Do I need UCAs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
So if I level my 2wd truck with 2.5" spacers do I need to change the UCAs as well? I know it will need an alignment but wasn't sure about the upper ball joint angle.

lordnikoncanon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You shouldn’t. Check the angle if it’s not al most flat you may need some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kernal Clink

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Thanks, didn't know what I needed to look for.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So if I level my 2wd truck with 2.5" spacers do I need to change the UCAs as well? I know it will need an alignment but wasn't sure about the upper ball joint angle.

You're removing 2.5 inches of suspension travel.

If you use aftermarket uca's they'll give you that suspension travel back.

OP
OP
Kernal Clink

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
You're removing 2.5 inches of suspension travel.

If you use aftermarket uca's they'll give you that suspension travel back.
Well my truck is a pavement princess so I won't ever know the difference. I just don't want to wear out the upper ball joints and be walking home.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Well my truck is a pavement princess so I won't ever know the difference. I just don't want to wear out the upper ball joints and be walking home.

You would have to repeatedly hit deep pot holes at speed to pop the upperball joints.

From your use you'll be fine with stock however the ride will be stiffer upfront.

If you want a smooth ride look at a spindle lift for 2wds or coilovers for 4wd

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
with 2.5" spacers you will pop your ball joints. Its not a matter of if, but when. It wasn't an issues on early 2012 and earlier rams because they used a more robust UCA. You are better off spending a little more and getting bilstein 5100 adjustables.

OP
OP
Kernal Clink

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Well the long term plan is a 4" spindle lift but at the moment I don't have the extra cash for it. The leveling spacers are just an inexpensive ($25) temporary fix for the factory ugliness. If I can make it a year or so then the lift will be going on. The truck is 2wd so the Bilsteins wont do it.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
sorry i skipped right over the part where you said it was 2wd. I have not seen threads from members with 2wd's reporting popped ball joints after a level.

Algunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Bilsteins for ride quality (including pavement) and zone UCAs for a peace of mind... you can try keeping your stock ones and they will work for awhile, but like someone else posted it is a matter of when they will pop (probably when you hit a pothole or something similar). I wouldnt invest in anything less than the zone UCAs because we've had people on hear pop they're mevotechs. It is worth the investment when leveled and especially if you ever put a lift kit on top of it