Do you have to remove tail pipes when replacing muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question listed above.

Bought magniflow bolt on muffler andtheir instructions do not discuss removing tail pipes. I've watched 2 YouTube videos and those guys removed tail pipes completely from the truck.

I know the pipes slide together but wondering if pipes can slide back enough without removing.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had to when I installed mine. There simply isn't enough "wiggle" ability to pull them out of the muffler without removing all the hangers. You don't need to physically remove them, but you do need to pull them off the hangers.

OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to when I installed mine. There simply isn't enough "wiggle" ability to pull them out of the muffler without removing all the hangers. You don't need to physically remove them, but you do need to pull them off the hangers.
Ok, cool. Thanks. I will be doing this on my driveway and I would think physically removing the pipes would be a pain due to lack of ground clearance if angling ends down was needed.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just helped my buddy put my old proven ground muffler kit (similar to a magnaflow 14 inch)on his truck. His is a 2017, had to cut one of the tailpipes at the stock muffler. Honestly if I was doing it again I'd sawzall the stock tail pipes at as close to the muffler as possible and just take the clamps off the tail pipes once you remove them from underneath. It'll save you a lot of time versus fighting from under the truck. Took an hour to get off. Took 20 minutes to get it back together

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Grease the hangers with some pb blaster and use a big pair of channel locks like an exhaust hanger removal tool

OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: I installed the Magnaflow muffler and I did not remove tail pipes.

I raised the rear of the truck by driving up on two 2 x 10s under each back tire, I heated pipe to muffler connections very well with a propane torch, sprayed lube on all hangers, allowed pipes to completely cool, loosened muffler pipe fasteners, removed all rear hangers, then moved tail pipes up and down and side to side while pulling back on them. Pipes slid out pretty easily. Then did the same for the muffler. My truck is a 2019 and has never been driven on salted roads, so that may have made the job easier.

Thanks for the tips!