Do you like power deployable running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I leave them as they are, functioning and working as they should. If it's heavy and salty, I hit everything with a car wash pressure wand on rinse only.

Especially the hinge points.
I’m debating if I go for the amp upgraded ones with two motors as I live in Maine with snow and salt but also see they both have five year warranty so why pay almost 2k for extra motor?

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m also trying to figure out if it’s worth it to put some oem ones on I have the small screen ucomnect. Would it still show up on there if I had dealer install them I have Alfa so I could probably enable it myself and not pay them. I like the idea of leaving them retracted to protect truck but seems like it would be annoying to have to stand on them if I got the Amps unless the amps allow you to control them as well with the plug n play setup.

Anyone have any takes on what ones are better?

Last edited:

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wanted to get AMP research boards for my '21 RAM that didn't come with steps, but the style I wanted (that had the bar that covered the pinch weld visible from the side of the truck) was only available for crew cab, not quad. From what I was told at the dealer near my house, they are very similar to the ones that come factory on those vehicles with the power steps. But any steps, retractable or not, will last a long time, if you take care of them. The ones that stay out can collect ice and snow in the winter for sure, mine do, but I just knock it off/loose when I am getting in my truck, and have not had an issue with slipping or falling due to that yet.

Pacifictime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm having AMP steps installed next week. Do aftermarket power steps hook up to the screen just like oem steps do? I would like to leave them down in tight parking lots.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I'm having AMP steps installed next week. Do aftermarket power steps hook up to the screen just like oem steps do? I would like to leave them down in tight parking lots.
Not aftermarket ones .... only the MOPAR ones ..

But the AMP steps you can keep them down at the parking lots by simply keep the weight of your foot on them when you close the doors , then they will think something is obstructing them and will stay down ....

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have had both types, honestly I find the power steps to be annoying. I would rather have the static steps. Like you the truck I located had them on it, so it is what it is.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I love my self deployed running boards and is one of the features my wife likes as well. My 2016 Ram had wheel to wheel boards, actually they were round with rubber steps at the door positions and at the rear to access the bed, but in the winter they would collect snow and ice and would become very slippery. The self deployed stay tucked against the body and do not collect the debris to make them slippery. One thing I've been curious about though, has anyone ever had any maintenance problems with theirs? I've contemplated spraying some sort of lubricant at the joints to prevent any kind of corrosion. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I love my self deployed running boards and is one of the features my wife likes as well. My 2016 Ram had wheel to wheel boards, actually they were round with rubber steps at the door positions and at the rear to access the bed, but in the winter they would collect snow and ice and would become very slippery. The self deployed stay tucked against the body and do not collect the debris to make them slippery. One thing I've been curious about though, has anyone ever had any maintenance problems with theirs? I've contemplated spraying some sort of lubricant at the joints to prevent any kind of corrosion. Any suggestions?
Use a silicone lubricant on the joints, I don't know if your step's motors are water sealed like RBPs are but just all the joints should be enough ...

TRK_GANG74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my Mopar deployable running boards.

1. They make the truck look cleaner.
2. They are angled when in the up position, they do not collect any debris. I had a 2018 Ram 1500 with wheel to wheel running boards and never used them to reach over the side of box to get anything, couldn't reach that far to begin with. Plus the winter time, they collect snow/ice.
3. The running boards have the safety feature to prevent anyone's foot from getting caught when going to the stowed position. My dog was standing on it when in the down position, I closed the door and it tried to stow in the up position but didn't because it sensed the weight and stopped.
4. The deployable running boards can be deployed to the down position through the Controls button on the touch screen vs. having to open the doors. They will stay deployed in the down position until you put the truck into gear or push the button on the screen to retract them. I do this every time I wash my truck.
5. I put splash/mud guards on my truck because those are more effective than running boards at protecting the rockers.

These are just my opinions and experiences. I think that you find that they are pretty well built and will work really well for you. I’m
I completely agree here and this is my first truck! Love mine. Don’t like the look of the stationary ones.