Does the 5.7 Hemi burn oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought my '19 Classic in March 2020 with 11 miles.

The dealer gave me 3 free oil changes so i used them up.

I prefer to change my own oil so at 15k miles I changed it myself and put in 7qts of Amsoil signature series 5w20 /w amsoil filter as well. Checked the level and it was just up to the 2nd dot..perfect.

Now Amsoil claims this oil is good for 25k but i dont trust that...however i figured going 10k miles would be fine.

Fast forward to yesterday I decided to check my oil and to my surprise the level was right up the the "Add" line... I'm now at 24,700 miles.

Decided that its too cold to deal with changing the oil in my apartment parking lot I brought it to the dealer for an oil change.

So where did my oil go? How low is it really when it says "ADD"?

I suppose I should check my oil more frequently moving forward.

Any advice?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little bit of burning oil is engineered into engines by necessity, like what's left on the cylinder walls when the piston drops and some of what cooks out and vaporizes and gets drawn into the PCV.

I'm certain some of that factors into the oil change intervals, even if you had magic oil blessed by the Pope himself to stay slippery and clean forever, some of it would exit the engine through the tailpipe over time.

I generally do oil changes in the vicinity of 6k miles on my Ram and have never been down much, maybe half a pint from full at that point. About 38k miles now on my 5.7 and no ticks or other problems to report.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lose about half qt every oik cahnge

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
All engines will burn a little bit of oil. It’s unavoidable. How much though can vary depending on driving habits,ambient conditions, oil change interval, oil brands etc. There’s a lot of things that contribute to it.

Industry standards are around 3/4 quart per 1000-1500 miles I believe. Which is a lot in my opinion but that’s what manufactures go by.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont fill oil filter and also have a oil catch can....but i accounted for that when i say i lose about half a qt.

I buy a 5qt jug and 1qt bottle. After oil change I only fill the 5qt jug back up with waste oil.

Octane

Reaction score
Mine did with Mobil 1 5W-20. It did not with PUP 5W-20. That is a fact - please don't try to debate.
I have ran across several national brand motor oils thru the years that were more volatile than others and would burn off faster.I had a diesel once that burned a gallon of rotella every 1000 miles.Changed to Chevron delo 400 and did not burn off. The Shell people said that it didnt matter as it still protected my engine very well. But no thanks....

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
My 13 NEVER burned or leaked a drop. Bought t 48K miles, added full syn oil and went to 98K miles then traded it off..............

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I dont fill oil filter and also have a oil catch can....but i accounted for that when i say i lose about half a qt.

I buy a 5qt jug and 1qt bottle. After oil change I only fill the 5qt jug back up with waste oil.

What about quart #7......your total is 6

Octane

Reaction score
My 13 Ram stays so close to the same level between changes that I can't detect any oil loss on the dipstick level. I know some has to go somewhere through the PCV. 153k