DIY port and polish TB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Any info on this? How does this really help if the smallest size is still 80mm then it wont flow any more air than it did will it? It seems the blade would have to be changed for a larger one and the TB ported all the way through to see any gains. I do like the idea of cutting the shaft and do see how that could affect things at WOT. Just trying to understand the thought process and why it would work or not work.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
With our engines we are less worried about additional volume as much as we are looking for enhanced velocity. The stock TB can physically flow enough air to feed a 392 engine, so your 345/349 is just fine with an 80mm butterfly. All the porting does is create a better transition between the intake tube and the intake manifold. The best inlet taper would be matched perfectly to the inside diameter of the inlet tube, but that's very difficult to do as you'd have a razor sharp leading edge that would create lots of issues on installation of parts or would knick, gouge, and deform easily. It's easier on the outlet as you just have to match diameters and ensure that installation is done properly so there is no lip.

Larger displacement engines or boosted engines will benefit from a larger diameter true-bore TB, but they can have detrimental effects on a stock/bolt-on engine as there is a lower intake velocity and can realy affect the low end.

Last edited:

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
With our engines we are less worried about additional volume as much as we are looking for enhanced velocity. The stock TB can physically flow enough air to feed a 392 engine, so your 345/349 is just fine with an 80mm butterfly. All the porting does is create a better transition between the intake tube and the intake manifold. The best inlet taper would be matched perfectly to the inside diameter of the inlet tube, but that's very difficult to do as you'd have a razor sharp leading edge that would create lots of issues on installation of parts or would knick, gouge, and deform easily. It's easier on the outlet as you just have to match diameters and ensure that installation is done properly so there is no lip.

Gotcha...velocity over volume. I guess I could see where that could help some. So, going to an 85mm TB is a waste of time/money except for it possibly being matched better to the intake and to the inlet diameters?

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL I see that, but it's an awfu;;y big province.:roflsquared:

Lmao...I'm on my iPad and it doesn't show me where everyone is. I'm in Cardston. Waaaay down south. 20mins to Montana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

moparbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7l
i am too scared of screwing stuff up to try that. The world needs people like you

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone has a spare TB and want it done ill do it for no charge just pay shipping