer camera add on kit for the SLT with UC 5.0, I haven’t seen anything mentioned. It sounds like Chrysler standardized the harnesses on the 2014’s to avoid some of these issues between the various trim levels. Please check this with your tech’s and let me know if I have this correct.

They basically confirmed the above on my 2013 ($50 to flash "XAC") and I committed to doing the option 1 mod myself to get "correct" functionality (with JeepGuy1980's kit and OEM parts). Actually installed the camera/handle in the tailgate last night (20 mins) just waiting on JeepGuy's harness which appears to be on the way.

Since you have a 2014 ST with Uconnect 5.0 (you bought it? ), you may be in the same boat, but if you post the details for your truck (Year, Model, Trim, VIN, etc) JeepGuy1980 should be able to confirm everything.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
long time dodge owner..first time ram owner....Really wanted the park view camera because of wife's neck problems. Have it on the journey we are trading in and works fabulously. However, wasn't inclined to wait or spend ridiculous amounts of money to get one with it already installed as the only ones available our area are the big horn, outdoorsman and higher end models. I take it from reading on this thread that the 2014 st is still iffy as to whether or not it works but here is my question. Asked the dealer and they said they can get one for the rear view mirror which i guess is better than nothing but i mentioned that it should be able to go through the 5.0 radio with a proper flash. That is when i got the dumbfounded looks. Is it possible that they had no idea how to flash the radio so that the camera would in essence be turned on??

All trucks with the 5.0 radio or better can add the camera. All 2014s can add it with the standard harness.

It's only the 2013 lower trim level trucks that require the more difficult harness.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
All trucks with the 5.0 radio or better can add the camera. All 2014s can add it with the standard harness.
Just to clarify for my own curiosity, do all 2014’s have the full camera wiring from the factory or do you mean that it still requires a custom harness?
(I noticed in the TechAuthority site that there isn't a trim level option when looking at 2014 schematics).

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just to clarify for my own curiosity, do all 2014’s have the full camera wiring from the factory or do you mean that it still requires a custom harness?
(I noticed in the TechAuthority site that there isn't a trim level option when looking at 2014 schematics).

They all have the same wiring that the 2013 SLT, Big Horn, Sport, and higher trim levels have.

They still require a custom harness, but not the 2013 Express, and Tradesman harness.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
They all have the same wiring that the 2013 SLT, Big Horn, Sport, and higher trim levels have.

They still require a custom harness, but not the 2013 Express, and Tradesman harness.

Please PM me the info I need to send you for my 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew Cab with 6.4L HEMI to do the cam install. Thanks btw for all the great stuff you do for us.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

cheapskate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
due to the fact that my wife is going to be doing a lot of the driving of this vehicle and has been used to the backup cam in the 2010 journey that we are getting rid of (and by the way good riddance) I would really like to add this option to the truck and would prefer the factory look. Would have ordered it with the truck (2014 ram) but due to sales promotions and advantage plan pricing I got 14k off of the msrp and couldn't have touched that price if I were to order it. Anyone long story short I asked the dealership service manager about installing and they basically gave me the blank dumbfounded stare. I gave them the printed instructions even how to update/turn on camera but they say that the connect 5.0 radio will not work as I need the larger screen. from what I have read this is a bunch of hooey and need someone to confirm whether this is or isn't the case.

I am not the handiest person in the world but thanks to jeep guy's instructions I am fairly confident that I can handle the install but I need to know if the radio will handle it.

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
due to the fact that my wife is going to be doing a lot of the driving of this vehicle and has been used to the backup cam in the 2010 journey that we are getting rid of (and by the way good riddance) I would really like to add this option to the truck and would prefer the factory look. Would have ordered it with the truck (2014 ram) but due to sales promotions and advantage plan pricing I got 14k off of the msrp and couldn't have touched that price if I were to order it. Anyone long story short I asked the dealership service manager about installing and they basically gave me the blank dumbfounded stare. I gave them the printed instructions even how to update/turn on camera but they say that the connect 5.0 radio will not work as I need the larger screen. from what I have read this is a bunch of hooey and need someone to confirm whether this is or isn't the case.

I am not the handiest person in the world but thanks to jeep guy's instructions I am fairly confident that I can handle the install but I need to know if the radio will handle it.

This image pretty much says it all.

UConnect_50_3-768x768r.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDFJNC