Done with Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to Ram and Cummins after 14 years and $25K maintenance in a Ford F250 and a 6.0 powerstroke.
The 6.0, Powerchoke, explains everything. :welcome:

Big Diesel guys, wanna chime in on the CP3/4 issue so the OP is aware.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 International/Powerstroke was the last good diesel engine Ford used in my opinion. No emissions stuff to break down unlike the 6.0 with all of its EGR problems.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My coworker used to work for a Ford dealer. He bought a 6.0 power stroke in dually form and then he bulletproofed it. Egr delete and did head studs. He tows a 26ft toy hauler everywhere and it's been great for him. Welcome to ram though

ggrimm01

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500
Engine
Hello and welcome to the forum. I was that 6.0l guy also. He!! I bought 2 of them. Learned my lesson and went to Ram in 2011. Still have the 2011 and works like a champ. All stock. All highway miles, clean egr every couple years. Chande all filters on schedule. Just keeps working. I don't think you will be disappointed. Now buying a diesel at this point in time is a different story.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Welcome!

I was a service writer for an International dealership when the VT365 (6.0) and the MaxxForce 7 (6.4 PS) came out and STILL bought a 2008 6.4 Powerstroke. If you thought the 6.0 was bad.... grab one of those puppies. $15k later and I switched to a 6.7 Cummins and Ram. I haven't looked back since!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
My coworker used to work for a Ford dealer. He bought a 6.0 power stroke in dually form and then he bulletproofed it. Egr delete and did head studs. He tows a 26ft toy hauler everywhere and it's been great for him. Welcome to ram though
That does wonders for those engines...But the average guy really doesn't understand that. For a resourceful guy who can stud it, it's a sound inexpensive investment for a reliable output. For a guy who walks into a lot and buys a truck, the 6.0 is nothing but a headache.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Welcome!

I was a service writer for an International dealership when the VT365 (6.0) and the MaxxForce 7 (6.4 PS) came out and STILL bought a 2008 6.4 Powerstroke. If you thought the 6.0 was bad.... grab one of those puppies. $15k later and I switched to a 6.7 Cummins and Ram. I haven't looked back since!
Like the 6.7 isn't STILL a problem? Can you say, "Ceramic ball bearings in me turbo"? Cracked pistons, splitting radiators, bad turbos, and transmissions that fall out sooner than a 68RE...Ford, you make great LOOKING trucks but like women, when the looks wear off, the pain begins.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I just swapped to Ram 2500 6.7 (2016- new to me) last Aug of 2022 myself coming from a F250 6.0 that I bullet proofed myself, turbo rebuilt, etc/etc/etc as well as an abundant amount of electrical system upgrades with factory dual alternators just to chase out the electrical critters.....everything was working great with it afterwards and for its year had lower mileage....just tired of missing out on lake time with the boat due to always being something to do on the F250. And I've always wanted a Ram 2500 diesel anyways......

It is true that unless you can do all of that type work yourself, then it gets even more costly as @Scottly mentions.....which is true for any vehicle really. Just diesel tends to be even higher if you take it to a shop from my experience.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That does wonders for those engines...But the average guy really doesn't understand that. For a resourceful guy who can stud it, it's a sound inexpensive investment for a reliable output. For a guy who walks into a lot and buys a truck, the 6.0 is nothing but a headache.
my point was basically they can be bullet proofed if research is done to know what has to be done. Just like with ram problems. People research to try and remedy those problems

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
my point was basically they can be bullet proofed if research is done to know what has to be done. Just like with ram problems. People research to try and remedy those problems
Bullet proofing doesn't take you too far with the Powerstrokes.... My 6.4 was bulletproofed when the head gaskets popped at 54k miles. FORD bulletproofed it (The prev owner paid the delta cost for the non-OEM parts and Ford filed the labor under warranty). At 112k it blew the radiator. I swapped in a new one and then it blew the hoses. Put on new hoses (stupid, cheap, quick connect fittings failed anyhow), and then it started puking from the degas bottle. Brought it into our shop and wouldn't you know.. it blew the Black Diamond headgaskets WITH ARP head studs installed. This time, it cost me a short block to the tune of about $15k. Drove perfectly fine and normal until you hooked a load up to it. Then it would puke everywhere.

I'll take the 6.7 Cummins and the Ram problems all day long before I'd ever sit behind the wheel of another Powerstroke.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bullet proofing doesn't take you too far with the Powerstrokes.... My 6.4 was bulletproofed when the head gaskets popped at 54k miles. FORD bulletproofed it (The prev owner paid the delta cost for the non-OEM parts and Ford filed the labor under warranty). At 112k it blew the radiator. I swapped in a new one and then it blew the hoses. Put on new hoses (stupid, cheap, quick connect fittings failed anyhow), and then it started puking from the degas bottle. Brought it into our shop and wouldn't you know.. it blew the Black Diamond headgaskets WITH ARP head studs installed. This time, it cost me a short block to the tune of about $15k. Drove perfectly fine and normal until you hooked a load up to it. Then it would puke everywhere.

I'll take the 6.7 Cummins and the Ram problems all day long before I'd ever sit behind the wheel of another Powerstroke.
Ok cool