Do Not Buy Mopar Pre-Paid Oil Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Last year I took the offer from Mopar's site to prepay for 4 oil changes on my 6.7 Cummins. I already used two of them at the dealer and had no problem. This morning I am in an argument with another dealer, and Mopar because the dealer is telling me they want $140 for the oil change. I told the service writer I prepaid. She says that doesn't cover it because your prepaid is only valued at $70 and we charge $140.

I tell her just do the work and I will straighten it out with Mopar.com.
So I call and the rep tries to tell me the dealer is independent and they can charge whatever they want.
I tell her no, Mopar would have an agreement with them if they are selling these oil changes, that they do the oil changes for a set price. I had two done at another dealer already and they didn't tell they weren't covered. The only thing I had to pay at the other dealer was for "shop charges" which is disposal etc. That was like $15.

So after three calls to Mopar, I was cut off the first two, the third says she has to switch me to a different dept. and the hold time is over 20 mins. Then she says she will call me back when she gets through. Sounds nice, but I am not holding my breath.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have gotten my oil changes done at my purchasing dealer and tire rotations as well through pre-paid purchase and I have never had to pay anything additional period, nothing for shop supplies or anything. I got a lil coupon book I take with me to every change.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ugh.. That sucks.

About every dealer purchase I've done over the past 10yrs, in final steps of the process with the finance person, they try to sell me pre-paid this and that after I've already had enough fighting off the extended warranty crap.

It's all about getting your balanced owed to a bigger number. I can't imagine financing oil changes, no matter what a "deal" they are.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I feel your pain and you are right. Have you contacted the original dealership where you bought the coupons? Maybe getting them to explain. Is there any fine print on these coupons?

While continually calling Mopar might only add to your frustrations. If you can keep that low, and calling them makes you feel better - then keep moving forward. Just have realistic expectations; they might not do a thing to help.

I'd say you might get better resolution with where you bought the coupons.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry you are having this problem. I had looked into this before, and looked again just now. I now read "...your preferred dealer..." and "... Participating dealers..." totally different. I hope you have success with your support request.

The fine print on contracts, and ambiguous language in sales offers, really makes it hard to know exactly what the offer really is, and it is often at the point of usage that the real deal is presented. While maybe a good deal, I just hate these kind of things so much that I never pre-pay for any service, and prefer to find coupons for what I need when I need it. Sometimes may end up paying full price, but not feeling taken advantage of is worth it

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
FYI - all dealers are independent from the manufacturer. They can charge what they want. If I purchased a oil change plans, I would expect it to be honored.

Why did you not use the previous dealer that didn't charge extra?

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ugh.. That sucks.

About every dealer purchase I've done over the past 10yrs, in final steps of the process with the finance person, they try to sell me pre-paid this and that after I've already had enough fighting off the extended warranty crap.

It's all about getting your balanced owed to a bigger number. I can't imagine financing oil changes, no matter what a "deal" they are.

Didn't pay when I bought the truck. I would never do that and finance it. This was an offer on Mopar.com. I bought and paid for them a year after I bought the truck.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well if the dealer is independent and not in any agreement with them, they indeed can charge whatever they want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So based on that, then when your tranny explodes at 10,000 miles you can take it to the dealer and they charge what they want to fix it.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
FYI - all dealers are independent from the manufacturer. They can charge what they want. If I purchased a oil change plans, I would expect it to be honored.

Why did you not use the previous dealer that didn't charge extra?

Previous dealer was horrible with service. I wouldn't let them touch my truck again.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I wouldn’t put cheap, most likely already used, dealer oil in my worst enemy’s lawnmower.

They unscrew and put the same filter on in a different orientation too. Good thing you don’t have spark plugs.

Haha!
Yeah I'm ready for that. I actually make a mark on my filters so I know if it has been changed or not.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I feel your pain and you are right. Have you contacted the original dealership where you bought the coupons? Maybe getting them to explain. Is there any fine print on these coupons?

While continually calling Mopar might only add to your frustrations. If you can keep that low, and calling them makes you feel better - then keep moving forward. Just have realistic expectations; they might not do a thing to help.

I'd say you might get better resolution with where you bought the coupons.

No coupons or individual dealers involved this was an offer through Mopar.com and it is attached to my VIN.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
OK. Update.

I have been on hold with 4th Mopar.com rep while I have been posting here and got a compromise. She said she would cover the oil change to $110 for this one and the one that is still left.
I figure that is fair since the first dealer charged me "shop supplies", so close.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Sorry you are having this problem. I had looked into this before, and looked again just now. I now read "...your preferred dealer..." and "... Participating dealers..." totally different. I hope you have success with your support request.

The fine print on contracts, and ambiguous language in sales offers, really makes it hard to know exactly what the offer really is, and it is often at the point of usage that the real deal is presented. While maybe a good deal, I just hate these kind of things so much that I never pre-pay for any service, and prefer to find coupons for what I need when I need it. Sometimes may end up paying full price, but not feeling taken advantage of is worth it

That's basically what I believe too. I figured since this was directly through Mopar and not some shady dealer it would be good.
How wrong I was.

I am not happy with this new dealer pulling this, however I took my truck there after a bad experience with the previous dealer. Had quite a conversation with their main diesel mechanic and had my confidence restored. Now I have to make sure to get past their service writers to get things done.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Haha!
Yeah I'm ready for that. I actually make a mark on my filters so I know if it has been changed or not.
I get dealerships wanting to save money and all. I have to call foul on this assumption. Dealerships are under constant pressure to preform. You really think, any shop would stay in business performing shady work. Come on...

Today's level of online feedback and such - people would not let that place stay in business. Maybe 30years ago - but not in the 21st century.

You might find an occasional mistake from any service. I'll bet a coke, you can't find any on purpose preforming shady maintenance.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used them since buying my truck new. I purchase them at the dealer I am getting the oil changes at. Not all the dealers offer it. A friend of mine has to drive to the next town over to get his under "the prepaid" offer. I would look at mopar.com and then look at their offers. If it's listed on their dealer paid, they should honor it (though charge for extra quarts used).

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
See now is about the time I would think that Ram Cares would jump in this thread, do a little damage control, and make everything better ... But when you figure that Ram Cares is actually a 22 year old girl thumbing thru the Abercrombie website lookin for that totally adorable top to wear this weekend, then I guess you can fan your a$$ with any hope for help from them ... Sorry ... Rant over ... Please continue ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the take away from this is the fact just u buy the plan it doesn't mean you get to use it.

Seems like a bad deal.

I will sell you a plan for $39 but it's only redeemable at participating shops.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
And people question why I am so cynical. The new vehicles continue to migrate toward unnecessarily complicated systems. Mostly to limit who can make replacement parts and who can perform maintenance.