DIY: Tranny Line Pressure Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well If the pressure in the tranny changes, which this mod does that, then yes it will retain some of the older pressures that the tranny taught itself untill It relearns the pressures for each gear.

Any easy way to speed this up is to take the positive and negative cables from the battery and touch them together, this resets the trucks computer and will reset the trannys pressure values as well.

Best thing to do when you sell or buy a car is to reset the computer, that way the car learns around the driver in a way.

Last edited:

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed this today in my truck. It really made a difference in the way the truck shifts. Very fast and firm. Not jerky or anything. Sometimes I couldn't even tell that it shifted except for the rpms changing. Not sure how it will do once the computer relearns, but for now it's excellent. Definitely recommend it.

L8r,

Kevin

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a long after review, it was giving me some issues with my shifting after a while. Decided to take it off because I was unhappy with how it started shifting.

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What issues was it giving you?

Thanks,

Kevin

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have yet to have any problems with mine. I don't drive my truck daily so that could be why, but no problems to report on mine yet.

L8r,

Kevin

OP
OP
OlDirtyJohn

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i dont have much knowledge on the 46re, but being as its a completely different tranny, i wouldnt try it.

jsmith180601

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how can u tell what transmission is in ur truck... I'd like to do this and I got a 2002 1500 with a 4.7

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Driver side of the transmission just above the pan about midway back there is a data plate.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If this is healthy for my tranny, I think I am going to order one of these

Fireshaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So a long after review, it was giving me some issues with my shifting after a while. Decided to take it off because I was unhappy with how it started shifting.

So how was the truck shifting?

I've been thinking about doing this mod. I was worried it would cause tranny issues in the long run with an elevated line pressure.

Anyone else have any transmission problems after doing this mod?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
It will prolong the Life of her as long as you stay outta 2nd gear prime. I would buy a sonnax in a heartbeat, but with the Transgo HD Shift Kit (and having an 03) I was able to disregard the instructions (do not use if your tuned "warning") and install a resistor as per instructions to boost line pressure and coupled with the TMR delete (03 only) and TCI 2600 stall (cause I Tow) the combo is perfect/ 04 and up this is a great mod especially with trans tuning which is not avail for an 03 so yes, best $80 Mod out there for the tranny! 160K hard Miles and tranny is perfect!

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I've used a version of this mod for almost 10 years and there have been no adverse effects. I wouldn't run without a LP booster. With that said there are two designs for the booster. First is the Transgo with the resister in parallel with the pressure sensor. The second is the Sonnex with a resistance in series with the sensor. IMO the Transgo is more sophisticated of the two as the amount of offset decreases as the pressure increases. The Sonnex just increases the offset by a certain amount whether high or low and there is no adjustment. Good luck..

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is this still a good mod if you have a TCM tune from Hemifever?

BigDreams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this thread is kind of dated, but thought I would ask anyway......

I was looking for some other parts and came across a little harness that does this sold specifically as this mod.

Is using this upgrade pointless if I were using the SC3865 "basic" transmission tunes or would it stack in addition to any SC3865 trans tunes? I'm not sure if I feel comfortable going in deep changing the transmission programing values. Anything over stock/factory settings that will improve the performance and life of the transmission are a plus in my book.

bossboy302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let the rest of us know...

Is it the Sonnex?

Last edited: