DIY: 4th Generation Under Hood Light Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This morning I installed the OEM under hood light. This will make it easier to see at night when I need to check something on the engine.

Parts Required for this install.

68018176AB WIRING. Jumper. Under Hood Lamp
56021441 LAMP. Underhood
OEM style body push connector. (The little black push connectors used to hold things to the truck. I got a two pack at O'reilly's for $2)

Tools required for this install.
Thin standard screwdriver

The location for the underhood lamp is the rectangular hole in the hood's insulation.
20150102_104218_zpsr8uit9ua.jpg

First find your trucks wiring connector for the under hood lamp.
20150101_135207_zps876761b9.jpg

Push the red plug lock back with the blade of the screwdriver, remove the plug and connect the wiring jumper into the harness. Don't forget to close the red lock back into position.

There is a flap on the passenger side of the insulation that you can pull down to get to the underside of the insulation.

Push the connector you get from the auto parts store through the back plate of the light and install it with the wire connector coming out of the lamp towards the front of the truck. This will ensure that the gravity switch in the light functions correctly.
20150102_104833_zpstnow5ouw.jpg

Then push the holders for the wiring harness through the holes on the hood support so that the wiring won't shift around while driving.
20150102_104842_zpsehf1er08.jpg
I found that there was more than enough length to the wiring harness so that I was able to curl it under and tuck it up.

Once you are happy with the position of the wiring tuck the insulation flap back under it's holder and enjoy your new lamp.
20150102_104815_zps8aqu57eo.jpg

Over all this was a cheap and easy upgrade that took me about 5 minute to complete. Overall cost was $43 total.

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone else does this, see if m07 recall parts are still available. It is a kit with everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If anyone else does this, see if m07 recall parts are still available. It is a kit with everything you need.

Do you have a part number or any more info than M07? Is it a recall for Ram trucks? Any more details?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will try and find a part number. It was a recall on some 2011 rams that for some reason didn't get an under hood light of glovebox light when they were supposed to. It is a little kit with everything needed.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
**Clarify this part.**
May I suggest, rather than,

Push the red plug lock out with the blade of the screwdriver, remove the plug and connect the wiring jumper into the harness.

You instead say,

Pry red connector lock back with screwdriver just enough to release the dummy plug. Remove dummy plug.

It's the internet, some idiot somewhere's gonna read that bit and end up breaking off the red connector lock and come trying to sue you/us. ;)

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's the internet, some idiot somewhere's gonna read that bit and end up breaking off the red connector lock and come trying to sue you/us. ;)

If they've got change for a dollar we can settle out of court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joel29m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought all of the rams came with light installed since this is something that was standard in vehicles back then and the fact that my truck already have it.

MPG LOL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah mine don't have it as a 2014 express. The recall thing did exist last I checked but the guy at the parts counter said I couldn't order the recall part. Had to order the original parts. Ahole lol

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought all of the rams came with light installed since this is something that was standard in vehicles back then and the fact that my truck already have it.

My 2010 doesn't have it. Ordered the part after seeing this thread and should have mine Monday.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah mine don't have it as a 2014 express. The recall thing did exist last I checked but the guy at the parts counter said I couldn't order the recall part. Had to order the original parts. Ahole lol

I just ordered one the other day. $9. There is no reason you can't buy recall parts.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Didn't come stock on my Tradesman. Just installed one, though.

I wish I'd seen this thread before I started. The stupid instructions that came with it didn't even hint that you had to install it "upside down" with the electrical connection facing up (forward), before looping back down and locking into one of the holes in the underside of the hood.

:)flipthebird: to the writers of the instructions, which had NO pictures or even diagrams) :)

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
:)flipthebird: to the writers of the instructions, which had NO pictures or even diagrams) :)
LOL I didn't even have instructions.
I just plugged in the light and played with it for a minute to see how it worked.

DrkRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 crew cab Night Edition
Engine
5.7 hemi
just wondering if you ever got your seat heaters installed?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up!

My To Do list just got longer. ;)