Do you like power deployable running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matemike

Reaction score
I found a RAM truck that I like but that has power deployable running boards. I inquired about swapping the power running boards for the Mopar wheel-to-wheel length stationary running boards. The dealer kindly offered to order the stationary boards for me and even do the swap, but unfortunately they will charge me full price, plus labor, and not buy back or give any discount for me leaving the power running boards with them. The removed power boards would essentially still be mine.

I have never owned a truck with power deployable running boards, but I have been around them and of course ridden in vehicles with them. I'm initially not a fan. Here are reasons why.

1. They are one more moving part that can break.
2. They do not offer protection on the rocker panel or lower door exteriors when in stowed position.
3. I have small kids. When my daughter was two she put her hand on my step-mom's power deployable step bar when it was out and someone closed the door which made the board retract and my daughters hand got caught in it. She did not get hurt or even pinched, but her hand was definitely caught and it scared her as well my wife and I. Our daughter is 8 now, but we have a 9 month old so we're still in the same boat of having small kids around those robot running boards.

Reasons I like the fixed wheel-to-wheel boards.

1. They provide rocker panel and some lower door protection against rocks and chips.
2. You can stand on them when washing the vehicle to reach the wind shield and roof without having to open a door to make a power deployable come out to stand on it. (I'm sure you can program the power running board to stay out if you close the door to wash the roof and whatnot. That way you can keep the door closed so you don't get water in the truck. ) But that's a chore every time you wash the truck to make sure the settings are right.
3. And lastly, I wanted the wheel-to wheel length running board because often enough something in the bed of the truck is near the front bed wall and right in the middle left and right. I'd like a long running board to be able to stand on and reach into that hard to reach spot.

So can anyone tell me if they didn't like power deployable boards at first and then they grew on them? Do you prefer them now?

Or

How simple and likely would it be for me to sell power deployable running boards that were removed from a new Ram 2500? And then I would just install some NFAb's or Mopar stationary running boards myself.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I like my Mopar deployable running boards.

1. They make the truck look cleaner.
2. They are angled when in the up position, they do not collect any debris. I had a 2018 Ram 1500 with wheel to wheel running boards and never used them to reach over the side of box to get anything, couldn't reach that far to begin with. Plus the winter time, they collect snow/ice.
3. The running boards have the safety feature to prevent anyone's foot from getting caught when going to the stowed position. My dog was standing on it when in the down position, I closed the door and it tried to stow in the up position but didn't because it sensed the weight and stopped.
4. The deployable running boards can be deployed to the down position through the Controls button on the touch screen vs. having to open the doors. They will stay deployed in the down position until you put the truck into gear or push the button on the screen to retract them. I do this every time I wash my truck.
5. I put splash/mud guards on my truck because those are more effective than running boards at protecting the rockers.

These are just my opinions and experiences. I think that you find that they are pretty well built and will work really well for you.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 21 Longhorn came with power running boards. Personally, I think the truck looks better with the running boards tucked away. The running boards are wide, when deployed slightly angled inward (safety), and sturdy. IIRC, they are rated at 300lbs. Couldn't find that number a few minutes ago in a few searches.

Washing the truck or cleaning the windshield.
- To keep the running boards from retracting. Apply slight foot pressure on the running board, then close the door. After ~10 seconds or whatever the delay is, the running board will very slightly try to retract, THEN remain deployed. After the door is opened and closed, the running board will retract normally.
- Actually, I use a three step stool. Helps me reach the entire roof, moon roof, windshield and rear windows for dry and clean.

Have had stationary running boards on a couple of Rams. In icey conditions, slipped off them once. While I liked the fixed running boards in general, hands down I'll take retracting running boards.

OP
OP
M

matemike

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guy. Y'all have pretty much answered every one of my questions/reasons.

When my daughters hand got pinched, I knew that if she had been putting any weight on it or especially if she were standing on it they would not have retracted. (We experimented with the safety features after the scare) But it was that there was no weight on the board but her hand was just there, maybe she was reaching for a pebble or bug that happened to be on it. Anyway, any moving object can and will find a way to get ya if you are around it long enough.

But great answers to some of my thoughts

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
- To keep the running boards from retracting. Apply slight foot pressure on the running board, then close the door. After ~10 seconds or whatever the delay is, the running board will very slightly try to retract, THEN remain deployed. After the door is opened and closed, the running board will retract normally.
Under Control button on the touch screen where the heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel and camera functions are, you should see Deploy Step button on the screen too. I think it will only be available when the truck is in park.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love my aftermarket power steps. Both my trucks have them. The only downside is no rocker protection, that’s it. Everything else about them is head and shoulders above.

OP
OP
M

matemike

Reaction score
So much appreciation.
Searched a little; I am not finding much on malfunctions.

My old truck (2011 Sierra 1500) had power folding mirrors and I experienced malfunctions. Pretty sure it all stemmed from a teen aged employee at a car wash who manually flipped mine back out after the truck exited the wash. I say “stemmed” from that time because they worked for a couple days after that. Then got intermittent.

