Dodge ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What’s up guys? I’m back again. Last time y’all nailed it so I’m back for more info. Im
not a mechanic but I still do my own work. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 2wd 4.7l extended cab SLT. My ignition has been slowly going out I believe. Changed batteries in fob. Fob works for unlocking and locking. I don’t have push to start remote or ignition. These are my questions. If I buy the ignition, the fob that fits that new ignition needs to come with it right? For the sake of not having to pay to program my old fob to that new ignition. Could someone send me the part number for the ignition and fob combo? I can’t afford the dealership. Vendors selling the part I need have not messaged me back in 4 days. I need to move on. My truck is my lifeline as it is everyone else’s. Just to be clear one more time I need the ignition and the fob for that new ignition to come with it? I gotta get this done. Thx fellas

marc cormier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
for info, the battery in the fob have nothing to do with the ignition, it's in there only for the lock/unlock/panic button. you can remove the battery and the truck will still start when you turn the key. it might help to get more info. what's happening, nothing when you turn the key, it crank but need more power...?

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you turn the key to crank it nothing happens. The dash lights hardly even respond anymore. You can wiggle the fob around in the ignition and maybe it will end up cranking but it’s gotten worse until the point it does nothing. But you can unlock and lock with it. Panic button works

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a way I can test the old ignition with a multimeter. I have it pulled out

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you have a TIPM you can bypass ignition and use a push button start, for 11 bucks or so. Of course, anyone could start the truck without a key, so if that bothers you it wont be the answer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry guys went on a little vacation with the family. Here’s what I’ve done to no luck
If you have a TIPM you can bypass ignition and use a push button start, for 11 bucks or so. Of course, anyone could start the truck without a key, so if that bothers you it wont be the answer.
I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500. This is what I’ve done. I replaced the battery. I replaced the ignition with a used ignition. The used ignition came with a key fob also. But then someone told me that replacing the ignition doesn’t mean that you need to replace the fob also. He told me that the ignition has nothing to do with what fob you use Bc the fob isn’t programmed to a certain ignition. I’ve just recently bought a new battery a month before this happened or longer. I used to could go in and out of the key fob port multiple times and it would finally start. It won’t start anymore at all. When you put the old key into the new/used ignition and turn the key to run door chimes work, lock unlock buttons work inside the truck. You cannot shift the gear shifter into any gear. Stays in park. I pulled the starter relay fuse and touched a wire to the the left and right ports of the fuse ports on the fuse box. Truck will turn over the motor to try to crank but it won’t crank. Now, I did get a key fob with the used ignition but that fob doesn’t do anything when you put it in the ignition. Nothing at all. The old key fob does get the same as it did before in the used ignition.I’ve checked all fuses that have to do with starting and ignition. How can I tell if it’s the starter relay fuse? You said something ab putting in a push to start possibly being the answer. I’m not a mechanic so could you post a picture of the push to start that i might need. Yesterday I pulled the battery cables off and they are zip tied together. The positive and negative are touching. That was at 5 p.m. yesterday and I they are still zip tied together so maybe a hard reset could work from what I understand. Battery is new. Starter turns over like I said with touching left and right ports of starter relay with a insulated piece of 120v type romex scrap piece of wire. Which tries to crank the engine but it will just turn over and turn over so the starter is fine. I like the push to start idea. My truck doesn’t have the button on the remote to crank the truck. Ive read where you can do a sequence of things to program a different remote, being the remote that came with the ignition i ordered. I’ve read all the forums. The ones about hold this button for so long and then hitting the panic button like this will program a different remote. Is this correct or possible? I’m a maintenance Chief for a investment company and this truck is my livelihood. Someone said the neutral control switch could be bad but I have no idea where it is. Radio won’t light up but other lights/chimes work. Lock buttons work inside the truck. Buttons on fob do nothing. Changed battery in fob. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but that’s pretty much the rundown. Pls help. How can I bypass ignition with push to start? Any advice would do me wonders. Thank you my friends

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry guys went on a little vacation with the family. Here’s what I’ve done to no luck

