do i have np231D or np231HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stang1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v Cummins
just a quick post. i am going to rebuild my transfer case and need to know which rebuild kit to buy. my "equipment identification" tag says I have the "DHK TRANSFER CASE 231 -HD" but my actual transfer cases' tag says it's the np231D

i may be missing something but ill add a couple of photos. sorry if this is obvious and going past me.

thanks

IMG_9387.jpg

IMG_9389.PNG

OP
OP
S

stang1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v Cummins
well i’ve been searching around because this has really thrown me for a loop and i found an old thread about a similar problem.

link to thread: 231 HD or not HD?

basically there isn’t a “231D-HD” option in these trucks, the info on my glove box just weirdly says it’s a heavy duty.

the information posted in that thread if for 94-96 trucks and mines a 97. i’m sure that they are very similar.

i belive that 231d is the "heavy duty" option for these dakotas. the lighter option was a np231DLD

just thought i’d post this response in case anyone else gets confused by this.

also makes sense as to why i couldn’t find an “HD” rebuild kit lol... i’m just going to rebuild it with a standard kit online and see how it goes.

Theck4291

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
How did that rebuild go? I am about to jump into the same boat and was just curious.