Come to think of it, I’m not worried about anyone trying to manually deploy or retract my power steps.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like my Mopar deployable running boards.

1. They make the truck look cleaner.
2. They are angled when in the up position, they do not collect any debris. I had a 2018 Ram 1500 with wheel to wheel running boards and never used them to reach over the side of box to get anything, couldn't reach that far to begin with. Plus the winter time, they collect snow/ice.
3. The running boards have the safety feature to prevent anyone's foot from getting caught when going to the stowed position. My dog was standing on it when in the down position, I closed the door and it tried to stow in the up position but didn't because it sensed the weight and stopped.
4. The deployable running boards can be deployed to the down position through the Controls button on the touch screen vs. having to open the doors. They will stay deployed in the down position until you put the truck into gear or push the button on the screen to retract them. I do this every time I wash my truck.
5. I put splash/mud guards on my truck because those are more effective than running boards at protecting the rockers.

These are just my opinions and experiences. I think that you find that they are pretty well built and will work really well for you.

Just out of curiosity and I apologize if I've asked you before, but this will be my first winter with the power boards and I see you're also in a snowy/salty part of NY. I was wondering if you leave your boards on and functioning all winter or do you turn them off at times, or take them off entirely? I'm considering leaving them on and just turning them off when things are particularly sloppy.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Just out of curiosity and I apologize if I've asked you before, but this will be my first winter with the power boards and I see you're also in a snowy/salty part of NY. I was wondering if you leave your boards on and functioning all winter or do you turn them off at times, or take them off entirely? I'm considering leaving them on and just turning them off when things are particularly sloppy.
I leave them as they are, functioning and working as they should. If it's heavy and salty, I hit everything with a car wash pressure wand on rinse only.

Especially the hinge points.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I leave them as they are, functioning and working as they should. If it's heavy and salty, I hit everything with a car wash pressure wand on rinse only.

Especially the hinge points.

Good to know, thanks for your input.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
i have the factory deployable steps love them just the right height for the wife to climb in and not kick the interior panels.(bonus) 3rd year and no problems and last winter we broke records for the coldest month average of -40 c.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
2021 Limited - power deployable running boards took some time to get used to. Shin kickers in the first few weeks, then occasionally once or twice by months end ... now not an issue at all.

I too had Wheel to Wheel Running Boards and loved them - thinking I'd replace the power units too. But I've grown used to them now, appreciate them for their functionality. I've a Tonneau Cover so I don't need them to access the front portion of the bed and when it's run through the Car Wash, I crack the door to dry the middle rear window.

For me it was only getting used to it and I'm sticking with them ... however, I'm looking forward to see how well they retract/deploy in deep snow or packed snow conditions.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have them on my 2021 2500. Have had it is severe mud off road as well in regular use. I see zero downside to them and they have a much better and safer foot position in slippery conditions. That and for those with mobility issues, they cut the step in height to almost exactly half, which is far easier to deal with than the height of a standard running board on a heavy duty truck.

MaxGig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the factory ones that tuck up under the truck and I love them. I test drove a GMC Denali before getting my RAM and the GMC running boards were noisy and sounded as if the truck had hit something. The RAM ones are nice and quiet.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So can anyone tell me if they didn't like power deployable boards at first and then they grew on them? Do you prefer them now?
I was pretty sure I wouldn't like having power steps until the first time I used them. Now I'm a big fan of them. They are actually at a usable height. And unlike many fixed steps, I don't have to turn my foot just right to use them. Then there's the added benefit of using them to help minimize door dings by raising my truck to off-road 2 and deploying the steps. This doesn't protect against other trucks and SUV's, but the doors on most normal sized cars won't clear them, so the door will hit the step instead of the paint on my truck if your "parking lot neighbor" is careless when they open their car doors.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I've tried to buy AMP steps since May. They are unobtainium. I relented and asked my dealer to get me OEM power steps two months ago, and I'm still waiting. I've heard AMP manufactures RAM power running boards. They cost $1700, so if you remove yours you could probably sell them locally.

Today I punted and installed a $56 pair of Bully hoop steps. They look decent, and make it easier for my wife and myself to get in with our 35" tires and 2.5" leveling kit. I still intend to get the power steps when they become available. That 28" first step is a doozy for the over sixty crowd.

Side story:
A good friend's wife took a hard fall, and broke her arm jumping out of his RAM with factory power steps. There was a fire and they were evacuating. She jumped out to post their property with an Evac tag. It must have been the adrenaline. She jumped out too quick and got clipped by the steps deploying. My buddy didn't even see it happen, and couldn't see her laying on the ground. Nearby neighbors came running over before he realized his wife had taken a hard fall. They went straight to the ER.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I see a ton of them stuck down up here in northern mn.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I see a ton of them stuck down up here in northern mn.
Pics? I haven't seen a single case of them stuck down where I live. We get plenty of snow and ice in winter, although I'm sure nowhere near as much as where you are. But power steps don't seem to suffer because of it here. Maybe it's because they don't use salt here. There is also some preventive maintenance you can do to help prolong their life.