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500. This is what I’ve done. I replaced the battery. I replaced the ignition with a used ignition. The used ignition came with a key fob also. But then someone told me that replacing the ignition doesn’t mean that you need to replace the fob also. He told me that the ignition has nothing to do with what fob you use Bc the fob isn’t programmed to a certain ignition. I’ve just recently bought a new battery a month before this happened or longer. I used to could go in and out of the key fob port multiple times and it would finally start. It won’t start anymore at all. When you put the old key into the new/used ignition and turn the key to run door chimes work, lock unlock buttons work inside the truck. You cannot shift the gear shifter into any gear. Stays in park. I pulled the starter relay fuse and touched a wire to the the left and right ports of the fuse ports on the fuse box. Truck will turn over the motor to try to crank but it won’t crank. Now, I did get a key fob with the used ignition but that fob doesn’t do anything when you put it in the ignition. Nothing at all. The old key fob does get the same as it did before in the used ignition.I’ve checked all fuses that have to do with starting and ignition. How can I tell if it’s the starter relay fuse? You said something ab putting in a push to start possibly being the answer. I’m not a mechanic so could you post a picture of the push to start that i might need. Yesterday I pulled the battery cables off and they are zip tied together. The positive and negative are touching. That was at 5 p.m. yesterday and I they are still zip tied together so maybe a hard reset could work from what I understand. Battery is new. Starter turns over like I said with touching left and right ports of starter relay with a insulated piece of 120v type romex scrap piece of wire. Which tries to crank the engine but it will just turn over and turn over so the starter is fine. I like the push to start idea. My truck doesn’t have the button on the remote to crank the truck. Ive read where you can do a sequence of things to program a different remote, being the remote that came with the ignition i ordered. I’ve read all the forums. The ones about hold this button for so long and then hitting the panic button like this will program a different remote. Is this correct or possible? I’m a maintenance Chief for a investment company and this truck is my livelihood. Someone said the neutral control switch could be bad but I have no idea where it is. Radio won’t light up but other lights/chimes work. Lock buttons work inside the truck. Buttons on fob do nothing. Changed battery in fob. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but that’s pretty much the rundown. Pls help. How can I bypass ignition with push to start? Any advice would do me wonders. Thank you my friends
Bypass ignition youtube, several ram owners here have done this and it works, use cig relay so it doesnt stay hot. So did your last fob allow you to unlock steering? I'm pretty sure we can get your truck started, but not sure about the steering, one thing at a time hey. Do you have old fob and win module?

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I don’t think it ever locked the steering .I have the old fob and win module. When I replaced the win module if that is what the ignition is called. The old key will turn the new/used over to the run position and you get the same chimes. Dash illuminates. Radio does not turn on, can’t roll down windows down. The replacement fob does exactly what the old one was doing. Can’t put the truck out of park.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You should be able to start a truck in neutral, I'm not sure what that is about. It is fairly easy to bypass ignition, a ten dollar switch and a couple wires is all you need, maybe that will unlock shifter, not 100% on that. It might be that you need a win module flashed by dealer to fix this, with labor I'm guessing 600ish? I think that is worst case here.

It is rare that fuses/relays go, sometimes it is the TIPM weak solder joint. it's possible, worth a try, but TIPM's are known issue as well.

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should be able to start a truck in neutral, I'm not sure what that is about. It is fairly easy to bypass ignition, a ten dollar switch and a couple wires is all you need, maybe that will unlock shifter, not 100% on that. It might be that you need a win module flashed by dealer to fix this, with labor I'm guessing 600ish? I think that is worst case here.
Yeah the truck won’t come out of park. How can I get it out of park manually

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah the truck won’t come out of park. How can I get it out of park manually
I don't know partner, maybe someone does. Maybe will need a new WIN module correctly flashed, guessing there.

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know partner, maybe someone does. Maybe will need a new WIN module correctly flashed, guessing there.
I think I’m going to try the push to start rig. Maybe it will work. Starter turns over fine when you touch a wire to the relay left and right side port with relay pulled out

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think I’m going to try the push to start rig. Maybe it will work. Starter turns over fine when you touch a wire to the relay left and right side port with relay pulled out
You have 8 speed? If so this is shifter overide.

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it’s 545 rfe. 4th gear is the last gear on the up and down shift buttons. Right before you go into the last gear it says 4 on digital display if that helps any

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I do the $10 push button rig does that mean I still need the key in the ignition in the position before cranking? Or does my key fob still have to give a signal to the truck before the push button will even work?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No, the push button completes the circuit, it bypasses ignition, like a hot wire. There is a mechanical doohicky that shoots itself into the lever when in park inside steering column, that has to be receded to move shift lever in rfe. I'm not sure what part of the starting process releases that. Is 600 bucks a terrible burden right now? If so you got to do what you got to do. Research shifter stuck in park rfe ram for ghetto fabulous fixes, I'm pretty sure where there is a will there is a way.

OP
OP
D

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, the push button completes the circuit, it bypasses ignition, like a hot wire. There is a mechanical doohicky that shoots itself into the lever when in park inside steering column, that has to be receded to move shift lever in rfe. I'm not sure what part of the starting process releases that. Is 600 bucks a terrible burden right now? If so you got to do what you got to do. Research shifter stuck in park rfe ram for ghetto fabulous fixes, I'm pretty sure where there is a will there is a way.
I replaced the electric radiator fan, all of the brakes, new battery, and shift solenoid all in the past three months. I’m forgetting a few things I’m sure but those things have killed my cash flow. It says military by your name. I myself served 8 years and 2 tours. I was a “shore fire support man” thank you sir for your advice and service marine corp