door lock issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Just bought a 2016 ram 1500 big horn with the v6. Found out some problems with the door locks:

so at the dealership (autonation ford), I used the keyfob to lock/unlock the truck, sometimes all the doors would unlock/lock except for the driver`s. The plunger on the drivers`s door would move a little bit, then if I hit the lock/unlock again, it would lock/unlock normally. Sometimes it is working on the first button press. I also tried the interior switches and it seems behaving the same way. Then the sales guy took it to put some gas in and came back he said it was working fine now and I tried it for 20 times maybe it was working everytime.

so I took the truck home and today I was playing with the lock to see if I can recreate the problem, and no matter if I use the interior buttons or the remote keyfob, sometimes all doors would lock/unlock correctly, sometimes no doors would lock/unlock until I hit whichever button 4,5 times. When it was not working, if I hit the buttons, sometimes I would hear a relay click, sometimes nothing at all, sometimes I would see hazard lights flashing and sometimes not.

When I was at the dealership I thought it was the driver`s door actuator but when I tried at home I`m leaning towards the body control module.

I found a thread talking about similar problems and it all comes down to replacing body control modules, but those are mostly MY13 trucks. Anybody has similar problems?

How much would it cost to replace and program the BCM at the dealer?

Can I get a used BCM online and replace it myself and use AlfaOBD to download the saved configuration files to avoid a trip to the dealer?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
You seem to have a good head for maintenance so when i say check your battery, im only saying it to remind you about the easy stuff first. A low or aging battery will play tricks on all the safety and limiter devices on our trucks.

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Thanks Nick. I replaced the battery in the keyfob just for giggles and this morning I tried again, it seemed to work better even though the battery in the key should not have anything to do with the buttons inside the truck. The first try unlocked all 3 other doors and the plunger on the driver`s door moved a little bit, second try unlocked it. so it seems to go back to the door actuator...I don`t even know at this point.

I will have to look at the battery to see if I can find out the manufacture date of the battery. Thanks!

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
well the problem went away by itself for like 3 weeks. now it is somewhat back. When I lock the door sometimes the driver`s side plunger will move a little bit and usually a second lock signal will lock it. Would it be door lock actuator?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I lock the door sometimes the driver`s side plunger will move a little bit and usually a second lock signal will lock it. Would it be door lock actuator?
It's worth pulling the door apart and check the lock/latch mechanism, give everything a good lube job. Lock actuators are cheap enough you could just replace it but it could be wiring connection/electrical.

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
It's worth pulling the door apart and check the lock/latch mechanism, give everything a good lube job. Lock actuators are cheap enough you could just replace it but it could be wiring connection/electrical.
Electrical issues are the ones I'm afraid of. They are hard to track down..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I second the idea of greasing everything up. It sounds like the lock wants to unlock, but it's fighting to. But you could always throw a new door lock actuator in and see about that. Just curious, how old is the truck battery? If it's old enough it may not be putting out enough power to work everything properly.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine's doing the same thing, already put a new battery under the hood and in the fob. took it to the dealership a couple of weeks ago and it worked just fine.....

thankfully was able to get video of it doing it along with the cruise control not coming on and have an appointment next monday. mine is under warranty though. they did mention the bcm on the previous visit, so i'll see what happens

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I second the idea of greasing everything up. It sounds like the lock wants to unlock, but it's fighting to. But you could always throw a new door lock actuator in and see about that. Just curious, how old is the truck battery? If it's old enough it may not be putting out enough power to work everything properly.
It looks like the battery is original, mine is a 16. I went to AutoZone to get the battery tested and it came out passed on every test. I replaced the keyfob battery after I started the thread two weeks ago then it worked until today.. could be coincidence..

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
mine's doing the same thing, already put a new battery under the hood and in the fob. took it to the dealership a couple of weeks ago and it worked just fine.....

thankfully was able to get video of it doing it along with the cruise control not coming on and have an appointment next monday. mine is under warranty though. they did mention the bcm on the previous visit, so i'll see what happens
What year is yours? Do you have the same problem using the door lock switch inside the truck?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi @cityredneck - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer!

What year is yours? Do you have the same problem using the door lock switch inside the truck?

Hi @xumengpeter - If at any point you decide to address this with your dealer, we are happy to get you set up with support for that!

Mark
RamCares

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It sounds like a door lock actuator going bad. My '07's left rear did the same, unlocked sometimes, but never locked after a while; you could see it trying though. My '10's left rear is now doing exactly the same thing, so I ordered a new actuator, they are cheap.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

sorry, didnt see the second part of the queswtion, yes, sometimes the inside buttons on the door wont do anything. sometimes it will try and sometimes it wont.

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
It sounds like a door lock actuator going bad. My '07's left rear did the same, unlocked sometimes, but never locked after a while; you could see it trying though. My '10's left rear is now doing exactly the same thing, so I ordered a new actuator, they are cheap.
Thanks. Sounds like I need to order an actuator..

OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
sorry, didnt see the second part of the queswtion, yes, sometimes the inside buttons on the door wont do anything. sometimes it will try and sometimes it wont.
Thanks. I hope it is not BCM on mine since I'm out of warranty.. and your other 3 doors work perfectly without any issues?

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I hope it is not BCM on mine since I'm out of warranty.. and your other 3 doors work perfectly without any issues?

Sometimes they do

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@xumengpeter @RamCares

i went to the dealership today, cruisecontrol worked as it should (of course), i showed the service advisor the video of the cruise control having to be turned on several times before it actually activated. the service advisor said the cruise control would have to act up for them in person before they could actually do anything with that (very frustrating, and i'm sure that wont happen until the bumper to bumper warranty is out and i will be forced to pay the deductable to get that repaired)

the door locks have been getting worse, having to hit unlock on the remote several times, at least once this weekend it wouldn't unlock any doors and i had to use the key to unlock it manually. then i tried to use the unlock button on the door panel and it wouldnt do anything either. thankfully the locks were acting up in front of the service advisor, so when i do get to take it in they will actually be able to see it happening.

the dealership doesnt have any loaners (for at least two weeks) and i need a vehicle to drive.

they asked if i could take it to the dealership i bought it from, but i do not care for their service at all.

so i guess ill make another appointment for 3 weeks out to see if they have any loaners then.

edit: i made an appointment for june 30th, ill call them the day before to see if they will have a loaner before wasting my time and gas a 3rd time to take it to the dealership....

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
@xumengpeter @RamCares

i went to the dealership today, cruisecontrol worked as it should (of course), i showed the service advisor the video of the cruise control having to be turned on several times before it actually activated. the service advisor said the cruise control would have to act up for them in person before they could actually do anything with that (very frustrating, and i'm sure that wont happen until the bumper to bumper warranty is out and i will be forced to pay the deductable to get that repaired)

the door locks have been getting worse, having to hit unlock on the remote several times, at least once this weekend it wouldn't unlock any doors and i had to use the key to unlock it manually. then i tried to use the unlock button on the door panel and it wouldnt do anything either. thankfully the locks were acting up in front of the service advisor, so when i do get to take it in they will actually be able to see it happening.

the dealership doesnt have any loaners (for at least two weeks) and i need a vehicle to drive.

they asked if i could take it to the dealership i bought it from, but i do not care for their service at all.

so i guess ill make another appointment for 3 weeks out to see if they have any loaners then.
Mine was not that bad, and only the driver's door was the problem. I replaced the door lock actuator and we will see how it goes.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was not that bad, and only the driver's door was the problem. I replaced the door lock actuator and we will see how it goes.

cool, hopefully your problem is solved!