DIY: Tranny Line Pressure Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't know the SC3865, but if it has a TCM tuner built into it, then it is doing the exact same thing as the Mod would.

If the SC3865 does not have a TCM part, then yes you could benefit from this mod.

scribbleheli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 2500
Engine
5.7 HEMI
resurrecting a dead thread..

Anyone find a place I can get the OEM type connectors?
or what they would be called so I can search myself?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You can check with your dealer for repair pig tails. Typically a plug will run in the $12 to $16 dollar range on the lower end and $36 to $55 on the upper end. I've used various inline connectors to make my own connections using standard wiring technique's. Let us know what you find...

scribbleheli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 2500
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is there any way to see what the pressure is set at at any given time? I bought a OBD2 Bluetooth thing, i'm going to use with an app. It should be able to see similar data as a tuner such as the Diablo. Does anyone know what stock and boosted pressures are?
I was wondering since this only uses a resistor to alter a voltage signal. Would using a 2.5k potentiometer instead, run to the cab. If you could adjust the pressure on the fly essentially. I had the same idea with the IAT sensor mod, but parts on order haven't arrived. So I was curious if anyone else had tried something similar.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If you go outside the predetermined range the PCM/TCM will generate a DTC. When I ran the 545RFE I used the test connector with a sensor attached. It read on my AeroForce Interceptor gauge. This didn't last long with a sensor failure. I then replace the sensor with a TCI mechanical gauge and it has worked for more than a year.
These are not good pictures but gives you the idea of what I did. PM me if you are interested in buying the test fitting and gauge, I don't need it any longer.

img20120504000101.jpg
img20120504000121.jpg

Prospect62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are people still doing this? Has anyone had adverse effects as a result of constant increased line pressure?

I drive with tow/haul on a lot of the time because I like the way the truck performs in that mode. I assume this will give me a similar effect, minus certain other parameters.

I just don't want to damage my tranny, which is at the 112,000 mile mark.

ctorres1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
???
I know this thread is old. But is it possible to wire the resistor in with a switch to turn it on and off? Why can't the resistor just be on the hot side?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I know this thread is old. But is it possible to wire the resistor in with a switch to turn it on and off? Why can't the resistor just be on the hot side?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IMO, there is no reason to have a switch to turn it off. Wire it up and leave it. Read post #35 and you will see there are two designs. With one design in series. The key to saving the trans is to turn off the OD when passing and/or playing. If you have already tore up your trans I have 545, stage III VB and 2800 rpm Edge converter. All in good condition taken from my personal truck. PM me if interested..

ctorres1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
???
My Trans is fine. I only ask about the switch because it would make it possible to keep the smooth shift for normal driving and the firm shifts for when its needed. also maybe it would keep the trans from adapting since it wouldnt be using the resistor all the time. i was thinking maybe something like this.

Attachments

• line booster switch.jpg
    line booster switch.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 148

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
It's logical thinking, but just not necessary. It won't adapt.

Prospect62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are people still doing this? Has anyone had adverse effects as a result of constant increased line pressure?

I drive with tow/haul on a lot of the time because I like the way the truck performs in that mode. I assume this will give me a similar effect, minus certain other parameters.

I just don't want to damage my tranny, which is at the 112,000 mile mark.

Well I got my Sonnax. Did a little more research AFTER I bought it which tends to indicate that the computer will adjust to the Sonnax and make it useless after awhile. I have it in now and it's definitely noticeable. I like it, so we'll see how long it lasts.

I've been investigating a Superchips Flashpaq so the Sonnax's days may be numbered anyway.

Prospect62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got my Sonnax. Did a little more research AFTER I bought it which tends to indicate that the computer will adjust to the Sonnax and make it useless after awhile. I have it in now and it's definitely noticeable. I like it, so we'll see how long it lasts.

I've been investigating a Superchips Flashpaq so the Sonnax's days may be numbered anyway.

Almost two months later and the Sonnax is completely not noticeable. The computer has adjusted the line pressure and my shifts have gone completely back to normal. I'm not mad that I tried it, I'm glad I tried it and learned better how advanced our engine control computers really are. It worked for about a month of 5 mile per day commutes. While it was working it was firm and really cool. But it didn't last.

Just a follow-up for anyone considering spending money on the Sonnax - don't. Unless you're combining the Sonnax with a PCM tune of some kind, the OEM computer WILL adapt the line pressure making the Sonnax (or any other inline resistor mod) useless.

This is not opinion or guessing or reasoning. It's truth based on actual use.