Do you like power deployable running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I’ve never had power steps but like you I thought it would be just something else to break and no rocker protection so I built my own slider’s super strong and cheap check my thread

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Have them on my Escalade, and like them on that. Have fixed side steps on the Ram. Really just a personal preference decision. At @ $1500 for an Amp set, I'd personally not do any serious offloading with them. They're steps, not rock guards :waytogo:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After 2.5 years and 3 sets of rear fender flares I changed mine to permanent steps. Zero protection from road debris and **** they put on winter roads here in NL. If I lived in southern US I would have them for sure.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
After 2.5 years and 3 sets of rear fender flares I changed mine to permanent steps. Zero protection from road debris and **** they put on winter roads here in NL. If I lived in southern US I would have them for sure.
Mud flaps? I have Gators on mine, and they do make a huge difference

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the IDEA of them however, I grew up in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. I have seen them break so often. Since the weather in certain places of Canada is cold with a lot of snow, they get caked with snow and frozen, then when the driver opens the door they cannot deploy and parts break. Leaving the owner to drive around with no running boards until it thaws... then they just hang there.
If I lived somewhere with no snow or that as a possibility, then ABSOLUTLY it would be top of my list. Very clean look and kind of bad ass when you open the door and they pop out.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I like the IDEA of them however, I grew up in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. I have seen them break so often. Since the weather in certain places of Canada is cold with a lot of snow, they get caked with snow and frozen, then when the driver opens the door they cannot deploy and parts break. Leaving the owner to drive around with no running boards until it thaws... then they just hang there.
If I lived somewhere with no snow or that as a possibility, then ABSOLUTLY it would be top of my list. Very clean look and kind of bad ass when you open the door and they pop out.
not here im in manitoba no issues with my deployable steps in fact i just washed the truck the other day in-40 c and they still deploy and retract. on the other hand the wifes jeep cherokee rear hatch didnt open had to force it lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This is one reason I don't like the AMP steps, they only have 1 motor compared to the 2 that RBP steps have ... I mean if you live in an area like I do you probably will never see all that snow and dirt, mud get in those motors , but I feel better knowing that 2 motors are moving these steps up and down ...

I have yet to hear anyone with RBP steps say they get stuck in the snow or after they come back from mudding all day long ... these RBP motors are strong as hell !

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well once I had mine removed and wheel to wheel installed I get an error message on the Evic "power steps unavailable, please have service" something like that. Anybody have any idea how to get rid of this message? I bought it back to the dealer and was told not possible to get rid of message in Canada. WTF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Well once I had mine removed and wheel to wheel installed I get an error message on the Evic "power steps unavailable, please have service" something like that. Anybody have any idea how to get rid of this message? I bought it back to the dealer and was told not possible to get rid of message in Canada. WTF
You "CAN" get it removed but you also have to use AlfaOBD and set the following to "NO"

Cust.Set.Menu 2: Automatic Slide Step CSM Present = NO

then set the following to "Not Enabled"

Cabin Net: PSSM Power Slide Step Module = "Not Enabled"

That will stop the message from showing up ...

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You "CAN" get it removed but you also have to use AlfaOBD and set the following to "NO"

Thanks CheechDogg, I'll have to purchase an Alfa OBD reader. I'll report when I solve the issue

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mud flaps? I have Gators on mine, and they do make a huge difference
I installed Husky mud flaps after first set of fender flares being replaced, and they hang low enough to protect but my truck is a crew with 6.4 bed and the 7 inches extra in length makes a difference. I've checked dealer lots and the Crew 5.7 bed trucks don't seem to be damaged like mine.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I installed Husky mud flaps after first set of fender flares being replaced, and they hang low enough to protect but my truck is a crew with 6.4 bed and the 7 inches extra in length makes a difference. I've checked dealer lots and the Crew 5.7 bed trucks don't seem to be damaged like mine.
Hmmm, Ive got a 6.4 bed as well :33:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Update: I got rid of the message today, went into settings, saftey, side steps and checked "store" instead of Auto. Message gone

Maui Time

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My son installed a set of AMP powered running boards on my 2022 PW yesterday. My wife who has had 3 knee replacements (yes, 3) loves them. I don't care what bad happens with them... they rock!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.JPG
    imagejpeg_0.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 19
  • imagejpeg_0.JPG
    imagejpeg_0.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 19

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
My son installed a set of AMP powered running boards on my 2022 PW yesterday. My wife who has had 3 knee replacements (yes, 3) loves them. I don't care what bad happens with them... they rock!
love the color

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine are sitting in the garage and I may re-install when I get rid of the truck. The environment here where I live is too harsh and the **** they put on the roads is like sand blasting material.

NRose

Reaction score
Ram Year
multiple
Engine
Hemi
Another vote for AMP. Once you have them you will never go back.
I protect mine with full size mud flaps by DuraFlap

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I was pretty sure I wouldn't like having power steps until the first time I used them. Now I'm a big fan of them. They are actually at a usable height. And unlike many fixed steps, I don't have to turn my foot just right to use them. Then there's the added benefit of using them to help minimize door dings by raising my truck to off-road 2 and deploying the steps. This doesn't protect against other trucks and SUV's, but the doors on most normal sized cars won't clear them, so the door will hit the step instead of the paint on my truck if your "parking lot neighbor" is careless when they open their car doors.
I absolutely LOVE this tip ! ! !

Been using this method in EVERY parking lot ... sadly I hadn't read this until after my first Door Ding ... but now that I've implemented this into an everyday practice, I've two marks on my Deployable Steps that would've certainly been door dings.

Thank you, thank you and thank you!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had a number of trucks over the years and countless amounts of different steps. I just installed the amp power steps on my 2022 3500 and man they are nice.
best thing is it looks stock going the road and you wont have to worry about hitting them on anything.