Door locks not operating at all electronically.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattinSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I wanted to see if anyone had an idea of where to look to fix my door lock situation.

None of the locks work electronically, front or back. I bought a new master power window switch. Nothing changed. Window switches, power mirror switches, and window lock all work.

When I press the key fod, the body control module reacts, lights flash and horn beeps, but no doors lock. I opened up the driver said door panel , looked and saw no broken wires, i opened up the flex conduit from the door to the cab to see if any wires were broken. And I didn’t see any broke or rubbed wires. No fuses popped. Does this door harness plug directly into the back of the TIPM? If not where? Is the front door wire harness easily replaceable like the back door wiring harness are or more complicated. My rpm gauge isn’t reading correctly readings and my fuel gauge isn’t working. ( I swapped out in tank pump and sending unit and nothing changed), Both of these things went bad before the lock issue. I am planning on swapping out my TIPM on warranty. Think this will resolve the issue of the locks? The guy at the dodge dealership said that the TIPM should fix the gauges.

If not , I am not sure my next step.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
does it click at all like its trying at least or no? i'd check to see if the pins in the end of the harness all look even. maybe one can push out a bit?

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From the service manual:
OPERATION
The door lock motors are controlled by the instrument cluster. A positive and negative battery connection to the two motor terminals will cause the motor to move in one direction. Reversing the current will cause the motor to move in the opposite direction.

My guess is that there is a grounding problem in the instrument cluster.

ygohUat.png

UvUpfnb.png

Last edited:

Dave2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have the identical problem in my 2003 Ram 2500. Key fob activates the system. Horn beeps and lights flash, but door locks will not unlock or lock. Same goes for using the switches on the doors. No clicks, no noises, no unlock or lock. Based on what I've seen, it's probably the instrument cluster. How will I know for sure?

Hal_B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 turbo diesel
I have the identical problem in my 2003 Ram 2500. Key fob activates the system. Horn beeps and lights flash, but door locks will not unlock or lock. Same goes for using the switches on the doors. No clicks, no noises, no unlock or lock. Based on what I've seen, it's probably the instrument cluster. How will I know for sure?

I'm now experiencing the same issue in a 2016 Ram 3500. Did you find out what the issue was?

William Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same issue on 2012 1500. Driver door switch replaced with no reaction when lock or unlock is pressed. The FOB will unlock the doors but will not lock. It will set the alarm though.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery for a few minutes and re-attaching to "reboot" the system? I've been reading up on the nightmare of electrical problems rams and jeeps all have in common and a really good British jeep forum has had a lot of great stuff, but first thing is to pull the negative to see if that fixes it. If it does you probably have a bus communication issue that may or may not come back (it happened once though soo.)

The stock radio in my 05 took a crap the other day while I was listening to it. Parked the truck and 3 days later both batteries were dead, one was at 8 volts, I'm guessing from the amp not turning off because it wasn't told to by the radio when the key was removed. Pulled both sets of battery cables during the recharge and have not had the problem since. (pulled the stock radio for the time being)

Anyway, try the battery cable thing first. If that works you know it's not just a bad connection.

William Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the disconnect of the negative cable did not fix my problem. All of the actuators are making noise when the FOB is used. The FOB will only unlock. All lights flash when pressing lock button as they are supposed to. This has got to be a problem that someone else has had. Hope to find the fix without going to a Steelership to get *****.

jacoblane216

Reaction score
Ram Year
Late 2004 / 2004 1/2
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been trying to figure out my power locks on my Rumble Bee and everything seems to be pointing to the cluster being swapped by the previous owners who abused the truck. Unlike Matt who posted earlier in the thread, my truck does absolutely nothing when it comes to the locks. I’ve tried reprogramming several fobs that I knew where good, and a master window switch but the truck doesn’t even chime like a normal truck would when you’re programming fobs, no lights, no locking, no clicking sounds, NOTHING so I grabbed my test light and the switches were receiving power but not getting any locking action. My best guess is when I got the truck the extra cluster behind the seat that was allegedly “from another truck” actually was the truck’s original and the idiots swapped the cluster with one from a base model work truck with lower mileage and manual everything without knowing there was a difference. I’m already replacing my pcm since I’m dead certain it’s bad for other reasons so If that doesn’t fix anything and it more than likely won’t next is a reman cluster then after that a body control module.