DIY sparkplug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone. I need some advice on my 2011 dodge ram v6 4.7 I had bought it back in 2018 with 76,000 miles. It now has 97,000 miles. From reading the carfax report, the original owner never changed or had the sparkplugs changed. The Hanes repair book says u change the 4 Intake (upper) sparkplugs only, at 45,000 miles which are the Fr9 Te2's and gap them at 0.039 thousands and then wait till u reach 95,000 miles to change the exhaust (lower) 4 which r a different plug Fr8 T1332 (both plugs being bosch) My question is, can I change all 8 plugs at the same time? Or will that screw the engine up? Since the original owner to my truck never changed the plugs. I just don't want to screw anything up. Any advice would be very appreciated, Thank you.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will have no problems or screw anything up changing all of the plugs now. Just make a note of the replacement so you know when to change the intake plugs the next time.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi everyone. I need some advice on my 2011 dodge ram v6 4.7 I had bought it back in 2018 with 76,000 miles. It now has 97,000 miles. From reading the carfax report, the original owner never changed or had the sparkplugs changed. The Hanes repair book says u change the 4 Intake (upper) sparkplugs only, at 45,000 miles which are the Fr9 Te2's and gap them at 0.039 thousands and then wait till u reach 95,000 miles to change the exhaust (lower) 4 which r a different plug Fr8 T1332 (both plugs being bosch) My question is, can I change all 8 plugs at the same time? Or will that screw the engine up? Since the original owner to my truck never changed the plugs. I just don't want to screw anything up. Any advice would be very appreciated, Thank you.
You'll need a thinwall plug socket to change the plugs on a 4.7.Alot of standard plug sockets won't fit in the plug tubes,but it if you're artistic with a grinder,you can usually grind one down enough to fit,if you don't have a thinwall plug socket.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
5/8" thin-wall 12 point socket. Applications include Dodge 4. 7 V8 engines.

Socket, 5/8" x 12-Pt x 6"

Snap-on has an outside diameter of .865" which allows it to fit into the plug tubes.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You actually have 16 spark plugs on that one. I just did them on my 12.
I have a snap on socket that worked fine.
It is magnetic to hold the plug in the socket instead of having that rubber insert, I have had trouble with the rubber insert style letting go of the plug once the new one is screwed in on other engines that the plugs are down in a long tube like the topside plugs on a 4.7 are. I work on alot of Ford's at work+too many) that the plugs are down in a tube like yours are. So I had the right tools already because of that.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1 more thing. But the boots that go on the coils and a set of wires before you start. The coils sometimes come off without the boots and you will play **** digging them out with long needle nose pliers and a pick so you can even get a socket on them. I spent 1-1/2 hours on just that for the boots on cyls 4&6 on mine. And that's even considered that the top set had been changed some time before I got it, as dodge never used crappy Bosch "Super" plugs in them from the factory. You wanna talk about some crappy plugs. Those were the 69 cent specials back when I worked part time at AutoZone (was a 2nd job for me at the time)

OP
OP
fourpoint7

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll need a thinwall plug socket to change the plugs on a 4.7.Alot of standard plug sockets won't fit in the plug tubes,but it if you're artistic with a grinder,you can usually grind one down enough to fit,if you don't have a thinwall plug socket.

OP
OP
fourpoint7

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ty for the info. I really appreciate it. Please forgive me as I'm still leaning how to navigate on this fourm. The thin wall socket I can make or buy which ever is fine. I was going to see what plugs the original owner has in it first. I was told to stay with Iridium plugs. Now I just need to rob my piggy bank, they say iridium plugs will set u back a couple bucks especially if I need 16 plugs. Plus other members on here suggest buying new boots and wires also. I'm going up to Saugatuck Michigan this July on vacation with my girl and need my truck to get decent gas mileage or better gas mileage than what it is now.

OP
OP
fourpoint7

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So much to remember on these new vehicles, cant we go back to the days we used a timing light? - lol. I grew up driving a 1965 chevy Belair, had the 283cu in small -v8. I always gapped the points at 0.25 thousands. That car had more trunk than car-lol. Anyway, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'm planning a vacation up to sagituck Michigan this July and don't need any problems with my truck.