Do you guys think sandbags really help in the winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Goodyear wrangler silent armours or cooper discoverer are well spotted and my silent armour do really well, just don't get cocky cuz you all of a sudden have better traction though lol

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Best thing i find that helps in the snow is "big toe driving." Accelerate slowly, brake early. Let all the other meat heads fly past you, they'll be the ones that end up in the ditch.

Four wheel drive and ground clearence are huge advantages. At my old job, half the people had cars, the rest of us had trucks. Any time we got a big dump of snow, the car drivers were always stuck having to shovel a path to get out of their parking spots whereas we truckers just putted right out.

Last year I had a set of used Goodyear Armortracs. The rears were okay but the fronts were shot. My straight line traction was good, but trying to steer through anything with those slicks was quite harrowing...

Got me a set of brand new Cooper AT3 on a Buy One Get One Free special at the local Theisens and they are doing much better so far. My dad has a set of BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain on his Ford F350 and he hasn't been too pleased. Yesterday, we both took loads to the dump and I had no problem getting through the lightly covered lot yet he was torquing his drives the whole way through. Granted, that V10 Triton has over 100 ft/lbs torque on my, but it also has +2,000 lbs of weight...

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
I carry two 50 buckets of car litter. My tires do most the work and the cat litter has been used more for others when I stop to help than for me in the bed. It's about confidence and what works for you.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When I had my 2wd Dakota, I had a set of dedicated snows for winter. No sandbags in the bag and I got around just fine. The right tire makes the difference.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
To reiterate. Well placed weight does help, but you may not need it where you live.

Canuck here, 4x4, good tires, and I live in a place that gets an obscene amount of snow.

A little weight behind the wheel wells, near the tailgate and even on both sides helps a ton. It gives you more traction for initial moving (in 4x4 or rear wheel). On the road it helps keep your back wheels planted on the ground to reduce slippage and side to side. If you do get into a spin the weight reduces your slip and helps right yourself back straight again.

Like it or not, weight helps. I keep a snow kit in the back that fills a deep box (tools, knife, first aid, flashlights, blanket, lighter, matches, pipes, shovel, tow straps, tie downs, pull out road sign). It weighs aprox 75 pounds. That goes on one side near the tailgate and bags of sand (aprox same weight) on the other side.

Winter ready and best chance at snow and ice driving. I need this for trips and ice fishing. Where you live you may not. Where I live we all have a kit and keep weight near the tailgate by the wheels, it is habit for most trucks and cars.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I use a board to hold them against the tailgate.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417271098002.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417271098002.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 26

MIKE177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in north Dakota for work and the locals told me sand in the bed does help because I was all over road trying to get up hills and the truck was braking loose. So I put 560 pounds on sand in the bed and it made a world of difference! And now my 3/4 ton rides like a Caddy.