DIY port and polish TB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UNBROKEN

I like your description of flow characteristics. It would be fantastic to dimple the throttle body and intake like a golf ball. Then the effect on the flow would drastically increase because of the release of tension on the surfaces.

Who would think so much technology goes into making a golf ball.

Paul

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Very nice, I agree with the guy ^ matching the TB and intake will gain you a couple more just for the effort.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I'm about to catch a flight so I don't have time to go into an in depth explanation.
I think we're misconstruing the word "rough" to mean something it's not.
An easy analogy is the surface finish on a head or block for the head gasket.
The roughness...or smoothness...is measured in microinches Ra.
It's a measurement of how rough the surface is.
Any finish beyond a pure mirror polished finish has a measurement. Actually...so does the mirror polished finish.
ANY roughness, texture or whatever you wanna call it can be measured. Carbs are very smooth to the touch, but they can still be measured in RA and are not "polished"

When we're talking about rough here we're not talking about digging into it with an 80 grit grinding disc.

I hope that clarifies things to the OP a little bit...although I think he already understood it considering his original pics and the surface finish left on the parts.

To the point about carbs...which would translate all the way down the line to the bore, i take runners and intake passages in the heads.
The build would dictate the finish desired. A WOT full tilt race motor would be better suited to polished finishes. Street motors would be an Ra around 60-80 I suppose.
The reason is the highly polished finish actually attracts fuel droplets and makes fuel fallout worse. On a race motor nobody cares. On a low speed air street motor a finished surface helps the air and fuel stay in suspension and get to the cylinder with less fall out and puddling.
I'm not real sure why carbs were brought up since they dont really relate to our direct injected motors...just thought I'd clarify the differences since the comparison was made.

And FWIW my Stage 2 ported intake manifold from Modern Muscle has a "rough" finish inside...as it should.

Finally....allllllll the way back to where we started. Polishing it won't hurt a thing, it just won't help a thing either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I do understand. After is smooth to the touch of running your finger across it you won't get any more performance from smoothing/polishing past that.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
ven·tu·ri
/venˈto͝orē/
Noun
A short piece of narrow tube between wider sections for measuring flow rate or exerting suction.

Our TB's are venturi like for sure....nobody disputes that.

575845_10200226950096109_1136043202_n.jpg

This thread is about boring and surface finish though...which applies to every single part of the intake tract from the air filter to the valves....no matter what name we give the individual pieces.

I'm not here to **** people off....but I will clarify information to the best of my ability to stop misinformation.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great stuff in here! Had no idea this was something someone could tackle without being a professional. Thanks guys!

Me either lol. I just went at it in hopes I didn't jack it up.

I'm going to redo it today and go as close as I can to the blade and go a little bigger.

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I think we're misconstruing the word "rough" to mean something it's not.
Finally....all the way back to where we started. Polishing it won't hurt a thing, it just won't help a thing either.

Polishing along with all the different sanding grits in a sequential process to get something as most humans describe as pretty, shiny, clean, best flowing... Benefits are too slim to claim outside of a big gash or bad alter, but the drag, friction left from the detail of porting without polishing could be argued all day by different views. In the end, perfect is perfect but still different for different people.

:beatdeadhorse5:

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update.

After 10 months and 30k miles it hasn't giving me any issues.
In fact after a 100 miles or so is got better.
All in all I'm very happy with it.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great thread! I wish I knew this before I bought my 87mm. Lol. Mind you I still have my stock TB! :) It has gotten better because your PCM has adapted to the extra air flow.
Great job!

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question..... I have my 2012 for about 2 years now...16k miles.... I'm debating if I should just remove my Tb and just clean it up a bit....so there any solution that I can use, or should I not worry about it since I have 16k miles? I just want to make sure I'm running at peak efficiency. I haven't made any engine mods and so far the only important thing I did to my truck is change the oil to red line and using rp oil filter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How does this porting do any good for performance gains? If the smallest port in the TB is 80mm will it really matter how big the port is before and after? That is assuming, of course, there is no lip at either end. It seems the smallest area, where the butterfly is, would have to open larger to see any real gains at all. The knife edging of the bar looks promising though. I may be way off, but seems like a waste without larger sizes all the way through. Help me out here guys because I want to do this mod, but dont understand the positive to it.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great thread! I wish I knew this before I bought my 87mm. Lol. Mind you I still have my stock TB! :) It has gotten better because your PCM has adapted to the extra air flow.
Great job!

Fact; aftermarket PTB's LOVE wetsand paper, polishing compound a good knife edge and a port matching :naughty:

Attachments

• Polished TB.jpg
    Polished TB.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 65

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Where are u located? It's a 1 day job. I'm always up for meeting new RM folks.